The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Jurgen walks - Stallion vindicated

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

J70

Hound

Quote from: laoislad on July 01, 2022, 04:14:54 PM
They will be able get a big fee for him next summer now rather than lose him on a free.
I don't think this is similar to the Suarez contract. Suarez had 2.5 years left on his existing contract when he re-signed, giving him a higher wage, but also fixing a release clause.

Whereas Salah only has 1 year left. If he wanted to go next summer, I believe there's no way he'd sign this, as it just reduces his options so much.

Of course things can change quickly in football, but I think both sides intend to stick with the 3 years.

It's great news for the club and while he is (well deservedly) the highest paid player in LFC history, the club still stuck to their guns and got nowhere near the £500k that his agent was looking for and that other clubs pay their 'superstars'.

supersub

Quote from: laoislad on July 01, 2022, 04:14:54 PM
They will be able get a big fee for him next summer now rather than lose him on a free.

No chance. That would be worse than him leaving on a free. For it to drag out this long, him to get the big wage, give the interview about many more years/winning trophies - then to leave next summer would really tarnish his legacy.

From the Bunker

Poor form meant that Salah's value went down in the second half of the season. If he had maintained earlier form, he might have held out and let his contract run down. Big spending suitors probably fell away, taking into account his age and loss of form. The pressure to regain form with a new club would have been tough. Signing a new deal with Liverpool was the lest pressure laden decision as he is loved on Merseyside. I wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool sell him next year. Glad he has stayed all the same and hopefully gets his mojo back!

Holding onto Big players sets a tone also. Losing both him and mane would not have been good for that tone!

thewobbler

Was Mane's form really any better the second half of the season?

Armamike

Mane had a much better second half of the season than Mo.  I've mixed feelings over this.  If Mo is way out in front on wages it could be very destabilising.  I would be happier to see him go if that's the case.
That's just, like your opinion man.

RedHand88

Quote from: Armamike on July 02, 2022, 07:14:24 PM
Mane had a much better second half of the season than Mo.  I've mixed feelings over this.  If Mo is way out in front on wages it could be very destabilising.  I would be happier to see him go if that's the case.

Could be a watershed moment for Liverpool and their wage structure. Maybe they've priced in inevitable wage increases for the rest of the squad.

johnnycool

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 02, 2022, 07:47:59 PM

Could be a watershed moment for Liverpool and their wage structure. Maybe they've priced in inevitable wage increases for the rest of the squad.

VVD, TAA and Robertson will be banging on the door for the same I'd have thought.

keep her low this half

Quote from: johnnycool on July 04, 2022, 03:11:40 PM

VVD, TAA and Robertson will be banging on the door for the same I'd have thought.

Defenders never get the same wages as forwards although they will probably all want a significant pay rise. TAA and VVD both know they would go for big money if Liverpool cashed in. Robertson is wearing on a bit so possibly not so much, can't see Madrid or Barca being in for him but they would be interested in the other two.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: keep her low this half on July 04, 2022, 03:26:51 PM

Defenders never get the same wages as forwards although they will probably all want a significant pay rise. TAA and VVD both know they would go for big money if Liverpool cashed in. Robertson is wearing on a bit so possibly not so much, can't see Madrid or Barca being in for him but they would be interested in the other two.

Would have thought Robertson a better player than TAA, by a good margin too
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 04, 2022, 03:46:55 PM

Would have thought Robertson a better player than TAA, by a good margin too

So would I, but there is the England factor which means his value is worth more than it should be.

Hound

I doubt there's a single player at the club who would begrudge Mo being the highest paid.

I think the club played a blinder. They wouldn't be held to ransom. They point blank refused his £500k request and he was the one who had to 'settle' for £350k which had been on the table for a while.

Virgil and Trent have 2 years left on their contracts and are on 220k and 180k. I'd saying they'll be asking for in the region of 300k, regardless of whether Mo signed for 350k or not. But if he'd signed for 500k, then 400k would have been on the table.

supersub

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 02, 2022, 03:08:22 PM
Poor form meant that Salah's value went down in the second half of the season. If he had maintained earlier form, he might have held out and let his contract run down. Big spending suitors probably fell away, taking into account his age and loss of form. The pressure to regain form with a new club would have been tough. Signing a new deal with Liverpool was the lest pressure laden decision as he is loved on Merseyside. I wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool sell him next year. Glad he has stayed all the same and hopefully gets his mojo back!

Holding onto Big players sets a tone also. Losing both him and mane would not have been good for that tone!

Salah's form has been remarkably consistent over the past 5 seasons. That's why his stock is so high. The last 4 months has very little to do with anything really. No doubt if he had been offered up there would have been plenty calling. Great to see him signing, and if it took a little nudge of the wage structure, so be it. We will never compete in the transfer market with the likes of City, so if we can gain a bit  in increased wages for proven assets, so be it.

Ah Robbo is arguably a better fullback than Trent and possibly best in the league going on his all round game. Trent is a better footballer no doubt though. Mad that Trent isn't a certainty for an England squad when you take everything in. I'd say Robbo would start LB for England no issue.

johnnycool

Quote from: supersub on July 04, 2022, 05:36:58 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 02, 2022, 03:08:22 PM

Salah's form has been remarkably consistent over the past 5 seasons. That's why his stock is so high. The last 4 months has very little to do with anything really. No doubt if he had been offered up there would have been plenty calling. Great to see him signing, and if it took a little nudge of the wage structure, so be it. We will never compete in the transfer market with the likes of City, so if we can gain a bit  in increased wages for proven assets, so be it.

Ah Robbo is arguably a better fullback than Trent and possibly best in the league going on his all round game. Trent is a better footballer no doubt though. Mad that Trent isn't a certainty for an England squad when you take everything in. I'd say Robbo would start LB for England no issue.
Reece James is a much better defender at RB than trent as is Kyle Walker, neither offer the same in attack but the way England play that suits their style.

At that level the two England centre backs would be badly exposed with Arnold bombing forward leaving that space in behind.