AIF 2021 -- Maigh Eo vs Tír Eoghain

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, August 28, 2021, 06:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on September 12, 2021, 11:16:32 AM
Tyrone were worthy winners, I thought this was finally going to be Mayo's day but players like Ruane, O'Shea, O'Connor, Mullin - to name just a few - who they needed to be at the top of their game, weren't. Horan found badly wanting on the sideline in a final again in terms of personnel changes and assessing who's actually playing well and who might need to be introduced to change things.

Mayo people are defensive of this team and rightly so, have played and won on so many big days bar the final day, but surely at this stage even the locals must see that some players are not being unjustly used as lightning rods for criticism by outsiders, if players are injured or not at full tilt to the point where they can't perform then you trust the panel, otherwise don't put that out as an excuse for poor performance.

Mayo have had umpteen chances but it was another no show yesterday in the composure stakes from too many of them and all my sympathies today lie with Lee Keegan, what a player this man is and has been for the last ten years. If I had to nail down my all time greatest 15 I've seen in person, he'd walk onto it ahead of other players with multiple AI's in the back pocket, an absolute warrior again yesterday. I realise that "deserves got nothing to do with it" but he is surely the greatest player not to have the Senior Inter County medal at this stage.

I think Mayo will bounce back like they always do but that defeat will likely have a lasting effect moreso than all of the Dublin finals. Until they address the lack of natural scorers or finishers they will always struggle to get over line though.

Would agree on Keegan, that was one of the great AI final performances. Not quite sure who judged McCurry as having played better than keegan but they must have been watching a different match, no way was McCurry MOTM.

Rois

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on September 12, 2021, 11:16:32 AM

Mayo have had umpteen chances but it was another no show yesterday in the composure stakes from too many of them and all my sympathies today lie with Lee Keegan, what a player this man is and has been for the last ten years. If I had to nail down my all time greatest 15 I've seen in person, he'd walk onto it ahead of other players with multiple AI's in the back pocket, an absolute warrior again yesterday. I realise that "deserves got nothing to do with it" but he is surely the greatest player not to have the Senior Inter County medal at this stage.
Lee Keegan is my favourite player outside of Tyrone, and has been for a long time. I felt most for him yesterday, and definitely in the modern game he is one of the best not to have a medal.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Comhbhrón Maigh Eo   :'(

Comhghairdeas Tír Eoghain!  :D

Yeoooooww!

Feel for Mayo, but they didn't rise to the necessary levels of "intinsity" (copyright Spillane) yesterday.

Some of the southern sports "pundits" need to take a long, hard look at themselves, and ditch the tinted glasses.

That Tyrone team may be some time, so they had better get used to it.  ;)

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

From the Bunker

Quote from: Lamh Dhearg Alba on September 11, 2021, 11:42:06 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 11, 2021, 08:53:27 PM
Well Done Tyrone! Who would have thought earlier on in the year!

The better team won today and Mayo Posters need to such it up and move on.

Talk of the worst team ever to win an AI is poor form.

This team has won the AI on merit. Talk of how great they are lies in the years ahead.

But today they are the best in Ireland.

Once again well done Tyrone and enjoy the celebrations into the new year.

That's real class From the Bunker, fair play to you.

Still hard to believe for me. I called for Mickey to go in recent years because I believed - despite his fantastic service and huge knowledge - that his conservatism and micro management was holding a good team back. But I never believed that simply changing management would sort everything and I felt any new manager would need time to implement their ideas. For Logan and Dooher and co to have done this in a hugely shortened season is incredible.

Small margins again but I do think we deserved it. We'll enjoy this first and who knows what the future holds, but tantalising to think what we could do with a fully fit McShane at full forward after a run of games and likewise Canavan properly bedded in and a role found for McKenna that maximises his considerable talent. This team can still be better.

My condolences to Mayo. Form guide was so limited that it was hard to be sure what to read into the semis. I did wonder were Dublin 2021 really not that great. Maybe not, but today did suggest Mayo were perhaps over rated on the back of that win. I wish Mayo all the best though and I hope their day comes very soon.

To everyone associated with Tyrone: congratulations  :D

Coming into this game, I had a feeling of 2012 all over again. We beat reigning champions Dublin with a young team that year.

That 2012 final closed out pretty much like yesterdays game.

cjx

Quote from: dublin7 on September 12, 2021, 12:48:51 AM
Tyrone were worthy winners. Shot selection/decision making/skill levels were piss piss poor form Mayo while Tyrone made their chances count.

What did Mayo work on in training all season. The pressure came on today and the Mayo forwards were embarrassingly bad . Didn't want to know and  when pressure came on tonight.

Serious questions need to be asked of Horan and his mangement team. Shambolic is the only way to describe that Mayo performance and once again Aidan O'Shea scores nothing on All Ireland finals day when the pressure osoon
The dynamic between Horan and especially one of his management team younger fella black hair was bad during the match with Horan turning away in near disgust after the other fella had been very strongly putting points (or giving out). They destroy themselves. The thing is curses only work if you believe them and Mayo, in the back of their minds, clearly do believe that 'curse'.

Farrandeelin

Well done to Tyrone and congrats to their supporters here.

Still hurting this morning though. Too many big names let themselves down yesterday on the Mayo side unfortunately. I could go on an all out rant, but nothing would change. But can anyone tell me why did James Carr only see 2 minutes, Aiden Orme about 5 more or so when it was blatently clear that our forwards were not up to scratch? I'm not Carr's biggest fan by any means, but putting him on in the middle of injury time beggars belief.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

yellowcard

I would definitely question some of Horans decision making on the line. Obviously he knows the players better than anybody but some of his substitutions or lack of them were not based on performance alone.

Halfquarter

Quote from: cjx on September 12, 2021, 12:00:40 PM
Tyrone were worthy winners. Shot selection/decision making/skill levels were piss piss poor form Mayo while Tyrone made their chances count.

What did Mayo work on in training all season. The pressure came on today and the Mayo forwards were embarrassingly bad . Didn't want to know and  when pressure came on tonight.

Serious questions need to be asked of Horan and his mangement team. Shambolic is the only way to describe that Mayo performance and once again Aidan O'Shea scores nothing on All Ireland finals day when the pressure osoon
The dynamic between Horan and especially one of his management team younger fella black hair was bad during the match with Horan turning away in near disgust after the other fella had been very strongly putting points (or giving out). They destroy themselves. The thing is curses only work if you believe them and Mayo, in the back of their minds, clearly do believe that 'curse'.

Ridiculous statement about the curse.
I'm of a certain age and for the first forty years of my life the curse didn't exist, it's a modern invention, spurred aging by a headline grabbing media.

tyrone08

Was there a meal etc after the match, if so where was it held?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Halfquarter on September 12, 2021, 12:21:48 PM

Ridiculous statement about the curse.
I'm of a certain age and for the first forty years of my life the curse didn't exist, it's a modern invention, spurred aging by a headline grabbing media.

Yeah, there was no talk of the Curse in 1985 or 1989.

clarshack

Quote from: tyrone08 on September 12, 2021, 12:23:04 PM

Armagh City Hotel

blewuporstuffed

Armagh City.
Homecoming in omagh today at 2.30
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

tyrone08

Quote from: clarshack on September 12, 2021, 12:32:36 PM

Armagh City Hotel

Thanks. Usually its in the city west. Was it televised

clarshack

Watched a bit of the game when I got home last night and I couldn't help but notice Horan's body language on the line, it just wasn't good.

Going forward I think Mayo need to bring in a manager that has experience of winning the All-Ireland in order to get them over the line.

yellowcard