Question for the Mayo Posters.

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, May 17, 2007, 09:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Any of you good Mayo people know anything about the Breaffy House Hotel outside Castlebar?

Have already Googled it and read the splurg, but local knowledge is always more valuable!!
Tbc....

Mayo4Sam

Its an alright hotel, over priced i would say, judging by the weddings i've been to there.
They recently opened as a sports hotel for team getaways, dont know anything about that
Is it for a weekend away? I'd look to Knockranny in westport or park hotel in mulranny
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

There's a good deal in the paper, £99 pps for 2 nights B&B + one spa treatment.

Would you still recommend the other places?
Tbc....

Mayo4Sam

I'd check out the prices of the park in mulranny, savage location, lovely restaurant, really top, top quality
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

The squinted eye

I find Breaffy is just alright not great, the speed traps drive me nuts I have a low to the ground car and even at 1 mile an hour i scrape the exhaust off the car. But for that price its worth it I suppose, the food there isnt great, castlebar is not a good place for restaurants unless you lke Indian (Tulsi is fantastic) and for the scenery you will need to go to Westport or Pontoon.

Try the pontoon bridge hotel in Pontoon, beautiful place and there is a good pub down the road caled Healys which has a great restaurant

would agree with the park inn in mulranny, the setting is spectacular although there is not much to do there at night unless you drive.

Somewhere in westport would be better, if you can stick the stags and hens, knockranny is a good hotel and there are plenty of nice restaurants and pubs there that would be away from the crowds

muppet

Gaoth Dobhair chose your advice carefully.

The suggestion that Breaffy House Hotel is somehow not as good for weddings as the mentioned hotels can only come from a bias or an illness.
MWWSI 2017

Bod Mor

If you're after a hotel in Mayo then look no further than the Broadhaven Bay hotel, Belmullet.
http://www.broadhavenbay.com/

Top quality restaurant when I was there, also has a leisure centre and some of the finest scenery in the west. If you're after a good weekend away I highly recommend it.
Oh, and it has a great nightclub too  ;)
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

stephenite

Any wonder we can't win an All Ireland - can't agree on anything :P

his holiness nb

I stayed there for the Dublin league game this year and was very dissapointed.
Looks great from the outside, but a little run down and poky inside.
Narrow dusty little bar, rooms arent great, and the grounds and very dissappointing.
Theres a pathway where you can walk about 3-4 minutes and in the "forestry" at the side there were washing machines,microwaves and rubbish bags just dumped there.
Although the restaurant is nice and does a good meal.
Ask me holy bollix

the Deel Rover

i'd probaly go to Knockranny Hotel in Westport beautifull hotlel and there is always a nice buzz around the town, plenty of nice pubs and make sure to have a pint of the black stuff in matt molloys. 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

rosnarun

if you want real luxury with loads to do then the Dolphin hotel in Crossmolina.
Breaffy(or breghwwyyyylly as it known locally)   would be the best of the rest though  it would come safter Ashford in the rank of mayo hotels and you dont want go near westport full of german wonder why some one told them to go there
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

the Deel Rover

Quote from: rosnarun on May 18, 2007, 10:33:11 AM
Breaffy(or breghwwyyyylly as it known locally)   would be the best of the rest though  it would come safter Ashford in the rank of mayo hotels and you dont want go near westport full of german wonder why some one told them to go there

rosnarun i hope you weren't been serious about the dolphin  ;) ;)
I stayed in Ashford once totally overrated 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Bogball XV

If Mayo lose on sunday, does O'Mahony stand any chance of being elected and vice versa?

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: muppet on May 18, 2007, 04:03:09 AM
Gaoth Dobhair chose your advice carefully.

The suggestion that Breaffy House Hotel is somehow not as good for weddings as the mentioned hotels can only come from a bias or an illness.

Yes Gaoth Dobhair there is a very big North-South Mayo rivilary, Castlebar V Ballina, Castlebar V Westport, Ballyhaunis V County Roscommon rivilaries in Mayo, the persistance to name Wesport hotels sounds like the work of a devious Covey(Wesport), Fishead-town(Castlebar) is your only man.

On a more seious note, there is actually two hotels & holiday homes in the Breaffy House Hotel Complex, one is an old Country Mansion & the other is a sports hotel where facilities where partly developed by Keith Woods, DJ Carey, Peter Canavan and a few others where also involved.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: the Deel Rover on May 18, 2007, 10:40:58 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on May 18, 2007, 10:33:11 AM
Breaffy(or breghwwyyyylly as it known locally)   would be the best of the rest though  it would come safter Ashford in the rank of mayo hotels and you dont want go near westport full of german wonder why some one told them to go there

rosnarun i hope you weren't been serious about the dolphin  ;) ;)
I stayed in Ashford once totally overrated 

Deel Rover. typical North Mayo bashing of South Mayo  ;)