Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 24, 2023, 03:10:38 PM
I knew quite a few doing Manchester who spoke very highly of it. End of day like football etc it's a hobby so health etc the main thing. Plenty more of them.

For the meantime we can just sit and be cynical about the first sub 1 hour 2nd half of a marathon  ;D (Or not be cynical and marvel at it - whatever you decide  ;D)
Big time , just happy to get out at all and do a bit . Nobody knows what's for us so best enjoy it when we can.

Cynical all the way!  The juicing going on is something mad I reckon. I see Nike prototype shoes were in action in London as well .

imtommygunn

Didn't read about the shoes yet but there's too many incidents in Kenya these days so you'd be mad not to be a bit cynical for a 59 2nd half of marathon after a 61 odd first half!

tonto1888

Never been much of a runner but need some tips. I'm doing hyrox in October. A fitness race. Basically it's 8x1km runs with a fitness station at the end of each run. Ski. Row. Farmers walks. Sled push and pull. Burpees. Wall balls. I'm ok with these but struggle with running. Any advice would be appreciated. Including mundane things like footwear as I don't think CrossFit trainers would be beat

jcpen

Quote from: tonto1888 on July 20, 2023, 04:56:43 PM
Never been much of a runner but need some tips. I'm doing hyrox in October. A fitness race. Basically it's 8x1km runs with a fitness station at the end of each run. Ski. Row. Farmers walks. Sled push and pull. Burpees. Wall balls. I'm ok with these but struggle with running. Any advice would be appreciated. Including mundane things like footwear as I don't think CrossFit trainers would be beat
Sounds like a pair of daily trainers like a Nike Pegasus would suit. I don't know much about Hyrox but I'm sure you probably don't need a carbon racing shoe or anything.
Best of luck it looks brutal, there's a guy on YouTube Mark Lewis that I have seen a few times and he's into these Hyrox events.
This is one of my 3 usernames.

trueblue1234

Wasn't sure where to stick this, but did first triathlon today, albeit a sprint one. Have to say really enjoyed it and liked the variety rather than just the running. Fell down badly in the cycling, as badly equipped and only started practicing bout a month ago. Would be tempted to try for an Olympic tri next year.
Many on here do them?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 05, 2023, 11:06:33 PM
Wasn't sure where to stick this, but did first triathlon today, albeit a sprint one. Have to say really enjoyed it and liked the variety rather than just the running. Fell down badly in the cycling, as badly equipped and only started practicing bout a month ago. Would be tempted to try for an Olympic tri next year.
Many on here do them?

Done loads over the years and better participants on here than me but.... As you have rightly pointed out, the cyclists have a huge advantage over decent runners or swimmers as cycling, even over the 12 miles in a sprint tri will have a bigger advantage.

The good bikes, better cyclists just motor past you on the road. If you are looking to improve, that's the place to target.. if you are looking diversity in sport and enjoy the great atmosphere then just improve what you can and enjoy it, best training I've ever done in fairness too

The craic is 90 and everyone seems to encourage you, pick multiple events to get around
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trueblue1234

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 05, 2023, 11:21:27 PM
Many on here do them?

Done loads over the years and better participants on here than me but.... As you have rightly pointed out, the cyclists have a huge advantage over decent runners or swimmers as cycling, even over the 12 miles in a sprint tri will have a bigger advantage.

The good bikes, better cyclists just motor past you on the road. If you are looking to improve, that's the place to target.. if you are looking diversity in sport and enjoy the great atmosphere then just improve what you can and enjoy it, best training I've ever done in fairness too

The craic is 90 and everyone seems to encourage you, pick multiple events to get around

Yeah I was out with a mate who would cycle a lot. I beat him in the run and the swim well, but he kicked my ass in the cycle. That said we finished on the same time.
I've few easy gains that can be made on the bike. Mine was a 20+ year old bike with normal pedals. Plus I've still not mastered the gears right!!
Would consider looking at 2nd hand bikes. Just wouldn't be willing to blow £1k+ on a bike when it could be a passing fad with me. Any recommendations for what to look for in a 2nd hand? Budget maybe £4-500.

