Tír Eoghain vs Áth Cliath - Páirc Uí hÉilí, An Ómaigh - 11/04/2010

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, March 28, 2010, 06:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: heffo on April 11, 2010, 10:28:50 PM
I'm not being at all bitter - Mayo won today and deservedly so.

The facts remain that Cork made ten changes to the team that stormed through the league and Shields not making it made eleven.

Others can make their own minds up on that.

With a place in the final already secure Counihan was well within his rights to put a different 15 out today, end of story. Wasn't it a great opportunity to give lads against a Mayo team going well? That's how squads are developed. Most counties would love to have been afforded that luxury today.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: heffo on April 11, 2010, 10:28:50 PM
I'm not being at all bitter - Mayo won today and deservedly so.

The facts remain that Cork made ten changes to the team that stormed through the league and Shields not making it made eleven.

Others can make their own minds up on that.

I don't know why they would want to throw the game, so as to play Mayo, the capitulations of Dublin and Cork in Croke Park over the last 10 years make Mayo's look like a mild scolding. Let's just stay with those facts not the myths created in the Annals of Irish Star and the Annals of the Evening Herald. Those other two counties hammerings where far closer to the Doomsday Book (Check the scores, not the folklore). Mayo is the only one of this three to actually WIN a Senior Men's Football National Title in Croke Park since 2000. If anyone threw a game this year it was Mayo against Dublin in McHale Park. I heard Johnno wanted to play Dublin in the final so had the Mayo players on orders to miss 18 points and lose by just one  :D
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Aaron Boone

Rois

Frustrating today, and I'm sure half the players felt worse. Carlin, Penrose and P Harte all gave 100% but I felt there was a lack of commitment from some of the team who seemed content to let someone else pick up the Dublin player on the ball. A few guys seemed reluctant to take responsibility.  Joe McMahon was a big loss.
Coney scored a couple of good ones but reminds me of a newborn calf

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Rois on April 11, 2010, 11:14:34 PM
Frustrating today, and I'm sure half the players felt worse. Carlin, Penrose and P Harte all gave 100% but I felt there was a lack of commitment from some of the team who seemed content to let someone else pick up the Dublin player on the ball. A few guys seemed reluctant to take responsibility.  Joe McMahon was a big loss.

You can't get away without explaining that one Rois? Or are you telling us that Coney relies on Mickey Harte for his supply of milk?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on April 11, 2010, 11:17:29 PM

You can't get away without explaining that one Rois? Or are you telling us that Coney relies on Mickey Harte for his supply of milk?

Was he a bit wonky on the ould feet!
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Rois

Yes exactly, he looks like his legs are too long and weak to properly support his body. Seems to fall over a lot. And not for dramatic effect either.
But that doesn't mean I don't think he's a good prospect. 

sandwiches_in_the_boot

I'm a big fan of Marty Penrose, but I think even today he'd admit himself he wasn't at the races at all. That early woeful freekick left a lack of confidence for the rest of the game. Even an average performance on his form so far this season should have seen him grab at least 4/5 points.

Dermy Carlin was great. If he doesn't make the championship 15 then I don't friggin know. Petey Harte is gifted, an amazing talent. And yeah it went downhill after Joe left. As an aside to that, Ref refused to stop play for Joe's injury, bad call. He stopped the game 2nd half right in the middle of Tyrone's purple patch for a couple of mins for a Dub who eventually went off. If you're not fit to continue your treatment should be on the sideline.

Oisin McConville hit the nail on the head post game on Radio Ulster. Said MH has chopped and changed so much this year even he doesn't know his best 15.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Rois

I still think his effort couldn't be disputed and was a lot better than some. If all 15 got stuck in as much as Penrose did then I'd be happier.

McConville appears to be right (though was there ever a more boring voice for radio??).

caraghtyrone

Justin, Joe, Enda, Stephen, Owen.....5 players missing today that if fit are certain starters come championship time added to the fact Jordan had his first start since August and last years Ulster player of the year Kevin Hughes only back from injury for 35 mins today.  Almost half a team and 17 All Irelands senior medals between them, they would be missed by any team and the majority of the 7 of them would make probably 28-29 teams in the country?  Surely no need for panic yet?  Any of 4-5 teams could win this years All Ireland with Cork the stand out favorites at this stage though as we all know its all about August-September and if Tyrone are around then I wouldnt back against this team of "old" "past it" "havent got the legs anymore" "lost their pace" players adding to their medal haul and going into premature retirement, happy with their contribution to Tyrone GAA and the GAA as a whole.

