13 (26.5%)
Gerbils
6 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 49

J70

Quote from: Square Ball on March 26, 2023, 11:52:42 AM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on March 25, 2023, 04:38:40 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on March 25, 2023, 04:06:15 PM
Anyone know  how to  stop cats shitting in  the garden?

(I don't  have a shotgun)

Cats don't like peeled onions, leave a few lying around.

I had a cat constantly 💩 in my garden, got a cat scarer of Amazon, worked a treat until the batteries ran out and the wee ballix came back. New batteries and no more poop.

Wonder would that work for other animals?

We (in the heart of Queens) have raccoons and opossums in the garden, in addition to the neighbourhood Tom cats who come around to see our female cats.

I've nothing against raccoons and possums, and we enjoy watching them, but raccoons can carry rabies and their shit spreads a nasty roundworm which you obviously don't want in your garden.

Eamonnca1

We get the opossums here too. Scared the living daylights out of me when I first saw one, I thought it was a giant rat from a distance. But I hear they're harmless and keep a lot of pests away.

I've seen racoons in the Haight Ashbury area of San Francisco at night. They must live in Golden Gate Park and come out into the streets at night. They're known locally as "garbage pandas."

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 27, 2023, 04:33:45 PM
I've never understood the hatred some people have for cats, or the intolerance that some dog people have for people who don't share their passion for hounds.

I can't stand dogs, myself. I grew up getting chased by the feckers on my bike. Some owners made no effort to secure them and it meant some roads were no-go areas for anyone on foot or on bikes. There was one road near Lurgan that I rode down one day on the way to the lakes, and I heard some footsteps behind me. It was a giant Alsatian sprinting at me and it started barking. At least on the bike I was able to sprint and get away, but if I'd been on foot or there were small children walking past it doesn't bear a lot of thinking about. I've had plenty of similar encounters and unprovoked attacks.

Dogs in California are a bit better behaved because the owners aren't allowed to let them out of control, but occasionally you get one careless cretin in the park. I was out for a run in a park one evening and a pit-bull came out of nowhere ready to kill me. I freaked out and ran off, and the owner said the usual "he won't bite you" while she came running over trying to get the stupid thing under control.

Nothing as annoying as being out minding your own business only to be set upon by one of these dangerous animals for no reason. Put "dog mauled" into a Google news search and there's never any shortage of stories of people being attacked and in some cases killed by dogs.

Two-year-old girl mauled by family dog

Denver man says he's lucky to be alive following terrifying dog attack in his neighborhood

14-year-old receives non-life-threatening injuries from morning dog attack

Weeks After Loose Dogs Mauled Her Yorkie to Death, Arlington Woman Continues to Live in Fear

Spring, Texas dog attack: Pre-K teacher Irene Cornish ruptures artery when neighbor's canine mauls her

Pit bull kills rescuer trying to stop a fight; third fatal dog attack in six days

Alberta boy, 5, killed in dog attack was in care of children's services: 'It's heartbreaking'

'Horrific scene': Dog owner arrested after elderly man killed, 3 others injured in dog attack, officials say

Your dislike of dogs from bad experiences as a kid, understandable but now that you are older as wiser you can work through those issues..

Dogs need direction, training and plenty of affection and attention, if you don't give hat then you are on to a hiding to nothing.

Cats look after themselves, I know plenty neighbours who don't have their own cats but have someone else's  cats, they are there most of the day!!

We didn't get dogs until about 6 years ago, the best thing for when the kids leave home!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Eamonnca1

I'm not as scared of dogs as I was as a kid, but they still freak me out. I have a friend nearby with two dogs in the house, and I seldom go over there. Every time you knock the door there's a massive barking match and commotion that takes a while to calm down. Same whenever someone comes to the door when I'm there, or if another dog goes past on the street. It's not so much the danger, it's the stress they give me with their hyperactive attitude.

Cats are a lot more soothing. Their mellow nature appeals to me.  I've been known to sit on the couch reading and I'll put down the book or paper only to find my cat had crawled into my lap without me even noticing, and I've no idea how long she's been there. At night she'll lie against my leg and curl up to sleep between me and the wife. There's something relaxing about the purring sounds she makes.

general_lee

Dogs are a bit of craic! Affectionate and loyal. Cats are boring f**kers and unless you've a mice problem I wouldn't have one around the place.