Milltown Row2

The bikes everything though not just getting a faster time as such, more so using less energy and having more energy for the run.

The better bike will help but you've got to get the miles in to use it better also.. there's plenty of buy and sell sites to get a decent second hand one, make sure you size it for your height has to be fitted for bike shoes and test it out before buying blindly
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

WeeDonns

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 06, 2023, 02:40:39 PM
Yeah I was out with a mate who would cycle a lot. I beat him in the run and the swim well, but he kicked my ass in the cycle. That said we finished on the same time.
I've few easy gains that can be made on the bike. Mine was a 20+ year old bike with normal pedals. Plus I've still not mastered the gears right!!
Would consider looking at 2nd hand bikes. Just wouldn't be willing to blow £1k+ on a bike when it could be a passing fad with me. Any recommendations for what to look for in a 2nd hand? Budget maybe £4-500.

Do the cycle scheme, there's no cap on it anymore (depending on your employer)
Get a mountain bike while you're at it & come to the glens on Tuesday nights during the winter  ;)

On 2nd hand bikes locally; I've noticed that people that buy them new for £500, still want to sell them for £500 2 years later.
brother-in-law sold a few recently for a fair deprecated price on facebook, they were gone in a couple of hours

RedHand88

Many on here do them?

Was at Loughmacrory myself on Saturday too, but only as a spectator! Aiming to do it next year and wanted to see how changeovers etc worked.
Cycling would be my main thing, I cycled the tri the lough route a few weeks ago and it's tight enough compared to others. Few tough hills and the road conditions are treacherous in parts with the potholes.
Well done on completing it though, you've done something that the vast majority of people never accomplish.
Cycling would be the easiest thing to tighten up on I think. With a few months at it you'll be flying. If you are doing ok at swimming the other 2 will come to you easier.

trueblue1234

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 07, 2023, 11:10:31 AM
Many on here do them?

Was at Loughmacrory myself on Saturday too, but only as a spectator! Aiming to do it next year and wanted to see how changeovers etc worked.
Cycling would be my main thing, I cycled the tri the lough route a few weeks ago and it's tight enough compared to others. Few tough hills and the road conditions are treacherous in parts with the potholes.
Well done on completing it though, you've done something that the vast majority of people never accomplish.
Cycling would be the easiest thing to tighten up on I think. With a few months at it you'll be flying. If you are doing ok at swimming the other 2 will come to you easier.
Cheers, yeah it's definitely the cycling that hit me. Took 43 odd mins for a 20k. Mate did it in 36. But managed the swim in just over 17 mins and run in 24. Total time was 1hr 27 so was delighted to get under the hr and half.
Going to have to invest in a new bike and a proper wetsuit. The Lidl one will have to be retired....

Milltown Row2

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 07, 2023, 11:33:27 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 07, 2023, 11:10:31 AM
Many on here do them?

Cheers, yeah it's definitely the cycling that hit me. Took 43 odd mins for a 20k. Mate did it in 36. But managed the swim in just over 17 mins and run in 24. Total time was 1hr 27 so was delighted to get under the hr and half.
Going to have to invest in a new bike and a proper wetsuit. The Lidl one will have to be retired....

Wet suit needs to be thin, less drag, under 1.30 is very good, the hardest one I done is from Rostrevor up the Mournes!! Set that as your Olympic distance next year

imtommygunn

Big night for mageean tonight. She is in fantastic shape but this race is so strong I think a medal may be a stretch though I really hope I am wrong. I predict 5th but hope for more.

Adeleke going well too though she looked very tired last night.

quit yo jibbajabba

4th. Not far away Tommy. Seemed a strong group. She bate the Brits anyway. Some support for her

imtommygunn

She ran fantastically but that is such a strong distance. Beat all the brits like you say. I think she ran as good a race tactically as she possibly could have.