Day Trips

Started by toby47, July 02, 2022, 02:44:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toby47

Anyone recommend any good day trips, or things to do beyond the obvious tourist attractions eg Giants Causeway, Cliffs of Moher, Guinness tour etc.

A few Sunday's ago when the weather was good we got the train to Bangor (obviously there's not much there) and dandered along the Coast, about an hour took us to Helens Bay, chilled there for a bit, had a few light refreshments with us. Then walked on from there to Holywood where we had food booked at the Mexican, 'La Taqueria' stayed on for a few drinks and got the train back to Belfast.

A random wee day but I thoroughly enjoyed it. The weather was brilliant which made it, the coastal walk was lovely, the food at La Taqueria was brilliant and it was just something different. The missus' friend had done the walk a few weeks before us and recommended it, I wasn't mad about the idea TBH but would definitely recommend it.

Dougal Maguire

Ballycopeland Windmill
Careful now

Sandino

Derry to Coleraine by train, great run.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

laoislad

Wicklow is great for day trips. Glendalough, Blessington Lakes, Sally Gap, Bray to Greystones cliff walk.
Loads of mountains for hikes to be done there also if you're into that.
Some great spots.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Loughshore2022

I don't go on day trips as you are likely to have to be around Instagram type youth tourists at any tourist location. However in 2014 I drove to the Griannan of Aileach in Inishowen. It made me feel like a real primitive man standing there on a windy day with my hair blowing. It is interesting that the original capital of Tir Eoghain is in modern day Donegal. Judging by historic maps Inis Eoghain had periods in Tir Eoghain and Tir Chonaill.

Gmac

Share discovery village? Anyone been

gawa316

Quote from: Gmac on July 02, 2022, 07:08:38 PM

Use to work there...great spot!

My mate is the director out there now and has introduced a lot of new activities

charlieTully

Get your ass up the mournes. You could do a different day trip every day for a year and not see it all. Best views ever all year round.

Jeepers Creepers

As said up the mournes. Lots of different walks and you'll need get bored (maybe lost but not bored). Great walk also from Giants causeway to ballintoy along the coast. Not to taxing and the scenery is something else. Just judge the low tide at white park bay. Finish with a few pints in Balintoy and make your way back to ballycastle.

weareros

Strandhill area of Sligo has a lot to do. You can climb Knocknarea .to see an unexcavated cairn at top, reputed to be the final burial spot of Medbh. Carrowmore is also near by that has more megalithic monuments including a passage grave older than Newgrange. In the village itself, look out at the surfers, stop into Mammy Johnson's for great ice-cream, take a seaweed bath at Voya and into the Strand Bar for a pint and good grub.

marty34

Quote from: weareros on July 03, 2022, 01:22:37 PM
Strandhill area of Sligo has a lot to do. You can climb Knocknarea .to see an unexcavated cairn at top, reputed to be the final burial spot of Medbh. Carrowmore is also near by that has more megalithic monuments including a passage grave older than Newgrange. In the village itself, look out at the surfers, stop into Mammy Johnson's for great ice-cream, take a seaweed bath at Voya and into the Strand Bar for a pint and good grub.

I'd need a week to do all that Weareros!

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Loughshore2022 on July 02, 2022, 06:38:52 PM
I don't go on day trips as you are likely to have to be around Instagram type youth tourists at any tourist location. However in 2014 I drove to the Griannan of Aileach in Inishowen. It made me feel like a real primitive man standing there on a windy day with my hair blowing. It is interesting that the original capital of Tir Eoghain is in modern day Donegal. Judging by historic maps Inis Eoghain had periods in Tir Eoghain and Tir Chonaill.

Donegal is two places.

Tír Chonaill and Inis Eoghain make up modern day Dún na nGall..

rosnarun

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on July 03, 2022, 01:31:14 PM
Quote from: Loughshore2022 on July 02, 2022, 06:38:52 PM

Donegal is two places.

Tír Chonaill and Inis Eoghain make up modern day Dún na nGall..

not  true but most of the people are schizophrenic
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

gallsman

Quote from: gawa316 on July 02, 2022, 09:31:00 PM
Quote from: Gmac on July 02, 2022, 07:08:38 PM

Use to work there...great spot!

My mate is the director out there now and has introduced a lot of new activities

Is that the Share Centre? Went in P7 as part of a cross community yoke. Was quite common in BElfast schools.