The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawa316

Maybe they should have a second division, with promotion/relegation. That would keep the players interested

Gabriel_Hurl

In case anyone was wondering about Andy Ogletree

Quote@sam_golf
In case anyone was wondering what happened to Andy Ogletree, he's playing the Colorado Open this week. 100k to the winner (per @acaseofthegolf1), which would be 20k less than he earned for coming last at Centurion.

trailer

Was kind of refreshing to see Stenson come out and say he took the money. A lot of pros seem to recognise that the huge money will be paid in first few years to disrupt the game. As LIV golf progresses the teaser figures won't be as significant. Stenson realises that the money is on offer now and won't be there if he waited until after he Captains the Ryder Cup team. It's just a really cunty thing for Norman to do. Offer the Ryder Cup captain a ton of cash to piss everyone on the traditional tours off.

I sort of can't blame a lot of these guys. They're looking at millions of dollars guaranteed. It's basically an exhibition tour at the minute but that may change. The next big step is probably getting a flagship sponsor. Perhaps some betting company. Their morals are already murky so a good fit possibly. Would any broadcaster touch it? Again if the figures are right it's difficult to see them saying no. LIV golf is here to stay unfortunately. There will have to be peace talks. The PGA tour or DP tour won't win this fight.

thebigfella

Stenson is an odd one for me as I can see where he's coming from after getting stung big time by Allen Stanford. At this point he probably should have been thinking of winding down the career, hence the ryder cup captaincy. At least he's had the balls to say it is all about the money.

Milltown Row2

How much money do you actually need? Surely all of these golfers are rich as f**k, very successful at times in their careers. Unless they've spent it or lost out on big investments ( tough shit)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thebigfella

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 21, 2022, 12:04:36 PM
How much money do you actually need? Surely all of these golfers are rich as f**k, very successful at times in their careers. Unless they've spent it or lost out on big investments ( tough shit)

How much money do you need in your pension to continue the lifestyle you have accustomed?

If your pension pot was reduced by a significant amount overnight and your earnings potential significantly trends downwards as you get older (unlike the rest of us mostly) due to the limited earning potential of sports person, you'd probably do the same.

Not all golfers are rich as f**k. I see why someone like Richard bland has switched. I'd say as a journey man on the European tour and after expenses his earnings were f**k all relative to the huge stars.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thebigfella on July 21, 2022, 12:50:03 PM

How much money do you need in your pension to continue the lifestyle you have accustomed?

If your pension pot was reduced by a significant amount overnight and your earnings potential significantly trends downwards as you get older (unlike the rest of us mostly) due to the limited earning potential of sports person, you'd probably do the same.

Not all golfers are rich as f**k. I see why someone like Richard bland has switched. I'd say as a journey man on the European tour and after expenses his earnings were f**k all relative to the huge stars.

That's down to their life choices, if I lose my job or it significantly changes so does my quality of life I was used to... I'll be working till I'm 67 probably longer if the tories get their way, life expectancy is 74. I won't be worrying too much tbh I haven't a pension worth shit, no doubt I'll get by
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gawa316

Also can financially set up future generations of his family...just cause they are getting paid now doesn't mean they spend it all now

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: thebigfella on July 21, 2022, 12:50:03 PM

Eh - he recouped all those losses in one event in 2013 - winning the FedExCup. He's earned over $50m in his career to date

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gawa316 on July 21, 2022, 02:46:40 PM
Also can financially set up future generations of his family...just cause they are getting paid now doesn't mean they spend it all now

They'll get what he's left or what he's given them... that's the problem right there, setting your kids up, they'll be grand if I earned 50 million to date

Gmac

Quote from: gawa316 on July 21, 2022, 02:46:40 PM
exactly and the chances of him winning 40m in the rest of his career on pga was zero

Milltown Row2

Read that back.... His chances of winning ANOTHER 40 million are zero on PGA tour... how many kids is he supporting or setting up? Daft

gawa316

So he's just setting up his kids and his grandkids, great grandkids etc, etc can all go to hell and get out and make their own living

Gmac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 21, 2022, 03:59:42 PM
Read that back.... His chances of winning ANOTHER 40 million are zero on PGA tour... how many kids is he supporting or setting up? Daft
when he was cut on Friday on pga tour did they pay him much ? So if a company offered you
more money for less work and your money was guaranteed no matter what position you end up in and you can also make bonuses you would turn it down ? talk about daft

Minder

Quote from: Gmac on July 21, 2022, 05:09:11 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 21, 2022, 03:59:42 PM
when he was cut on Friday on pga tour did they pay him much ? So if a company offered you
more money for less work and your money was guaranteed no matter what position you end up in and you can also make bonuses you would turn it down ? talk about daft

There doesent seem to be indefinite guaranteed starts for the LIV players, that aren't the blue chip players. They could be put on their lug from LIV and then ostracised from the mainstream tours when they try to come back
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"