Derry V Donegal Ulster final 2022

Started by shawshank, May 16, 2022, 02:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreadnought

See a few here saying they feel Derry have reached their level. I can't see that. Think they still have a way to go before reaching their ceiling. Monaghan were very poor overall, yet still nearly came back into it and if they had taken some chances could have won it. Derry will see a lot in that game that they can improve from, so no way has their level been reached. They also should have beaten Donegal last year, and I think they're way further down the road now. That loss last year would have hurt and spur them on here. They will need a few goals. They got them last 2 games, and I feel they'll need them here too. Cavan gave a blueprint for going at Donegal, and probably should have beaten Donegal, or at least went very close if they got some of the goal chances they had in the 1st half. They need their points too. 12 isn't a great return against Monaghan, but I suppose it's the way the game went in the 2nd half when it was tight going, and it was a matter of keeping Monaghan at arms length, and that 3rd goal as needed. Need to keep things ticking with points though.

Donegal consequently have not been to their best either. A poor Armagh team, and struggled past Cavan until they got a bit of luck with the fortunate goals near the end. Cavan could have been long out of sight before that, and that game finishes differently in that case. The good thing for Donegal is they now know what they need to improve on. I think they thought they were quite good getting over Armagh (although I think Armagh are a very flaky Championship team) and thought the semi was a formality. They found themselves in a game and this will have brought them on. My one issue is that I don't think Bonner is a great manager or tactician. His team sometimes plays well in spite of him. He needs to learn from Cavan and what to improve on, while also assessing what to get right for Derrys plan. I just don't feel he has this in him, he might get one or other plan right, but not both which is what they'll need here. He has routinely been poor on this going back to 2 Super 8 campaigns when they come out on the wrong side in most of the tough games. He probably was lucky to get another shot after last year, only for no real other options to take his place.

Donegal have been here before though, 10 finals in 12 years, winning multiples of those. So they've been at both ends. That means a lot here, but I keep veering toward Derry, even with their first final in ages. I just think they've got the tools to do this, and we haven't even talked about Gallagher knowing a lot about a fair few of those Donegal players. They have goals in them, which we've seen before can be enough to take down Donegal. I'll take Derry by 2

screenexile

My own feeling is Donegal have that bit more firepower in the middle of the field and up front that if it comes down to 2 teams mirroring eachothers styles they probably have the better players at their disposal to get over the line. Can Derry change their system of play for this game given Donegal know exactly what will be coming at them from the first 2 games? Hard to know I hope we've something up our sleeve but we'll see.

In terms of the ceiling for this Derry team an Ulster Final/AIQF  is probably our level right now but over the next 5 years we will start to challenge regularly I think, especially when you look at our underage credentials the past few years. We have some very good young players to come through and if we can keep Gallagher's team in place the County team will be a worthwhile pursuit for the County's best players which hasn't always been the case.

I predict an absolutely horrible spectacle of football akin to the Donegal/Kerry AIF in 2014 where a goal will probably decide it either way.

I just hope Derry can get it!!

Real Talk

Derry will struggle if they go long with their kick-outs and i'm not so sure they can devise a short-effective option against this Donegal team.  I feel this is the where the game will be won or lost.    Delighted we are in the Ulster Final and we'll see what transpires on the day .. good luck to the Minors as well

J70

The big worry from a Donegal perspective (and I've seen a few former players and managers saying this too) is hunger. I've no doubt we can match or even better them on a football basis, but I'm less certain we will be able to live with the intensity and fight Derry will bring. They're going to be super-confident after their performances so far and their almost pipping us last year. We've shown in previous years that when the chips are down, we cannot always be relied on to dig deep and keep performing and keep our composure when the physical intensity and effort is put in by our opponents. Mayo 2019, Cavan 2020 being the two primary examples. To their credit, they hung in there in the first half against Cavan this year, but I think Derry will bring a lot more to the table than Cavan did.

We'll know 15 minutes in whether Donegal are up for the fight.

southderryman

Lads our group have some spare tickets due to a couple of drop outs and a couple of tickets coming from extra sources

If anyone needs a ticket pm me and i can meet in clones

Spares
Hill x2
Oduffy x2
Pat McGrane x1

southderryman

Quote from: southderryman on May 28, 2022, 12:04:16 PM
Lads our group have some spare tickets due to a couple of drop outs and a couple of tickets coming from extra sources

If anyone needs a ticket pm me and i can meet in clones

Spares
Hill x2
Oduffy x2
Pat McGrane x1

Tickets all gone

screenexile

Missed the above post if anyone has any spares please send me a pm looking for 2 tickets anywhere.

The brother is heading down and if only he'd let me know earlier the bollix.

Anyway if there's anything going please let me know

Goldengreen

I have one for the O'Duffy Ter going if anyone wants it

Whitnail

We can't defend anymore. if you look at games for the last 2-3 years its like running through a crater of space with no real plan or  method of closing down anyone . Keep waiting on an improvement or turnaround but it's all so chaotic. Derry will create goal chances ...if they're willing to take them instead of just kicking over the bar.
3 weeks is long enough for our lads to have put some semblance of organistaion into marking and defending but it dosn't look like its a priority with bonnor and rochford.
Big game form Langdon needed tomorrow.

screenexile

Quote from: Goldengreen on May 28, 2022, 11:36:40 PM
I have one for the O'Duffy Ter going if anyone wants it

Got sorted Gg thanks anyway!

Wildweasel74

On my way early, few to lift, think Donegal got a better team but just got a feeling we gotta win this one last nite, then again thought the same with Liverpool. Here's hoping anyway.

J70

Some crowd there today.

Great to see!

J70

Eire90

a lot of people hoping this is not one sided towards donegal  or their will be more talk on state of provincials.  i think it be close match tho

omagh_gael

This is going to be absolutely shite.