Milltown Row2

Yes my dogs get excited when the door goes but when a person comes in they greet them and then work on who's feeding them their next dinner or treat!!

Call to your neighbours house with some small treats, trust me they'll remember that for ever..

One of my dogs knows every dog walker when I take them, straight over nudging them to get a treat
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

snoopdog

I have no issue with either animal. Both have their plus and minus. Dogs barking can annoy me. Cats destroying tge furniture with their scratching. Cats can be every bit as affectionate as a dog. Most are cautious though.

Windmill abu

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 27, 2023, 04:33:45 PM
I've never understood the hatred some people have for cats, or the intolerance that some dog people have for people who don't share their passion for hounds.

I can't stand dogs, myself. I grew up getting chased by the feckers on my bike. Some owners made no effort to secure them and it meant some roads were no-go areas for anyone on foot or on bikes. There was one road near Lurgan that I rode down one day on the way to the lakes, and I heard some footsteps behind me. It was a giant Alsatian sprinting at me and it started barking. At least on the bike I was able to sprint and get away, but if I'd been on foot or there were small children walking past it doesn't bear a lot of thinking about. I've had plenty of similar encounters and unprovoked attacks.

Dogs in California are a bit better behaved because the owners aren't allowed to let them out of control, but occasionally you get one careless cretin in the park. I was out for a run in a park one evening and a pit-bull came out of nowhere ready to kill me. I freaked out and ran off, and the owner said the usual "he won't bite you" while she came running over trying to get the stupid thing under control.

Nothing as annoying as being out minding your own business only to be set upon by one of these dangerous animals for no reason. Put "dog mauled" into a Google news search and there's never any shortage of stories of people being attacked and in some cases killed by dogs.

Two-year-old girl mauled by family dog

Denver man says he's lucky to be alive following terrifying dog attack in his neighborhood

14-year-old receives non-life-threatening injuries from morning dog attack

Weeks After Loose Dogs Mauled Her Yorkie to Death, Arlington Woman Continues to Live in Fear

Spring, Texas dog attack: Pre-K teacher Irene Cornish ruptures artery when neighbor's canine mauls her

Pit bull kills rescuer trying to stop a fight; third fatal dog attack in six days

Alberta boy, 5, killed in dog attack was in care of children's services: 'It's heartbreaking'

'Horrific scene': Dog owner arrested after elderly man killed, 3 others injured in dog attack, officials say

Say no more
Never underestimate the power of complaining

J70

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 27, 2023, 05:24:46 PM
We get the opossums here too. Scared the living daylights out of me when I first saw one, I thought it was a giant rat from a distance. But I hear they're harmless and keep a lot of pests away.

I've seen racoons in the Haight Ashbury area of San Francisco at night. They must live in Golden Gate Park and come out into the streets at night. They're known locally as "garbage pandas."

Possums are certainly lacking when it comes to cuteness. My wife thought they resemble those "rodents of unusual size" in The Princess Bride.

johnnycool

Quote from: J70 on March 28, 2023, 02:28:43 PM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 27, 2023, 05:24:46 PM

Possums are certainly lacking when it comes to cuteness. My wife thought they resemble those "rodents of unusual size" in The Princess Bride.

I think in NZ you're encouraged to run possums over if they cross the road in front of you. Someone brought them into their and they've no natural predator to keep the numbers at bay.
Almost 20 years since I've been in NZ though.

J70

Looked it up. Those are Aussie possums, and way cuter than the American species!

But yeah, New Zealand is yet another place where the ecosystems have been fucked up through the intro of non-native, invasive species.

Eamonnca1

I was about to walk down the Portadown Road near that area one night when I saw a fella walking in front of me with a Rottweiler on the loose beside him. Not a lead nor muzzle in sight. I stopped and waited a few minutes until they were long gone before I started walking again. I don't know why people keep these dangerous monsters. I just don't get it.