Hurling 2022

Started by Dag Dog, January 17, 2022, 02:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty34

Quote from: marty34 on June 30, 2022, 02:47:05 PM
Be hard to look past Limerick in the other semi-final.

Always waiting on Galway to explode and produce a bit of consistency. Shefflin will need them to produce a full on performance with 70+ % scoring/shot ratio. Nothing as bad as when going well, then hit 2 or 3 wides in a row. Just sucks the air out of a team.

Galway need a good few points from play from Cooney, Monaghan and Concannon etc. Plus goals.

Rumours that Ger Mac won't make it. Cooney at No. 6 or maybe even David Burke. I'd let Cathal Mannion roam, pick off passes and pick off a few scores from play. He's key for Galway, even moreso than Whelan as Finn and Nash will be hanging out of him inside.

You know what Limerick will bring. Needs to be matched. Harder said than done.

This is my message from a few days ago.

1. Scoring/shot killed Galway.
2. Monaghan hit some great points from play. Really found his form again.
3. Cathal Mannion moved out around the middle third and picked off points. Was wasted in front of Gillane. Needs to be given a free role.
4.They matched Limerick's intensity and workrate.

Milltown Row2

Conor Cooney is seriously underperforming in most games I've watched. With the natural skill he has should be nearly scoring as many from play as he goes from frees
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

fearbrags

Quote from: marty34 on July 03, 2022, 05:12:22 PM
Quote from: marty34 on June 30, 2022, 02:47:05 PM
Be hard to look past Limerick in the other semi-final.

Always waiting on Galway to explode and produce a bit of consistency. Shefflin will need them to produce a full on performance with 70+ % scoring/shot ratio. Nothing as bad as when going well, then hit 2 or 3 wides in a row. Just sucks the air out of a team.

Galway need a good few points from play from Cooney, Monaghan and Concannon etc. Plus goals.

Rumours that Ger Mac won't make it. Cooney at No. 6 or maybe even David Burke. I'd let Cathal Mannion roam, pick off passes and pick off a few scores from play. He's key for Galway, even moreso than Whelan as Finn and Nash will be hanging out of him inside.

You know what Limerick will bring. Needs to be matched. Harder said than done.

This is my message from a few days ago.

1. Scoring/shot killed Galway.
2. Monaghan hit some great points from play. Really found his form again.
3. Cathal Mannion moved out around the middle third and picked off points. Was wasted in front of Gillane. Needs to be given a free role.
4.They matched Limerick's intensity and workrate.

Henry needs to give you a call  :)

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

weareros

Riveting second half despite a lot of wides at both ends. Limerick had that bit of extra craft to create space in those last 10 mins. Hard luck to Galway.

seafoid

Ros news

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheSundayGame/status/1543619181836472320

Brian Concannon catches the Limerick defence napping after a long puck forward. Great catch and finish for the goal

Roscommon football superfan Paddy Joe Burke among those cheering on Galway's leveller
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Wildweasel74

33 odd wides, the standard of Hurling dropped, with lighter sliothair and wider hurl, they take pot shots from anywhere these days.

seafoid

From a Galway pov the performance was encouraging. After 4 years in the wilderness Galway turned on the intensity and should improve more next year. 

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Capt Pat

Quote from: Capt Pat on July 03, 2022, 03:02:07 PM
I thought it was a free out as well. Very disappointing for Offaly, they deserved the win.

The sunday game ignored the trip of the Offaly defender coming out with the ball. The ref should have given a free out and glory to Offaly.

Muck Savage

Back from Nolan park, took a trip home for it. Fantastic atmosphere and where in the world would you get 27K for an U17 game.
Offaly had great backs, loved the ability to flick the ball away from Tipp. However they hit too many wides throughout the game, some very storable. The sending off changed the game, Offaly retreated to defend the goal and were happy to let Tipp chip away. I know there was a lot of questions about the foul on Furlong in the last passage of play but I question the free in when Tipp were 4 pts down. Not sure what it was for. Offaly the better team but they will have to learn from the game
Great to see Offaly back at a major final!

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Capt Pat on July 03, 2022, 10:37:56 PM
I thought it was a free out as well. Very disappointing for Offaly, they deserved the win.

The sunday game ignored the trip of the Offaly defender coming out with the ball. The ref should have given a free out and glory to Offaly.
Didn't see The Sunday Game but I'm sure they don't want to go in too hard on a group of young lads.

didlyi

And about 50 other fouls in the game including several thrown balls. If we are going to clean up the game then lets have a serious conversation about the rules rather than focusing on fouls in the last minute of big games.

onefineday

Quote from: didlyi on July 03, 2022, 11:30:50 PM

And about 50 other fouls in the game including several thrown balls. If we are going to clean up the game then lets have a serious conversation about the rules rather than focusing on fouls in the last minute of big
games.
Hurling at senior level nowadays is ridiculous, pure physicality, everything is let go, apart from every now and then the ref decides to call a throw ball (this when about 95% of handpasses are throws according to the rules). It seems to have gotten worse, more macho over the past few years? Players are impressive physical specimens and they aren't afraid to use that physicality.
They highlighted that young Offaly corner forward last night, my thoughts were that he may never show up at senior as he doesn't look like he has the frame to bulk up and develop to a level where he can make an impact?
I've also been moaning about the lack of goals and goal chances, most of which imo is down to the ridiculous ease with which points are scored. The incentive has to be changed, 5 points for a goal might make coaches try and focus on creating goal chances?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: onefineday on July 04, 2022, 07:52:55 AM
Quote from: didlyi on July 03, 2022, 11:30:50 PM

And about 50 other fouls in the game including several thrown balls. If we are going to clean up the game then lets have a serious conversation about the rules rather than focusing on fouls in the last minute of big
games.
Hurling at senior level nowadays is ridiculous, pure physicality, everything is let go, apart from every now and then the ref decides to call a throw ball (this when about 95% of handpasses are throws according to the rules). It seems to have gotten worse, more macho over the past few years? Players are impressive physical specimens and they aren't afraid to use that physicality.
They highlighted that young Offaly corner forward last night, my thoughts were that he may never show up at senior as he doesn't look like he has the frame to bulk up and develop to a level where he can make an impact?
I've also been moaning about the lack of goals and goal chances, most of which imo is down to the ridiculous ease with which points are scored. The incentive has to be changed, 5 points for a goal might make coaches try and focus on creating goal chances?

Confused with this one...

In the senior game the ref called the blatant ones he could see for himself in real time, not the slow mo multiple replays we get as viewers, have you a source for the 95% stat you threw up?

Goals just don't come about, and ultimately your keeper is there to stop goals, so well done keepers on doing your job

The sport is all about winning, so players taking the 100% chance (the point) over the 50% chance will take their points, the old saying "take your points the goals will come" springs to mind, been plenty of goals this year

As for the young Offaly player who'll never get big enough to play senior? WTF he's either 16 or 17 years old he has at least 6 years to develop into a man and be physically bigger and fitter to play senior. Offaly are getting to senior level but not there yet, so time on his side to develop

As for letting it go, its been tightened up considerably, no tackles from around the neck up, as for the physicality of the players, would you prefer them to be skinny? The size and strength of the players is one reason why they have the accuracy power and endurance to pick off scores

As for increasing the what you get for a goal why not just make it ten or even make the goals bigger.... 3 is plenty
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea