20 years on...never forget Loughinisland

Started by brokencrossbar1, June 18, 2014, 01:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

I can vividly remember this when it happened.  Like the people in Loughinisland I was sitting in my local having pints and watching Houghton score that goal.  At the time we were in a complete lock down in Cross as the barracks was being renovated due to the repeated damage it had suffered from a campaign of barrack buster bombs and there was a ring of steel around the town.  As I live a few miles outside the town I had to endure the constant searching of the car etc.  The pub were in was actually effectively under armed guard as there was a company of Scots Guards buried in holes around the main road,  including my back garden and there was one actually 10 yards from the front door of the pub.  When Houghton scored we all were well pissed and start goading them and doing a congo around them but they actually were cheering Ireland on and were delighted as England were at the WC that year and Scotland were!!

As we drank reports started filtering through on the grapevine that something had happened.  There was a deathly feeling in the pub as in many ways it could just as easily have been us.  Were the pub was located,  given what was known, even at that stage, of suspected collusion,  to us we could just have as easily been the target.  It still makes me shiver when I think of it.

Never forget...RIP Adrian Rogan, Malcolm Jenkinson, Barney Greene, Daniel McCreanor, Patrick O'Hare and Eamon Byrne.

AZOffaly

muppet

Good post.

2 years ago on this day the Irish soccer team wore black armbands as a mark of respect to the victims with the support of the FAI & UEFA.

MWWSI 2017

Ulick

One of the survivors was on Good Morning Ulster this morning:

Fast forward to 1:38:30 at the following link to hear him being interviewed.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0460vy2

He reads a bit from his diary at the end. Very poignant. 

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ziggysego

20 years ago? Time really is moving along at a quick pace.

I remember this day, as if it was only a few years ago. It was one of the few times that the troubles truly terrified me. Not that I am in anyway a brave lad or such, but that we had become so used to seeing attacks and murders on the television on a daily occurance. This one really became etched in my mind.

A truly dark day in our troubled history.

RIP.
Testing Accessibility

All of a Sludden

We were just talking about this earlier, hard to believe it is twenty years ago. Like everyone else I was at the pub watching the Ireland beat the Italians, the joy quickly turned to horror when the news came through about the events in Loughinisland.

Heartbreaking story on the BBC website http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-27899485
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

orangeman

Yet another landmark. Thankfully things like this don't happen anymore. RIP

Puckoon

Very sad viewing there. Hard to believe its 20 years ago. RIP

T Fearon

Remember it vividly,took the shine off the victory.Also remember Down beating Monaghan in Armagh next day,in front of a very sombre crowd almost in complete silence.

Hard to think the ceasefires were only a few months away.Remember another atrocity shortly before when loyalists shot an 18 year old catholic schoolboy in an amusement arcade in Armagh city.Desperate times

Tony Baloney

Quote from: T Fearon link.msg1365368#msg1365368 date=1403120226
Remember it vividly,took the shine off the victory.Also remember Down beating Monaghan in Armagh next day,in front of a very sombre crowd almost in complete silence.

Hard to think the ceasefires were only a few months away.Remember another atrocity shortly before when loyalists shot an 18 year old catholic schoolboy in an amusement arcade in Armagh city.Desperate times
There was an anniversary match for Gavin McShane in Keady a couple of weeks ago.

Good post BC. I was in the throes  of A Levels at the time and remember being in my granny's house watching the match when the news came through. Remember watching the Mexico match the following week in Ballycastle with all my class after the exams finished and someone mentioning that it could have been any pub.