Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportacus

Congratulations, Cup in the front of the bus so job done.  Last twenty minutes were very ropey, lumping it in when a 15 yard pass to a free player would have produced a point. Strange how it went that way.  Was it pre-planned with the arrival of big Nugent?

rogercasement

The long term goal has to be that that was Antrims last game of Joe McDonagh hurling ever!

Milltown Row2

Playing against the wind we play intelligent hurling, short pass to player and ends up with a score, mindset  at halftime was wrong, attitude changes due to wind advantage and score line!!

When you are in control you really need to continue to put the foot on the gas.,,

As for long term goal, if we can be beating Westmeath and Laois consistently then we'll stay up there and improve, if we continue to fail at under 15 and minor we won't have the production line to stay up..

As for big Nugent changing our tactics that wasn't the case, we were lumping balls in long before that.. trying to score from 90 yards is daft, players need to cop on and sort that out as the manager can only relay some information during the game..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sportacus

Fair enough, the long hall just looked massively the wrong option in the last 20 minutes on several occasions and I wondered was it 'Plan Domhnall' at that stage.

paddyjohn

Anybody got a link for the speech?

paddyjohn

Quote from: BrollysArmy on June 05, 2022, 02:20:46 AM
It's a real shame when the county chair lodges a complaint against a player, for playing against his club the day after a county game, instead of making the choice to drink to get more game time in and then he gets the full treatment from the management

??

imtommygunn

Quote from: Sportacus on June 04, 2022, 11:42:34 PM
Fair enough, the long hall just looked massively the wrong option in the last 20 minutes on several occasions and I wondered was it 'Plan Domhnall' at that stage.

I don't know why we stopped the diagonal ball. I was wondering were Kerry pushing up on puck outs so we had less space to pick a ball or something like that but we kind of reverted to type which was disappointing.

Upandover

Does the cork game have any bearing on whether we enter the liam mc carthy next year?

Saffrongael

Quote from: Upandover on June 05, 2022, 10:29:13 AM
Does the cork game have any bearing on whether we enter the liam mc carthy next year?

No we are in Leinster championship next season regardless
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Saffrongael

Quote from: groundlie on June 05, 2022, 12:47:38 AM
Wasn't vintage but we got the job done. Kerry will give Wexford all they want! It's a pity it's in Corrigan for us. I think this game could easily at 15 or 20k. Athletic Grounds would be a ideal location for it with a big Cork support.

No chance, Cork don't travel and we don't have the support
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

bannside

People would travel including many neutrals if a tight game was envisaged, but on yesterday's showing even the most optimistic Antrim hurling supporter must be dreading a double digit trouncing. For that reason alone Corrigan shouldn't have much bother hosting two or three thousand die hards.

Let's put it this way, you'de expect this Cork team to put 15 on Kerry and there's nothing between us and Kerry.

Feel free to disagree!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bannside on June 05, 2022, 01:33:20 PM
People would travel including many neutrals if a tight game was envisaged, but on yesterday's showing even the most optimistic Antrim hurling supporter must be dreading a double digit trouncing. For that reason alone Corrigan shouldn't have much bother hosting two or three thousand die hards.

Let's put it this way, you'de expect this Cork team to put 15 on Kerry and there's nothing between us and Kerry.

Feel free to disagree!

Had we pushed on and continued to play like we did in the first half then Cork would be coming up properly focused, there is no reason why Kerry were allowed to dominate the second half like they did, why we changed our approach I don't know, those channels down the wing and balls into space were still an option, the sweeper cleaned up a lot of ball.

If we play both half's we will be competitive, if we play 35 minutes we'll be duffed
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Quote from: groundlie on June 05, 2022, 10:31:10 AM
As I said it wasn't vintage but we won. Something needs done about the defence. They were all over the place yesterday. They looked very disjointed and to be honest a bit clueless with and without the ball. Possibly big Donnelly at full back would help give it more structure.

I think, after Antrim were well up a few times in the 2nd half, they didn't close the game out.

They let Kerry back in it by leaving a heap of space in front of their full back-back line.

It was like KK V Tipperary in 2016.

They needed to kill the space in front of their full-back line.

Jonkunlon

Quote from: bannside on June 05, 2022, 01:33:20 PM

Feel free to disagree!

Clare currently giving Limerick all they want. I believe we'll be closer than you think. Not saying Antrim will win but ....

marty34

Quote from: groundlie on June 05, 2022, 04:20:47 PM
We won and that's the main thing. The second have was difficult to watch.

I think the standards of tier 2 and 3 hurling have definitely improved however so has tier 1. Ourselves, Laois, Westmeath, Carlow, Kerry are all capable of giving anyone games but it's just so hard on a regular consistent basis.

Until we are regularly competing and winning at underage against Tier 1 counties then it's always just going to be short term fixes for us at senior.

Antrim are a lomg long way off from beating Tier 1 counties at underage level...a long way off.