Premier League 2023-2024

Started by Dire Ear, July 31, 2022, 12:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dire Ear

The big two again,  or any other contenders?

RedHand88

Quote from: Dire Ear on July 31, 2022, 12:39:27 PM

Maybe tottenham, maybe. Or else they'll just replace Chelsea in 3rd.

Hound

Wouldn't count out Chelsea. Tuchel is good, and very impressed that he got rid of Lukaku despite the gigantic fee and big loss. He knew he'd be better with the big lump out of the club.

From the Bunker

Chelsea, Spurs,

Arsenal and Man United will be stronger.

Who ever gets out in front between the top two after Christmas will win the League.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Dire Ear on July 31, 2022, 12:39:27 PM
Liverpool's title to lose with Manchester City waiting and hoping for another slip up.

Tottenham,Chelsea should battle it out for 3rd spot.  Arsenal and Manchester United fighting over a 5th place finish.

Relegation battle between the three that got promoted Brentford, Leeds and perhaps Everton again?

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedHand88

Not convinced Citeh have replaced Sterling, Fernandinho and Jesus adequately. That plus Guardiola focusing relentlessly on the elusive European title means Liverpool to win in the home stretch by 5points.

Hound

Liverpool should be better going forward and City are better defensively. I thought City were significantly better in the run-in last year and not sure that will change.

Liverpool were well the better team yesterday, and better prepared, but Liverpool still gave up plenty of chances. The defending for the goal was poor, not helped by Adrian in goal, but Trent's 'defending' for it was nothing short of comical. But as a Liverpool fan, we just have to live with that given the uber exciting attacking strategy employed and I wouldn't swap Trent for anyone.

A lot will depend on, in particular, how good Haaland is, and also how good Philips is.

But overall the bookies have City strong favourites (Boyles have City 4/7 with 5/2 for Liverpool) and there's good reasons for those odds

gawa316

Quote from: Hound on July 31, 2022, 05:51:04 PM
Liverpool should be better going forward and City are better defensively. I thought City were significantly better in the run-in last year and not sure that will change.

Liverpool might be better going forward but all depends on Nunez. We have lost Mane and that's massive.

City haven't added anyone defensively so not sure how they are better unless you throw Phillips in alongside Rodri but then that has a detrimental affect in them offensively.

The one blessing we have with Nunez over Haaland is we don't need to start him. We have Bobby and Jota who already play there. Also does Haaland pick up a few injuries?

Think it's between Chelsea and Spurs for 3rd mostly down to the managers they have. G. Jesus has started on fire so would think Arsenal are favs for 5th. Utd haven't added much, maybe they will before the end of the window but that is never ideal. Who starts out of Varane, Maguire and the new fella? Ten Hag better be able to get some note out of them because at the min they are still starting with McFred and that just ain't good enough.

Milltown Row2

Well that's sorted that.. good price too
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lurganblue

Yep PP all paid out an all. Have to say Liverpool looked very sharp. Long road ahead and citeh's squad remains stacked. We'll see.

No idea how the relegation battle will work out. Forest seem to have bought a sh*t load of players. Of course Fulham did the same and went straight back down a few years ago. Villa did it and scraped survival.

johnnycool

Liverpool lacking in midfield depth.

Fully fit first 11's they beat City, but only just.

It's when the odd injury comes along as inevitably they do that City are better placed to cope.

Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs a bit behind that but a bit ahead of West ham and Man U.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: johnnycool on August 01, 2022, 10:58:13 AM

It's when the odd injury comes along as inevitably they do that City are better placed to cope.

Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs a bit behind that but a bit ahead of West ham and Man U.
I actually think City could have left themselves a bit short with the summer transfer business. Halaand, Alverez and Philips in, but they are loosing Sterling,Jesus, fernadinho and Zinchenko who played alot of minutes between them over the past few seasons.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Armamike

Fernandinho will be hard to replace.  Will be interesting to see how they go with a traditional no 9. A big change for a Pep team.
That's just, like your opinion man.

Gael80

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 01, 2022, 11:25:42 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on August 01, 2022, 10:58:13 AM

I actually think City could have left themselves a bit short with the summer transfer business. Halaand, Alverez and Philips in, but they are loosing Sterling,Jesus, fernadinho and Zinchenko who played alot of minutes between them over the past few seasons.

I think if Liverpool keep their major players fit they're the better team, but City have the depth and with the new substitute rules will achieve 90 points as a given, then it depends how many after that.  It's a big challenge for Liverpool to consistently match that, especially as it'll probably take 92 or 93 points to win it.

In saying that Haaland's signing is for the Champions League, and it's what the owners will want, especially in the season of a Qatar World Cup, so if the two or three Liverpool players they require stay fit they might be able to chase City down.

United will improve and finish third, with Southamton, Bournemouth and Leeds to go down in my opinion.