USFC SF: Monaghan v Fermanagh - Sunday 3rd June at 2pm - Healy Park Omagh

Started by GrandMasterFlash, May 29, 2018, 02:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brick Tamlin

Quote from: omagh_gael on June 04, 2018, 02:20:34 PM
Rory Gallagher mentioned in his post match interview that they felt Monaghan were vulnerable to the high ball so exploited that. You could say it was good planning or it could equally be confirmation and hindsight bias at it's finest.

I doubt Gallagher is spoofing on that one. If it was an identified weakness why didnt they pepper Beggan's goalmouth a few more times or launch a few rockets in on top of the big men in square, instead of waiting until the 73rd minute to try it.
It was a flukey goal and they got away with it so fair play. They never looked like winning that game the more the 2nd half wore on.
I wouldnt be blaming O'Rourke at all actually. Id lay that one at the feet of the players. They are around long enough now to know how to kill a game or take the sting out of it for the last few mins. Some of their more celebrated players arent producing it and havent done so for last year.

Fermanagh wont go too far.
They might win an Ulster god love them but if they do it will because a more talented team arent as well set up or disciplined.

haranguerer

They didn't need to try it til 70 mins. If you saw the game surely you couldn't fail to notice they led until then.

Brick Tamlin

Quote from: haranguerer on June 04, 2018, 02:59:10 PM
They didn't need to try it til 70 mins. If you saw the game surely you couldn't fail to notice they led until then.

Really?
So dont bother with trying to exploit (what you claim to have identified beforehand as) your opponent's percieved weakness because you dont need to?? Horseshit with feathers! They were sweating the whole 2nd half and could have done with their goal ealier to provide a bigger cushion.
They might have led late on but there was only one way that game was going in 2nd half up until the jammy goal.

haranguerer

Rossfan

Indeed.
So the Ulster Championship joins Leinster as being of very low standard.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

yellowcard

Some very condescending comments about (p)lucky little Fermanagh.

Definitely didn't see the game the way some others have stated. Monaghan have better players than Fermanagh, that is clear, but in way did they look vastly superior to Fermanagh yesterday. Similar to Down against Monaghan last year it appeared as though Monaghan weren't as mentally tuned in for the game as they should have been and got pick pocketed. They played into Fermanaghs hands by playing slow hand pass & solo possession football yesterday epitomized by Monaghan no.11 who kicked the ball a full 30-40 backwards towards his own goal on several occasions. Just highly frustrating low risk football. If Monaghan has won nobody could have complained because Fermanagh had set out purely to contain but neither did Monaghan do enough in an attacking sense to say that they were dominant.

seafoid

https://www.thesun.ie/sport/gaa-football/2529483/2018-gaa-ulster-senior-football-championship-fixtures-results-betting-odds-and-tv-information/

NORTHERN SOUL 2018 GAA Ulster Senior Football Championship fixtures, results, betting odds and TV information
Micky Harte's Tyrone are favourites to lift the provincial Championship but will face a tough test from fellow Division One contenders Donegal and Monaghan
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 04, 2018, 02:42:48 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 04, 2018, 01:03:47 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 03, 2018, 10:05:52 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 03, 2018, 09:55:42 PM
Would a gaelic footballer be recognised in a protestant town ?

Stupid remark, seriously :(
Seafold stalking again!  I suppose it does easily beat the tedium of what passes for life in Strabane, but hey, has self respect dropped to such low levels to be almost absent??

Undergone an irony bypass in your post-Healy Park trauma?

A stupid remark is a stupid remark, and welcome to the club (yet again)  :P
Ni thuigim.

I was reading some Ulster poetry. Cathal Bui Mac Gionna Gunna wrote a prophetic poem about Tyrone back in the 1700s

A bhonnán bhuí, is é mo léan do luí,
Is do chnámha sínte tar éis do ghrinn,
Is chan easba bidh ach díobháil Marquee (forwards)
a d'fhág i do luí thú ar chúl do chinn

redzone

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on June 04, 2018, 02:52:50 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on June 04, 2018, 02:20:34 PM
Rory Gallagher mentioned in his post match interview that they felt Monaghan were vulnerable to the high ball so exploited that. You could say it was good planning or it could equally be confirmation and hindsight bias at it's finest.

I doubt Gallagher is spoofing on that one. If it was an identified weakness why didnt they pepper Beggan's goalmouth a few more times or launch a few rockets in on top of the big men in square, instead of waiting until the 73rd minute to try it.
It was a flukey goal and they got away with it so fair play. They never looked like winning that game the more the 2nd half wore on.
I wouldnt be blaming O'Rourke at all actually. Id lay that one at the feet of the players. They are around long enough now to know how to kill a game or take the sting out of it for the last few mins. Some of their more celebrated players arent producing it and havent done so for last year.

Fermanagh wont go too far.
They might win an Ulster god love them but if they do it will because a more talented team arent as well set up or disciplined.
Mchugh mentioned early in the first half how one of the Fermanagh midfielders was dropping in under beggan on their attacks so defenlty it was worked on in training

tonto1888

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 03, 2018, 10:29:06 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 03, 2018, 04:56:48 PM
Serious performance by Fermanagh, but this Ulsterball stuff is a slog to watch.

Mayo- Galway was the single most unwatchable game this year.

Did you watch us against fermanagh a few weeks ago?

giveballaghback

Only for Seamie went on the beer it would have happened a lot more, he is very strong on the high ball and would have caused trouble in there, Gallagher a very shrewd manager and will have a plan for the ulster final that could well bring glory to Fermanagh. Great to see considering Fermanagh would have been in tier 2 if Colm O Rourke agus a cairde had their 2 tier championship up and running.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

joemamas

Quote from: Jinxy on June 05, 2018, 01:15:05 PM
Arlene Foster considers attending Ulster GAA final following Fermanagh win

http://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2018/06/05/news/arlene-foster-considers-attending-ulster-gaa-final-following-fermanagh-win-1347458/

Typical.
I bet she didn't go to a single league game.

Would you blame her, I can only imagine what that game last Sunday would have been like on a wet day and on a soft field.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on June 05, 2018, 01:15:05 PM
Arlene Foster considers attending Ulster GAA final following Fermanagh win

http://www.irishnews.com/news/northernirelandnews/2018/06/05/news/arlene-foster-considers-attending-ulster-gaa-final-following-fermanagh-win-1347458/

Typical.
I bet she didn't go to a single league game.
I bet she doesn't make sandwiches or appletarts down at the clubhouse either