West Coast Camping

Started by gawa316, June 19, 2008, 12:00:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on June 20, 2008, 02:00:36 AM
Quote from: hardstation on June 20, 2008, 01:54:08 AM
Only thing is, they really hate Prods and Americans.

Good point! There's a fairly extreme republican bar in Keel called the Minuan Bar. We were down there for a weekend and one of the lads went in with an FCA bag and they ran him!! There'd only be a minority of people in Achill with hardline republican views but its a larger minority than most places down south

Yep - we were in their one afternoon and were quizzed about who we'd be voting for in an upcoming general election, " sure ye'd have to vote Sinn Fein lads" Stick to Lavelles, best pub on the island by a country mile.

gawa316

Quote from: stephenite on June 20, 2008, 02:56:15 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on June 20, 2008, 02:00:36 AM

Good point! There's a fairly extreme republican bar in Keel called the Minuan Bar. We were down there for a weekend and one of the lads went in with an FCA bag and they ran him!! There'd only be a minority of people in Achill with hardline republican views but its a larger minority than most places down south

Yep - we were in their one afternoon and were quizzed about who we'd be voting for in an upcoming general election, " sure ye'd have to vote Sinn Fein lads" Stick to Lavelles, best pub on the island by a country mile.

Yeah camped at Keel before and it has pretty good facilities. I've been warned off the Minuan before, so won't be going any near it. Lavelles is the one with the pool table and usually has life music every night, right?

Might hit Keel for one night and then head for Clare, never been further south than Galway (apart from a rugby tour to limerick) so would like to check it out. The pictures I've seen look absolutely stunning

Donagh

Christina Gallagher seems fond enough of them.

The Gs Man

Quote from: Mickey Linden on June 19, 2008, 04:16:17 PM
Quote from: The Gs Man on June 19, 2008, 12:37:43 PM
Make sure ye go to Carrowniskey in Co.Mayo.  Near a place called Louisburgh.  Dunno if there's any camping around it but its one of the best places Ive surfed on the West coast.  Waves are really consistent and it's never really crowded.  Probably cos the locals took down the sign for the road!  haha.

Have u taken up the surfing then G man?

Been at it for years chief.  I'd do anything but play football.   :D
Keep 'er lit

guy crouchback

the annex in keel is a grand pub the minaun is f**king weird.despite all the republican shite it used to be alright but has gone to hell over the last few years. it is now always full of scum bags of all descriptions. i don't know where they come from because you never see them anywhere else on the island, they just seem to materialise in the minaun around 10.00pm.

Easkey in Co.Sligo very popular with surfers but i don't know about the camping facilities.

gawa316

Cheers for all the info. so far.

I've been informed by the other half we are going to Dingle. So if anyone has any advice to share on it I would be grateful. Probably stay at Doolin on the way down to break up the journey. Seems a deadly wee town

FL/MAYO

Quote from: gawa316 on June 22, 2008, 01:36:36 PM
Cheers for all the info. so far.

I've been informed by the other half we are going to Dingle. So if anyone has any advice to share on it I would be grateful. Probably stay at Doolin on the way down to break up the journey. Seems a deadly wee town

Doolin is also close to the Cliffs of Moher , good location to stay for a night.

Solomon Kane

Anyone been surfing on Benone? The only experience I have had here was White Rocks in Portrush which was a bit hit and miss.