11-Plus Proposal

Started by spiritof91and94, May 16, 2008, 12:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bob

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 29, 2020, 12:14:21 PM
So rejecting children aged 13/14 is ok? You're a laugh

Forget about the 11 plus, I'm not exactly for it, I'm for streaming in schools which will suit all abilities, smaller classes less topics to cover and supporting services within the schools to allow the teachers to teach instead of the other crap they have to do on top. There is NO MONEY to allow that, now if you had a hard time in school and are just venting that's fine, vent away but your solution is flawed.

Teachers are and should be accountable, that's why we have the ETI to inspect schools and act on complaints

Not much ETIing these days !!!

marty34

Forget about the 11 plus, I'm not exactly for it, I'm for streaming in schools which will suit all abilities, smaller classes less topics to cover and supporting services within the schools to allow the teachers to teach instead of the other crap they have to do on top. There is NO MONEY to allow that, now if you had a hard time in school and are just venting that's fine, vent away but your solution is flawed.

Teachers are and should be accountable, that's why we have the ETI to inspect schools and act on complaints

Are inspections not false?  The schools know when the ETI are coming and work towards that.
Teachers, I hear, spend a lot of time on paperwork instead of teaching.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: marty34 on January 29, 2020, 10:28:53 PM

Are inspections not false?  The schools know when the ETI are coming and work towards that.

Have you done any teaching?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jim Bob

Quote from: marty34 on January 29, 2020, 10:28:53 PM

As my old principal used to advise us....." If you believe all you hear, you ll eat all you see!!"

dec

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-52853496

Transfer test: Five Catholic grammar schools scrap academic selection

Five Catholic grammar schools have said they will not use transfer tests to select pupils for 2021. The schools in County Down said they had made the move "in light of the current circumstances". None of the five schools will use the transfer test run by the Post-Primary Transfer Consortium (PPTC) set by GL Assessment this year as a result. The head of the Catholic Church in Ireland had previously urged Catholic grammars not to use the test in 2020.

Abbey Christian Brothers' Grammar School, Our Lady's Grammar School, Sacred Heart Grammar School, and St Colman's College which are all in Newry, and St Louis Grammar School, in Kilkeel, announced the move in a letter to parents.

In the joint letter, they said that they had considered the impact of school closures due to the coronavirus pandemic on the local community. They added that they recognised "there has been disruption to the education of pupils since March 2020, including that of P6 pupils, and understand that there may be further disruption during the 2020-21 academic year". "As a result, none of the five schools will use outcomes from GL Entrance Assessment as part of their admissions criteria for the academic year 2021-22." Pupils applying to these schools will not be required to provide a GL Entrance Assessment result. The five schools said the move was for one year only for pupils due to sit the transfer tests in December 2020 and enter the schools in September 2021.

They added that the decision was made after "careful consideration" and is "specific and particular to this group of five schools". "Each school remains committed to its own ethos and academic focus on high quality teaching and learning. "It is hoped that this decision will provide clarity in the local area for P6 pupils and their parents or carers." Over 20 other Catholic grammar schools who use the transfer tests run by the PPTC have yet to announce if they will also change their admissions procedure for 2021. Around 30 other grammar schools in Northern Ireland use the transfer test set by AQE to admit pupils.

Jim Bob

Let's hope the pressure is exerted on those individuals who make up the Boards of Governors of the remaining grammar schools.

FermGael

Will be very interesting to see how they work entry criteria .
What happens school transport ?
If a pupil lives closer to a local secondary school how will they now receive free transport if the school is no longer a grammar school?
Massive can of worms that ...
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Jim Bob

Quote from: FermGael on May 29, 2020, 05:55:39 PM
Will be very interesting to see how they work there entry criteria .
What happens school transport ?
If a pupil lives further than 5 miles from the school but within 2 miles of a local secondary will they still be entitled to a free bus pass now the school is no longer classified as a grammar by its own entry criteria ?
Massive can of worms that ...

Hopefully the beginning of the end of academic selection

Smurfy123

Good move
Playing devils advocate
What happens when all G Schools over subscribed who gets turned away and why?
Selection policy?

dec

There will be a lot of opposition to getting rid of the grammar schools completely. The GCSE and A Level league tables usually show a bunch of Catholic Grammar schools at the top. A lot of egos would be bruised if that was to change.

Olly

I got an A in my 11+ by helping my Master sell vegetables at the weekend.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

delgany

Sub Criteria For Abbey Christian Brothers, Newry used for Sept   2020.

Boys who, at the date of their application, have a parent/guardian who is a member of the permanent teaching, administrative, or ancillary staff of the Abbey.

Boys who, at the date of their application, have another boy of the family (as defined by DE in Transfer 2010 Guidance) attending the school or having been selected for admission to the school in the coming school year.

Boys who have had another boy of the family (as defined by DE in Transfer 2010 Guidance) previously attend the school.

Boys whose father/guardian attended the school.

Boys who are the first boy of the family (as defined by DE in Transfer 2010 Guidance) to transfer to secondary education, i.e. the eldest boy of the family as defined above.

Boys who are the first boy of the family (as defined by DE in Transfer 2010 Guidance) to apply to a Grammar School.

Boys who, at the date of their application, are entitled to Free School Meals Provision (as defined by DE in Transfer 2010 Guidance).

Other boys ranked by date of birth with the youngest boy admitted first and all other boys admitted by age (youngest first) until all places have been filled.

Joe B may get the business cards ready!

Some of these criteria have already been subject to Judicial Review

FermGael

If that's is the criteria then good luck to them.
They will find themselves in court alot
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

delgany

Quote from: hardstation on May 29, 2020, 09:29:56 PM
Where did you get that, delgany?

Apologies that is their current criteria...getting admission year mixed up.

As I said  previously  the lawyers will be sharpening the knives !

Smurfy123

What happens if my Johhny doesn't get in but I think he should? And your Johnny gets in before mine? I can see some headaches down the line. Or some kind of internal testing in primary schools and selection from that? No other way around that