Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: LCohen on October 27, 2020, 12:29:15 PM
Quote from: hardstation on October 27, 2020, 09:19:57 AM
Absolutely they should get teams up for the opening of it or some other piss about match but not a national final. The supporters of those counties deserve fair access to that game. Not dragged the entire length of the country.

Agree with that. The stadium should be developed to meet a need that is there. Not to move games around that already can be accommodated. I get the point that Clones would need major redevelopment and that is probably not going to happen and it's therefore legitimate to look somewhere else in Ulster for a leading stadium.

Somewhere around Dungannon would probably suit most but it's going to be Casement

Apart from a Nathan Carter concert who's going to go a gig in Dungannon with very few hotels in the area?

This is a multi functional stadium.......

rrhf

Absolutely they should get teams up for the opening of it or some other piss about match but not a national final. The supporters of those counties deserve fair access to that game. Not dragged the entire length of the country.

Agree with that. The stadium should be developed to meet a need that is there. Not to move games around that already can be accommodated. I get the point that Clones would need major redevelopment and that is probably not going to happen and it's therefore legitimate to look somewhere else in Ulster for a leading stadium.

Somewhere around Dungannon would probably suit most but it's going to be Casement
Couldnt keep the crowds off the pitch.... ;)

LCohen

Quote from: rosnarun on October 27, 2020, 04:15:49 PM

surely the point of a new stadium wouild be to broaden the appeal rather  than to Stay the Same

Was that the basis the public funding was obtained on?

There will have been a business plan for each stadium investment. Games promised in business plan can't be recycled in to business plans b, c, and d.

LCohen

Quote from: johnnycool on October 27, 2020, 04:41:09 PM

Apart from a Nathan Carter concert who's going to go a gig in Dungannon with very few hotels in the area?

I wasn't thinking about gigs. How many gigs was Casement planning to hold and how many of these would have been additional gigs for NI (rather than displaced from another venue?)

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jeepers Creepers

No reason why it couldn't facilitate the following as well as GAA. Soccer, rugby, Boxing, music

Baile Brigín 2

Thats gas. Here is me thinking we are where we are because the Antrim County Board faked H&S documents wheras soccer and rugby did it right.

marty34

Quote from: hardstation on October 28, 2020, 11:24:47 AM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on October 28, 2020, 09:57:47 AM
No reason why it couldn't facilitate the following as well as GAA. Soccer, rugby, Boxing, music
Ye see, that reflection of where we are on this is kind of annoying.

I'm under no illusion that Antrim GAA has been swindled. We have handed over our county ground and our greatest monetary asset and in return we've been shoehorned into the ha'penny place at Corrigan. And that's no slight on St. John's by the way, they have a very good club facility but as regards to it being a county ground, it is possibly the worst in Ireland.

If that was done to facilitate other sports then that's an even bigger ballix. We are constantly told that this is a game changer for Antrim GAA, it'll awaken the sleeping giant, West Belfast will be the capital of Ulster GAA, the GAA will get great exposure on the Andytown Road, and then we have this......sure if there isn't much use for the GAA, then soccer, rugby etc can use it. We are competing against these other sports. Money is being pumped into Gaelfast to raise the profile of GAA in Belfast and at the same time we are considering putting other major sporting events into our flagship stadium in that area?

On top of that, a major argument for "getcasementbuilt" is that soccer and rugby got their stadiums so we deserve ours. That being the case, soccer, rugby and everything else can fcuk right off.
This is not me being an ultra-Gael with a no foreign games mentality either. To me, Casement Park is a GAA ground and that's where our sole focus should lie. Other sports shouldn't be anywhere near the discussion, let alone being used as reasons why it is needed.

But no NHL Final!!

clonadmad

Quote from: LCohen on October 27, 2020, 11:26:56 PM

I wasn't thinking about gigs. How many gigs was Casement planning to hold and how many of these would have been additional gigs for NI (rather than displaced from another venue?)

Condition of the planning is 3 Concerts per year

clonadmad

By that logic Croke Park should have been put somewhere central like Athlone

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: hardstation on October 28, 2020, 11:24:47 AM
Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on October 28, 2020, 09:57:47 AM
Ye see, that reflection of where we are on this is kind of annoying.

I'm under no illusion that Antrim GAA has been swindled. We have handed over our county ground and our greatest monetary asset and in return we've been shoehorned into the ha'penny place at Corrigan. And that's no slight on St. John's by the way, they have a very good club facility but as regards to it being a county ground, it is possibly the worst in Ireland.

If that was done to facilitate other sports then that's an even bigger ballix. We are constantly told that this is a game changer for Antrim GAA, it'll awaken the sleeping giant, West Belfast will be the capital of Ulster GAA, the GAA will get great exposure on the Andytown Road, and then we have this......sure if there isn't much use for the GAA, then soccer, rugby etc can use it. We are competing against these other sports. Money is being pumped into Gaelfast to raise the profile of GAA in Belfast and at the same time we are considering putting other major sporting events into our flagship stadium in that area?

On top of that, a major argument for "getcasementbuilt" is that soccer and rugby got their stadiums so we deserve ours. That being the case, soccer, rugby and everything else can fcuk right off.
This is not me being an ultra-Gael with a no foreign games mentality either. To me, Casement Park is a GAA ground and that's where our sole focus should lie. Other sports shouldn't be anywhere near the discussion, let alone being used as reasons why it is needed.

I'm under no illusion that Antrim GAA has been swindled. Me neither. We all know that Antrim GAA have been shafted. My point being that if its going/has to be built, it has to be used. I'm fed up arguing with people who want it built for the sake of it. And listening to conversations on how the entertainment side had been booked out in the supposed year of opening then yes it seems its sole intention was to be a municipal facility owned by Ulster GAA.
I would like to see it built and a full itinerary of GAA fixtures for both club and county published for each year. Then I don't see why it couldnt used for concerts, Irish rugby or soccer that not other local stadium couldn't facilitate.

michaelg

Quote from: clonadmad on October 28, 2020, 12:13:36 PM

Do you think both sides of the community in Belfast would be happy to attend concerts there? 

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: michaelg on October 28, 2020, 12:17:55 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on October 28, 2020, 12:13:36 PM

Do you think both sides of the community in Belfast would be happy to attend concerts there?

I think so. POP acts at Feile concerts in the Falls Park in recent years have attracted people from both sides.

Saffrongael

Feile will be based in Casement and they will probably get more use out of it than Antrim GAA
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come