Movie recommendations

Started by corn02, October 23, 2007, 10:13:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Quote from: Hound on March 25, 2022, 01:28:04 PM
Anyone recommend the Power of Dog?

I thought Don't Look Up was dreadful. The first half particularly bad. A few laughs in the second half.

I just found Power of the Dog boring, and a bit unpleasant as someone else mentioned.

Don't Look Up was a fun, overstuffed mess in my opinion.

nrico2006

Quote from: screenexile on March 25, 2022, 03:10:25 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 25, 2022, 02:58:58 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 25, 2022, 01:42:15 PM
Quote from: Hound on March 25, 2022, 01:28:04 PM
Anyone recommend the Power of Dog?

I thought Don't Look Up was dreadful. The first half particularly bad. A few laughs in the second half.

I thought Power of the Dog was a heap of dung!

Very arty and just not that good at all. It's well acted but that's about as much as I can say about it.
I stuck with it for 30mins, the film has got something about it but there's also a meanness and ugliness which was not comfortable to take in at the time, I might get back to it. That actor Jesse Plemons - the nice brother,  it's a mystery on how does he go from (not quite) Robbie Coltrane physique to a perfect pristine Tour de France athlete Floyd Landis in that film about Lance Armstrong?

I think he was in great shape for that and then had to put on weight for Black Mass and hasn't lost it since . . . good to see it happens to big time actors as well as the rest of us!!

Sure it was stupid how big he was in El Camino in the flashbacks that corresponded to when he was thin in Breaking Bad.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Jell 0 Biafra

I actually really liked Power of the Dog.  Acting, scripting, and cinematography are top notch. It is unquestionably slow, though, so if that's a deal breaker, it isn't for you.   We ended up watching it over two nights, so that probably helped.  I also had no expectations going in (missus picked it), so that might have helped too.

Agree with J70 on Don't Look Up.  A good laugh for the most part.  Probably plays better for those who have lived Stateside for a good bit.

screenexile

Watched Batman the other night... as a cinema experience it was great with brilliant action scenes and all the loud noises rattling through your head as you'd expect.

The overall film though was just sad... it was trying to be dark like the Joker but whereas it was more edgy and shocking I just found the Batman to be a sad depressing tale and I really wasn't interested in the film as a whole. Would be interested to hear what anyone else thought?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: screenexile on April 04, 2022, 10:43:56 AM
Watched Batman the other night... as a cinema experience it was great with brilliant action scenes and all the loud noises rattling through your head as you'd expect.

The overall film though was just sad... it was trying to be dark like the Joker but whereas it was more edgy and shocking I just found the Batman to be a sad depressing tale and I really wasn't interested in the film as a whole. Would be interested to hear what anyone else thought?
There is always an element of darkness in Gotham but the reviews really did hammer home that element of it, and combined with the almost 3 hr running time, I was really put off it. However the missus and I went to see it about 3 weeks ago and we both really enjoyed it and it certainly didn't feel like 3 hrs (although I did have my now customary power nap in the middle of it!). Certainly not an upbeat movie but what Batman movie is as most that focus 9n Batman himself (rather than The Joker) centre on someone struggling to get past the fact that his parents were murdered in front of him as a child (spoiler alert).

J70

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 04, 2022, 11:30:00 AM
Quote from: screenexile on April 04, 2022, 10:43:56 AM

There is always an element of darkness in Gotham but the reviews really did hammer home that element of it, and combined with the almost 3 hr running time, I was really put off it. However the missus and I went to see it about 3 weeks ago and we both really enjoyed it and it certainly didn't feel like 3 hrs (although I did have my now customary power nap in the middle of it!). Certainly not an upbeat movie but what Batman movie is as most that focus 9n Batman himself (rather than The Joker) centre on someone struggling to get past the fact that his parents were murdered in front of him as a child (spoiler alert).

;D

JPGJOHNNYG

Really enjoyed death on the nile with Ustinov. I though the new one was fairly shit and with playstation like backdrops. Dont really understand why Brannagh feels the need to redo these films when the originals were great with far superior casts.

Milltown Row2

Watched 2 films on Netflix over the weekend.. The Angel. Egyptian Jewish spy true story, very good snd The Forgotten battle based on the disastrous landings in Holland, also very good
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Olly

Finally got around to watching the Godfather.

It's about a boy in America who gives out great advice to locals and friends. People come to him for guidance and advice and it comes to an abrupt end when he was frigging about in a garden with a young lad and collapsed and died. Early signs point to a heart attack. Before that he was shot loads of times by a few boys he must not have advised.

Fast forward about 20 years and his son inherits his dad's talents and people come to him for advice and the film ends with other men kissing his ring which infuriates his wife who watches it from behind a door. Looking forward to the 2nd one.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

Milltown Row2

Just watched the latest Marvel movie, Dr Strange's new one. Was alright, wasn't great
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

J70

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 05, 2022, 10:46:17 PM
Just watched the latest Marvel movie, Dr Strange's new one. Was alright, wasn't great

Been doing the Marvel line up with my young lad this past couple of months. Just got to End Game last week (we skipped Thor Dark World which is supposedly utter shite).

Dr strange, while decent enough, was my least favourite so far. Nothing to do with the cast or the way it was made. Just find the premise of the character less interesting.m

But we'll watch the new Dr Strange too as he'll want to see it.

JPGJOHNNYG

I was really looking forward to Northman and it was filmed in Norn Iron.  It has good reviews but is really dung I'm afraid

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on May 25, 2022, 12:02:04 AM
I was really looking forward to Northman and it was filmed in Norn Iron.  It has good reviews but is really dung I'm afraid

Really? Was actually going to drag the wife kicking and screaming to cinema to watch it, she hates that stuff! Was expecting more

BrotherMore6592

lurganblue

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 05, 2022, 10:46:17 PM

I think i made a bit of a boo boo with this one.  I brought the child to the cinema to see it and he would be a bit of a sensitive soul.  Some parts of this scared the sh*t out of him.  :D ach sure, character building