Antivirus 2009

Started by gawa316, January 14, 2009, 10:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gawa316

I was trying to watch prison break on line and when i clicked on a site I seemed to have downloaded antivirus 2009. Keeps saying my computer is infected by different trojans etc and that I should pay $50 registration to remove. I've read a bit about it and it's obviously some type of scam.

Anyway does anyone know of a simple way to remove it? Been on a couple of sites and most say to do it manually but i haven't a feckin' clue how to do this. Any help would be appreciated

Mhic Easmuint

I'd try a System Restore first.  Might do the trick. 
Start > Help & Support > System Restore

gawa316

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on January 14, 2009, 10:27:46 PM

Did that already but it didn't go back far enough. How do i restore it to say 2 days ago?

Mhic Easmuint

Is there no date you can select before that?

Mhic Easmuint

If there is no date before download Malwarebytes.  Should remove it for ya.

Some instructions if you need to follow:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/malware-removal/uninstall-antivirus-2009

tyrone86

What he said.

Plus update your virus checker whether it AVG or Norton straight away and that should get it pretty quick

stephenite

Herself got the 2008 version a few months back, spent ages trying to restore, gave up eventaully and had to format. I'd imagine you're OC is fucked if it keeps flashing the pop up every time you try to do something. Took ages to restore the vital stuff of the PC I needed, photos, music etc. with the pop-ups constantly flashing up, if it's the same thing you're fucked unfortunately

Mhic Easmuint

Quote from: stephenite on January 14, 2009, 10:41:22 PM
Herself got the 2008 version a few months back, spent ages trying to restore, gave up eventaully and had to format. I'd imagine you're OC is fucked if it keeps flashing the pop up every time you try to do something. Took ages to restore the vital stuff of the PC I needed, photos, music etc. with the pop-ups constantly flashing up, if it's the same thing you're fucked unfortunately

It's not as drastic as that.  I got it removed from a computer with a few different tools!

Our Nail Loney

If I do system restore does it not rmove all the stuff I have recently downloaded.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Our Nail Loney on January 14, 2009, 10:45:11 PM
If I do system restore does it not rmove all the stuff I have recently downloaded.
Nope
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

stephenite

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on January 14, 2009, 10:43:05 PM
Quote from: stephenite on January 14, 2009, 10:41:22 PM

It's not as drastic as that.  I got it removed from a computer with a few different tools!

Which tools Mhic, used Malwarebytes and various other tools to try and get rid of it, nothing could remove the core files from the registry so even though it looked like I wiped it, every time I restarted it re-appeared

gawa316

Good man that seems to have done the trick, cheers.

Why don't they just post that a system restore will do the trick instead of all that other shite on help websites?

Mhic Easmuint

Did you try combofix?
Think I ran that first then Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware and Avast.  

Main Street

That advert virus happened to me when I was using windows.
It was a pain. Slowed everything down to a crawl in the mud.
I read up on it (searched for adware something) and everything that worked for users infected with the same thing, indicated that a manual detox worked the best.
Those popular anti virus utilities,  AVG, Kaspersky Norton are worse than impotent in detecting and cleaning out after being infected by these advert viruses.
I downloaded a  freeware utility which guided me to where these feckers were breeding in the registry.
Then I could manually delete every last vestige of them.
It took a few times with the utility, checking and rechecking that what I was about to delete was not necessary to the registry.
The infected computer could only be detoxed while offline and better still, starting up offline.

At worst, start up in an offline status,  copy all you need to copy, reformat and reinstall windows.

stephenite

Quote from: Mhic Easmuint on January 14, 2009, 10:58:07 PM
Did you try combofix?
Think I ran that first then Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware and Avast.  

Not sure if I used combofix - she's bound to do it again so I'll revert to this when it happens