Remember, going into the championship this team along with Kerry have probably the most experience of big games and as the saying goes "been there and got the T-Shirt" Discount them at your peril!

ziggysego

Quote from: hardstation on April 11, 2010, 10:59:12 PM
Quote from: ONeill on April 11, 2010, 10:35:50 PM
The next match is Antrim at a buzzing Casement Park. It could be quite an occasion.
Nah, I can't see it. Tyrone still have the players who have been there and done it again and again. They still have the players who can turn it on in the bigger games. I expect something like the Ulster Final, after 10 minutes it will be clear who is going to win. There won't be a massive margin but the result will never be in question. Hope we get a better back door draw than last year. The Antrim team is still young but capable of making good progress in the next 5/6 years. Playing in Division 2 will help with this so hopefully we can stay up next year and kick on.

Antrim getting promoted to Div 2, St. Gall's winning an All-Ireland Club title and Antrim great run last year.. They're going to be full of confidence. I wouldn't be as sure of going into this game, as I was of the game last year. This is me saying that, whilst not believing the wheel's have come off the Tyrone wagon yet.
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Quote from: hardstation on April 12, 2010, 12:46:18 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on April 12, 2010, 12:38:36 AM
Quote from: hardstation on April 11, 2010, 10:59:12 PM
Quote from: ONeill on April 11, 2010, 10:35:50 PM
The next match is Antrim at a buzzing Casement Park. It could be quite an occasion.
Nah, I can't see it. Tyrone still have the players who have been there and done it again and again. They still have the players who can turn it on in the bigger games. I expect something like the Ulster Final, after 10 minutes it will be clear who is going to win. There won't be a massive margin but the result will never be in question. Hope we get a better back door draw than last year. The Antrim team is still young but capable of making good progress in the next 5/6 years. Playing in Division 2 will help with this so hopefully we can stay up next year and kick on.

Antrim getting promoted to Div 2, St. Gall's winning an All-Ireland Club title and Antrim great run last year.. They're going to be full of confidence. I wouldn't be as sure of going into this game, as I was of the game last year. This is me saying that, whilst not believing the wheel's have come off the Tyrone wagon yet.
Ziggy, Tyrone........Antrim. Be honest. Tyrone........Antrim.

Oh aye, Tyrone should win. Not to say they will though.
Testing Accessibility

stew

Quote from: hardstation on April 12, 2010, 01:03:07 AM
We'll not bother yis much the year. Tyrone should win Ulster handy enough again. I fancy a good run in the qualifiers for Antrim.

It's good to see antrim football on the rise, a sleeping giant if ever there was one and the more success this team can have can only be good for the game in Antrim.

Tyrone could be in a wee bit of trouble here, antrim are well capable of doing damage and if tyrone go into this game thinking they are going to coast home they will be bate.

Tyrone will be in the quarters no matter what way you cut it, they are too good not to get at least that far and I see them getting to the AISF before losing to either kerry or Cork.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

tyrone86

Quote from: hardstation on April 12, 2010, 02:30:37 AM
Stew, let's be honest, Tyrone will be playing Armagh or Derry in the Ulster Final. I reckon it'll be Armagh and it should be a cracking game. Could it even go to Croke Park?

Not a hope. If Tyrone scrape past Antrim, which I'd have my doubts about, then Down will beat them. Mickey Harte raised the hype and expectation levels for a league game and a pile of lads shit in the nest. It doesn't bode well.

cadhlancian

Championship team right now?
Who the f**k knows? :P
1) Mc Connell
2) D Carlin
3) JUstin Mc Mahon
4) R McMenemin
5) S O'Neill
6) C Gormley
7) P Jordan
8) A Cassidy
9) K hughes
10) Colm Cavanagh
11) Sean Cavanagh
12) Joe McMahon
13) M Penrose
14) Steven o'Neill
15) Eoin Mulligan

subs
Dooher
McGinley
B McGuigan
T McGuigan
D harte
K Coney
P harte ( could possibly make it, deserves to!)

Still a formidable enough looking team, but sure who knows! ;D