Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone86

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 24, 2009, 03:02:36 PM
It's not a movie, but does anyone else like or watch Criminal Minds?  I'm addicted.

In the process of downloading the first series and have watched the first couple of episodes - excellent show!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: tyrone86 on February 19, 2009, 10:17:47 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 24, 2009, 03:02:36 PM
It's not a movie, but does anyone else like or watch Criminal Minds?  I'm addicted.

In the process of downloading the first series and have watched the first couple of episodes - excellent show!
We're on series 4 episode 15, shown last night in canada (I think) downloaded there this evening and watched.
Brillant show, it's now earned it's place with the west wing and frasier. 

I've downloaded Without a trace series 1-3 so far, it's good too but not as good as criminal minds.
I'm downloading bones now as well.

Any other good police/decetive shows out there?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

AFS

The Wire is the best police drama you'll ever see Pints.

tyrone86

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 19, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

The Wire, absolutely brilliant.  

The only problem is that the first series comes in MKV format and you have to download a few codec's to get it to run right.

pintsofguinness

Is it the wire or the shield that has the bad baldy cop in it?  I dont like whichever one that is. 

What I dont like about some of these police shows that they're just glorified soaps - look at the way the bill went. (and I use to love that show)

tyrone86

That was the Shield. I thought it was alright, but The Wire is much, much better

pintsofguinness

I might try it...the way to tell a good police show is if you can tune in to it at any time, if it's about the investigation and not who their shagging. 

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 19, 2009, 10:32:28 PM
Is it the wire or the shield that has the bad baldy cop in it?  I dont like whichever one that is. 

What I dont like about some of these police shows that they're just glorified soaps - look at the way the bill went. (and I use to love that show)
I don't think I've seen The Bill compared to The Wire or The Shield before!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Tony Baloney on February 20, 2009, 08:31:38 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 19, 2009, 10:32:28 PM

I don't think I've seen The Bill compared to The Wire or The Shield before!
It's no good now, it's like a soap opera but years ago it was the show!

Tony Baloney

Are Bill Cryer and gimp mark afficionado Reg Hollis still in it?

Main Street

Quote from: tyrone86 on February 19, 2009, 10:28:08 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 19, 2009, 10:22:27 PM

The Wire, absolutely brilliant.  

The only problem is that the first series comes in MKV format and you have to download a few codec's to get it to run right.
There are a wide variety of dvd rip formats available for download from series 1.

I started watching the Wire in December and thought I had enought material for 2 months with 5 series.
But I finished it all in about 2 weeks flat.
Hard to say what I liked the best, but series 2 on the docks was as close to perfect as anyone has achieved with a tv drama.
And it  was educational.

I downl Criminal Minds after Pints said he liked it.
It´s well done but they are dead keen to wrap up a crime of the century investigations in 20 or 30 minutes.
What you get in an episode is a fine tuned  bare synopsis of an investigation.
Mainly I´d watch an episode now and again as a good filler,  what you'd call standby entertainment.

Main Street

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on February 19, 2009, 04:50:16 PM

21 Grams - Not about drugs which I originally thought, but a great moving story, the whole film is layered so it keeps you thinking and guessing the whole time, Sean Penn and Naomi Watts are in this as well, a great cast and a great show
I presumed it was about drugs so I gave it a miss.

I'll give it a go now.

new devil

Mail street what did you DL to play the wire? Dloaded series 1 but it didnt play...dont really know much about this sort of thing

pintsofguinness

QuoteI downl Criminal Minds after Pints said he liked it.
It´s well done but they are dead keen to wrap up a crime of the century investigations in 20 or 30 minutes.
That's the way I like it, one of the criticisms I'd have of it though is they nearly always manage to get there in time to save another victim. 

It's a great show though.

I downloaded a couple of episodes of the wire last night so will try it over the weekend.

Watching Bones since I came home, have to say I'm loving it. 
Who knew they used flesh eating beetles to clean the bones of burn victims!!!  I didnt!

Newdevil - this is one I downloaded the wire from and it's playing fine
http://www.mininova.org/tor/622418