Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: J70 on June 23, 2022, 12:50:46 PM
Quote from: Loughshore2022 on June 20, 2022, 03:09:41 PM
I've watched around 200 films the past 18 months. The 2 favourites that come to mind are the 2019 film 'The Boat', there wasn't any dialogue in this, just a man trying to survive in a boat that was being controlled by a hidden force.

The other film is 'A perfect world' from 1993 with Kevin Costner. In the early 90s there seemed to be a trend of making films set in the 50s and 60s. This was about a boy forming a friendship with his kidnapper on a road trip.
The reason why this film isn't well known is because it was released the same week as Mrs Doubtfire which took the shine off it

A Perfect World was a superb film.

Directed by Eastwood if I recall correctly.

He's fairly one-dimensional, but I always find Costner a compelling actor when he's properly cast.
I would agree. I think he is definitely under-rated due to his "steady" demeanour and someone who doesn't generally do showy acting. Dances With Wolves is fantastic.

Taylor

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 23, 2022, 01:55:56 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 23, 2022, 12:50:46 PM
Quote from: Loughshore2022 on June 20, 2022, 03:09:41 PM
I've watched around 200 films the past 18 months. The 2 favourites that come to mind are the 2019 film 'The Boat', there wasn't any dialogue in this, just a man trying to survive in a boat that was being controlled by a hidden force.

The other film is 'A perfect world' from 1993 with Kevin Costner. In the early 90s there seemed to be a trend of making films set in the 50s and 60s. This was about a boy forming a friendship with his kidnapper on a road trip.
The reason why this film isn't well known is because it was released the same week as Mrs Doubtfire which took the shine off it

A Perfect World was a superb film.

Directed by Eastwood if I recall correctly.

He's fairly one-dimensional, but I always find Costner a compelling actor when he's properly cast.
I would agree. I think he is definitely under-rated due to his "steady" demeanour and someone who doesn't generally do showy acting. Dances With Wolves is fantastic.

Waterworld another Costner classic

Man Marker

Yellowstone is excellent.

nrico2006

Dances with Wolves is brilliant.  I also loved Costner in For the Love of the Game and Mr Brooks.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Milltown Row2

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 23, 2022, 02:46:57 PM
Dances with Wolves is brilliant.  I also loved Costner in For the Love of the Game and Mr Brooks.

Ya sort of liked him in Mr Brooks, considering all things lol
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

I liked Mr Brooks but it was fairly panned at the time. Demi Moore was shite though.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ONeill on June 24, 2022, 01:14:07 PM
I liked Mr Brooks but it was fairly panned at the time. Demi Moore was shite though.

Yeah, I much preferred her in Striptease, some acting
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

J70

Quote from: Man Marker on June 23, 2022, 02:06:12 PM

I wouldn't go quite that far.

Interesting idea and premise about the real collision of cultures and opposing claims on these landscapes (not just in the American west), excellent cinematography and action, but the plots are so ridiculously over the top and unrealistic it could be a cartoon.

lurganblue

Quote from: J70 on June 24, 2022, 01:45:41 PM
Quote from: Man Marker on June 23, 2022, 02:06:12 PM

I wouldn't go quite that far.

Interesting idea and premise about the real collision of cultures and opposing claims on these landscapes (not just in the American west), excellent cinematography and action, but the plots are so ridiculously over the top and unrealistic it could be a cartoon.

I watched one, very long episode, which i assume was a pilot?  wasnt for me.

J70

Field of Dreams is a superb film. Also loved 13 Days (has Bruce Greenwood, another actor I like), No Way Out, The Untouchables and even Oliver Stone's ludicrous JFK.

The less said about the likes of Robin Hood, the better, even if Alan Rickman is good fun in it. :)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: J70 on June 24, 2022, 01:49:08 PM

Field of Dreams is a superb film. Also loved 13 Days (has Bruce Greenwood, another actor I like), No Way Out, The Untouchables and even Oliver Stone's ludicrous JFK.

The less said about the likes of Robin Hood, the better, even if Alan Rickman is good fun in it. :)

It may have been ludicrous, but I'd read the book and the film just dotted the i's for me, whether any of it is close to the actual truth or not it made for good reading/film watching...Agreed on No way out, great plot and twist

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: J70 on June 24, 2022, 01:49:08 PM

That's a blast from the past - haven't watched it in years. Used to watch it all the time

An Watcher

Don't think I ever sat down and watched it from start to finish.  Seen bits n pieces at Christmas time but maybe I will this weekend

gallsman

https://youtu.be/Ug4bsd4LqqM

For any Field of Dreams fans who didn't see this first time around.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gallsman on June 24, 2022, 03:18:26 PM
https://youtu.be/Ug4bsd4LqqM

For any Field of Dreams fans who didn't see this first time around.

Very good, never seen that before.. was getting all emotional again lol