Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Well done, I'm hoping for something similar in the Dublin half.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

heffo

Quote from: laoislad on August 03, 2015, 09:45:26 PM
Well done, I'm hoping for something similar in the Dublin half.

Cheers, 12 weeks now to the DCM!

laoislad

I've been training pretty well lately. My 70%hrr easy run has dropped from around  10'20 mile to around 8'50 - 8'55 min mile, which i took as an indicator that my fitness was improving. I ran a sub 23 5k in a time trial one evening which was a 70sec PB.
I've been feeling great on all my runs and have had bundles of energy and my confidence was really up,but my last 3 training runs have been disasters.
My legs are heavy and I am getting out of breath way to easily. Tonight really annoyed me, I was only doing 9'10 min miles and I had to stop after 3 miles.
I felt like the very first night I ever went running. Saturday morning last I felt the same.
Getting worried now as the Frank Duffy 10mile is only a few weeks away.
Feel a bit down about the whole thing to be honest!
What should I do? Google throws up everything from taking a rest(even though I don't feel like I've been overtraining) to going out and blasting out a fast 5k to get the mood up again.
Have a few hours in the morning before I need to be in work so was going to go and try slow 10miler.
Any advice oh wise ones?

ballinaman

I'd take a couple of days off and lash the water into ya. Sometimes its good to reset. Might be cumulative fatigue. Easy days should be easy and hard days hard.....can be difficult to reign the easy days in when you're going well...can be detrimental in the long term.

Milltown Row2

It happens so wise up and getting annoyed about it will only aggravate it...

Running is like a lot of sports, sometimes we are in good form and other times we play/run shit... Stresses can act as a motivator or work against us... Virus might be working on you and you don't know... Loads of other factors too...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

Quote from: ballinaman on August 04, 2015, 10:38:16 PM
I'd take a couple of days off and lash the water into ya. Sometimes its good to reset. Might be cumulative fatigue. Easy days should be easy and hard days hard.....can be difficult to reign the easy days in when you're going well...can be detrimental in the long term.

I think this is key. When you're flying you just don't want to go out and plod at a slow pace but you have to. Many times I went out to do an easy ruin and felt great so started pegging it after a few k's. What you describe above has happened to me a few times and I felt the same as you but I've got better at mitigating against it and knowing how I feel when I'm doing too much.

Junior championship again last night. Another goal but also another defeat. Really enjoying it and not quite as sore today. Will do 5k easy at lunchtime now. Have a really tough 8 miler on Sunday with lots of hills which will be good prep for the Warriors Run (similar course).

Gaffer

Going to start a bit of running and have been advised to do the walk-run- walk to get me started (beginner I am)

Did I read somewhere where you can buy a timing device which beeps to tell when when to walk/run / walk?

Thanks in advance.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

laoislad

Quote from: Gaffer on August 08, 2015, 09:51:26 AM
Going to start a bit of running and have been advised to do the walk-run- walk to get me started (beginner I am)

Did I read somewhere where you can buy a timing device which beeps to tell when when to walk/run / walk?

Thanks in advance.
I have a garmin 610 watch that does this.
You create the custom workouts yourself on the garmin connect website and upload them to the watch.
There are also plenty of couch to 5k apps for your smartphone.

Walter Cronc

Any advice for getting back running after a calf injury. I'm guessing just a short jog to test it out?

Gaffer

Quote from: laoislad on August 08, 2015, 10:17:55 AM
Quote from: Gaffer on August 08, 2015, 09:51:26 AM

Thanks in advance.
I have a garmin 610 watch that does this.
You create the custom workouts yourself on the garmin connect website and upload them to the watch.
There are also plenty of couch to 5k apps for your smartphone.

Thanks Laoislad
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

BenDover

Ye can also create custom workouts using the Runkeeper app if you use your phone to track your runs.

magpie seanie

Did the Knocknarea 8 Mile Loop in 1:18:16 today which I'm happy with. Was aiming for something around 1:20. Should mean I'm able to complete the Warriors Run (approx. 9.3 miles) over a similar route in sun 1:40 which is number 1 running goal this year (did it in a shade under 1:47 last year but felt I could improve a decent bit). I reckon there's no need for a very long run next weekend - maybe 9/10k handy - and just keep it between the ditches midweek. Warriors is on August 22nd (Sat week). Any advice? I've a club football game next weekend which is playing on my mind. Really want to play it but is it worth it with all the work I've done (in case something goes wrong)???

No1

Seanie, I know exactly where you are coming from. My honest opinion is give the football a skip. I tried to play a bit of reserve football and run for 2 years and in my opinion it can't be done. Time to bite the bullet and let the young fellas at the football! My running has improved no end but in saying that nothing will ever replace being in the changing rooms and on the field with your mates. Apart from hitting PB's for the next couple of years!

magpie seanie

Cheers No 1. You're telling me what I know deep down but just don't want to hear. Additional problem with me is for whatever reason (getting a raw deal from selectors, fitness issues) I feel I missed out on too much football in my prime. Played pretty well in the two recent games (fitness makes an awful difference but still wild sore in the two days afterwards) and just enjoyed it so much. I just love playing football.

All that said I know you're right.

laoislad

If I was you I'd stay doing what I love, and in your case thats playing football.
Will be plenty of time for running but you won't always be playing football.
I suppose it depends on which gives you the bigger kick.