Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I did a 10k race years ago where it was 400 metres short. It is very frustrating because if that race was the right length it would have been my pb! That's usually a great race - they'll be mortified.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 30, 2022, 09:09:32 PM
I did a 10k race years ago where it was 400 metres short. It is very frustrating because if that race was the right length it would have been my pb! That's usually a great race - they'll be mortified.

Though if you stick to your strava result then you're fine
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trueblue1234

For you more seasoned runners, got a half marathon up now next wkend. I haven't really been following any training plan and have just been tipping on myself. Had few injury issues in Jan so been a very slow build up pace wise. Have the distance up to 12 miles there at around 8.45 per mile without really killing myself. But at the same time I'd know I'd been running!!
Would have loved to come in at 1hr 45 but that would mean nearly 8min miles. Is that too optimistic do you think? Don't want to hit the wall completely on the last mile or two.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

imtommygunn

I don't want to be too pessimistic but probably...

Are there any pacers or anything? Might be worth trying it for a few mile and seeing how you go but if you're stretching it drop back a bit.

laoislad

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 22, 2022, 12:30:39 PM
For you more seasoned runners, got a half marathon up now next wkend. I haven't really been following any training plan and have just been tipping on myself. Had few injury issues in Jan so been a very slow build up pace wise. Have the distance up to 12 miles there at around 8.45 per mile without really killing myself. But at the same time I'd know I'd been running!!
Would have loved to come in at 1hr 45 but that would mean nearly 8min miles. Is that too optimistic do you think? Don't want to hit the wall completely on the last mile or two.
Have you run any miles at 8 min pace? It be a big enough jump to hold it for 13 miles if you're only used to doing 8:45 pace. If I was you I'd run the first 7-8 miles at 8:45 pace and if feeling good then push the pace for the last 5 miles.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

trueblue1234

Quote from: laoislad on March 22, 2022, 12:38:29 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 22, 2022, 12:30:39 PM
Have you run any miles at 8 min pace? It be a big enough jump to hold it for 13 miles if you're only used to doing 8:45 pace. If I was you I'd run the first 7-8 miles at 8:45 pace and if feeling good then push the pace for the last 5 miles.

Yeah done a few tempo runs with 2 mile warm up and then 3 miles at around the 7.30. But I know I'd struggle to have kept that pace for anything more than 4-5 miles. I've been really slack at tracking times and done no trial runs so really bit clueless for pace.

imtommygunn

I would suggest go conservative for a bit then see how you feel. I think it's too big a jump but you will run quicker than training pace.

trueblue1234

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 22, 2022, 12:36:33 PM

Are there any pacers or anything? Might be worth trying it for a few mile and seeing how you go but if you're stretching it drop back a bit.
Yeah there's a 1.45 pacer. Which was part of the reason I was going to aim for if. But then when I worked out the pace per mile I was a bit surprised!!
First race in a long time so I suppose I'll have a better idea afterwards anyway!!

bigfrank

Have a 1/2 marathon too,Likely the same one as was mentioned above. Ran the bundoran 10 miler few weeks ago in 1.17 so was hoping I would be able to stay with the 1.45 pacer next week but have never ran a half marathon race so could be wishful thinking. Training has been so so but gonna try buck myself up in the next 10 days or so to give the body a chance in the race,considering running the 13.1 this sat just so the body knows it can do it,would leave me 8 days to race,prob not ideal

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 22, 2022, 01:10:32 PM

Yeah there's a 1.45 pacer. Which was part of the reason I was going to aim for if. But then when I worked out the pace per mile I was a bit surprised!!
First race in a long time so I suppose I'll have a better idea afterwards anyway!!

What type of course is it? A good mixture of flat and hills?

If you want to keep with the pacer and not sure of your own pace then hang back from him, don't pressurize yourself to keep staying with him as the hills can catch you out further on down the road, if you feel strong enough with around 3 miles then kick on. 1.45 is decent enough for a Half Marathon
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trueblue1234

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 22, 2022, 01:32:56 PM

If you want to keep with the pacer and not sure of your own pace then hang back from him, don't pressurize yourself to keep staying with him as the hills can catch you out further on down the road, if you feel strong enough with around 3 miles then kick on. 1.45 is decent enough for a Half Marathon
It's a mixed course to be honest. So not too bad. No real killer hills but a lot of up and down.
Really looking forward to it now. Just going to try and get a few short runs in over the next week or so and then few days rest.

laoislad

Myself and Brokencrossbar1 had signed up to do a Half a few weeks ago but both of us got Covid the week of it!  ::)
Wouldn't mind but training had been going really well for me, had hoped for a 1:45 originally but was going to go with the sub 1:40 pacer based on how my training had gone. Was gutted I couldn't do it.
It's taken me a few weeks to get back running normally, couldn't breathe properly while running the first week back after having it. Awful dose to get.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 22, 2022, 01:42:46 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 22, 2022, 01:32:56 PM

It's a mixed course to be honest. So not too bad. No real killer hills but a lot of up and down.
Really looking forward to it now. Just going to try and get a few short runs in over the next week or so and then few days rest.

On the downs just stretch the legs that bit longer than normal and let the hill lift the pace, if its a popular race try and get away from the slow start as best you can and get into your rhythm early doors.

screenexile

Have a half coming up in the middle of May but haven't been able to run without my calf going for nearly 8 weeks... I think the physio has me on the right track now but it'll only be 6 weeks of training barring injury.

Is it doable? I'm not too arsed about time at this stage just hoping to get around in less than 2 hours.

The main goal is Dublin at the end of October so hopefully i can go full steam ahead for that.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on March 22, 2022, 03:02:34 PM
Have a half coming up in the middle of May but haven't been able to run without my calf going for nearly 8 weeks... I think the physio has me on the right track now but it'll only be 6 weeks of training barring injury.

Is it doable? I'm not too arsed about time at this stage just hoping to get around in less than 2 hours.

The main goal is Dublin at the end of October so hopefully i can go full steam ahead for that.

Your taking this new Jack Reacher to heart lol!! A good paced jog will get you round without hampering the calf, providing your physio is confident. Is there a pace that you feel that the calf starts to ache or a distance?