Online dating advice

Started by Emmett, June 28, 2022, 11:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emmett

Evening all.

I've been single for about 6 months now, 35 years old and I'm ready to move on. I've always found it difficult to meet the right type of girl in a pub/club so seriously considering the world of online dating.

Has anyone got any tips on the below topics and beyond these? Any help would be brilliant!

* Photos. Obviously vital but what type of photos? How many?

* Bio. Blank? Short but sweet? Deep and meaningful? Pure humour? If anyone has written a good bio don't be shy on posting it here lol

* Which apps/sites are best in Ireland? I assume paying monthly will give better results.

* Opening line advice for matches. Presumably most ladies are not going to want a generic "Hey, how are you?"

This world is completely new to me and a bit daunting tbh

Milltown Row2

Personally wouldn't go near them...

Gym
Work
Club
Friends

Surely these places automatically get you aquatinted and you'll know they ain't lying in their online set ups?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

WT4E

Aaron Boone

If you say you like GAA, the website algorithm will work it's magic. There may be a dislike Armagh/Tyrone option inbuilt.

Main Street

Quote from: Emmett on June 28, 2022, 11:01:18 PM
Evening all.

I've been single for about 6 months now, 35 years old and I'm ready to move on. I've always found it difficult to meet the right type of girl in a pub/club so seriously considering the world of online dating.

Has anyone got any tips on the below topics and beyond these? Any help would be brilliant!

* Bio. Blank? Short but sweet? Deep and meaningful? Pure humour? If anyone has written a good bio don't be shy on posting it here lol

* Which apps/sites are best in Ireland? I assume paying monthly will give better results.

* Opening line advice for matches. Presumably most ladies are not going to want a generic "Hey, how are you?"

I don't know what kind of ladies you've been frequenting but that's the tried and trusted start to a conversation, it's the follow up questions that matter.
Be interested in her, listen to what she has to say about herself and it's not about you trying to make an impression. I haven't a scooby about online dating though, a friend was doing a yoga class and let me enroll, 12 women plus me and they're all open and friendly. That would be a good place to start  ;D ,

redzone

The new "How u doing " line is now replaced by sending a Dick pic. That's how tinder works

Orior

Quote from: Emmett on June 28, 2022, 11:01:18 PM
Evening all.

My only advice is to be yourself. Good luck.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Milltown Row2

I forgot to add.... Being in a relationship is overrated  ;D

Get yourself the best companion, a dog
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tonto1888

Have used them before. Came out of a relationship a while ago and just back on them myself. They suck

tintin25

Tinder and Bumble are the two main apps - Bumble probably the better of the two for the authentic profiles

At the end of the day using the apps is another alternative to potentially meeting someone.  There used to be a stigma attached with these things years ago but nowadays anyone who has been single at some point has used them (they are a necessary evil almost lol)  Just try to find a few decent pics of yourself in a group or looking smart in a suit and make the effort to write abit of a bio - very easy to tell who is on the apps for genuine reasons and who is only on for the self esteem boost.

You'll soon realise that plenty of people you know are using them!

general_lee

Tinder is a whole riding match. Bumble probably more geared towards people more serious about a relationship.

Like someone has already said, just be yourself. No point using 10 year old pictures, lying about your interests or trying to make yourself out to be something you're not.

Another bit of advice is stay clear of women who only show photos from the neck up.

tiempo

Quote from: general_lee on June 29, 2022, 10:38:34 AM
Tinder is a whole riding match. Bumble probably more geared towards people more serious about a relationship.

Like someone has already said, just be yourself. No point using 10 year old pictures, lying about your interests or trying to make yourself out to be something you're not.

Another bit of advice is stay clear of women who only show photos from the neck up.

Would they pose a challenge to the suspension on the General Lee?

trueblue1234

Quote from: general_lee on June 29, 2022, 10:38:34 AM

And people who have more than one person in their pic. That's a game of Russian roulette you don't want to risk.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

brokencrossbar1

Wild hard on the online.

I came out of 15 year marriage about 7 years ago now. It was scary for a late 30's man staring into the dating world with completely different ways than I had before. I dipped in and out, had a few short relationships/acquaintances, tried the 'traditional' way, and then went properly at it about this time 4 years ago. I got my profile pictures recent, didn't take myself too serious, was honest, and respectful. If you have a nice dog that worked wonders for me....

Bumble was very good and I met a number of lovely women on it but Tinder is only a riding fest if that's what you want. You can tell from early on what the attitude of the other person is and can cut through the bullshit quickly. Ironically I matched with someone who I admired from a far but never had the balls to approach. It's pretty well known and we are pretty open about the fact that we met online. As she is a public figure it's something she has talked about openly. We are getting married next year so it works. Just be yourself and don't be an asshole. There's plenty of deadly women out there who simply don't have the time and also want to cut through the BS

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on June 29, 2022, 11:39:26 AM
Wild hard on the online.

I came out of 15 year marriage about 7 years ago now. It was scary for a late 30's man staring into the dating world with completely different ways than I had before. I dipped in and out, had a few short relationships/acquaintances, tried the 'traditional' way, and then went properly at it about this time 4 years ago. I got my profile pictures recent, didn't take myself too serious, was honest, and respectful. If you have a nice dog that worked wonders for me....

Bumble was very good and I met a number of lovely women on it but Tinder is only a riding fest if that's what you want. You can tell from early on what the attitude of the other person is and can cut through the bullshit quickly. Ironically I matched with someone who I admired from a far but never had the balls to approach. It's pretty well known and we are pretty open about the fact that we met online. As she is a public figure it's something she has talked about openly. We are getting married next year so it works. Just be yourself and don't be an asshole. There's plenty of deadly women out there who simply don't have the time and also want to cut through the BS
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 29, 2022, 08:37:23 AM
I forgot to add.... Being in a relationship is overrated  ;D

Get yourself the best companion, a dog

Sorry I didn't get this information to you sooner lol!!