Cost Of Living

Started by Olly, July 03, 2022, 05:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportacus

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 10, 2022, 08:11:11 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 10, 2022, 02:56:07 PM
Inflation could be over in 12-18 months.
At some level of interest it will stop.
It's not a permanent change.

Does deflation ever happen?
The great British public will have the wool pulled over their eyes in a few months when inflation starts lapping itself and the headline number will come down because of that.  Government will spoof that they are getting it under control, but prices will actually still be high, even though the headline percentage will look like success.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on August 10, 2022, 07:30:50 PM
What's the view on heating oil, it's gone down to 88 a litre do I fill the sucker right up now or chance it for another month. It's still going down
In that boat myself. Need to check the tank tomorrow but If reckon a partial fill is imminent. That's serious money for a litre of oil. I may get the chainsaw sharpened for winter.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

From the Bunker

Quote from: ONeill on August 10, 2022, 11:06:35 PM
Stop killing trees.

There are plenty of Ash that are dead or dying the last 10 years that will have to be felled for Safety reasons anyway!

seafoid

it does. We had d of the last deflation for most of the last decade. There is too much debt . It will probably happen when interest rates go down again., say at 2%
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Throw It Up Ref

Quote from: seafoid on August 11, 2022, 06:55:18 AM

it does. We had d of the last deflation for most of the last decade. There is too much debt . It will probably happen when interest rates go down again., say at 2%

Would it not entirely depend on what is driving you're inflation? The basic economics are if you have high inflation you increase interest rates to discourage spending until it's under control again. The problem at the minute is that inflation is being driven by soaring energy costs making everything else more costly to produce. The governments don't want to see inflation slowing until it's had the effect of greatly reducing any borrowing during the pandemic.

imtommygunn

Yeah this is not your average kind of inflation I'd have thought.

Solutions here need to involved actual energy caps and not calling a price increase a cap...

RedHand88

Is a price cap a price cap if its increased 3 months down the line?

bennydorano

A big deep recession will sort inflation, and its coming worldwide.

Governments need to take the Energy companies to task, UK especially. Open season on profiteering.

Milltown Row2

For work I use a dongle for internet connection, possible EE, anyways, the odd time it will have run out of it original data and needs to be topped up..

Happened the other day and It used to be £15 for 10GB now its £17.50 for the same GB, where are the extra costs required for that top up?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Kidder81

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 11, 2022, 11:56:31 AM
Is a price cap a price cap if its increased 3 months down the line?

It's a cap on the energy companies profits I believe, if wholesale price goes up then so does the cap

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 11, 2022, 03:36:04 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 11, 2022, 01:16:45 PM
For work I use a dongle for internet connection, possible EE, anyways, the odd time it will have run out of it original data and needs to be topped up..

Happened the other day and It used to be £15 for 10GB now its £17.50 for the same GB, where are the extra costs required for that top up?

Dunno if this specifically helps but at the moment Argos are selling EE data sims with 120GB of data that has a 12 month expiry period for just £50 (£4.17 per 10GB of data).

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2152310?clickPR=plp:3:10

Will forward that on to the IT guy, god love him. one man covering hundreds of computers and networks .. thanks
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: bennydorano on August 11, 2022, 01:09:03 PM
A big deep recession will sort inflation, and its coming worldwide.

Governments need to take the Energy companies to task, UK especially. Open season on profiteering.
The EU price cap on gas  is about €40 per megawatt . The UK price cap is over £260.
Another advantage of the wee Union.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Nanderson

https://twitter.com/MichaelLCrick/status/1557478057833017344?s=20&t=QXkRsPUqNA2Gz3mHRRg2Ag

Came across this tweet. Its scandalous the amount of businesses that came from nowhere and really benefited from the pandemic. No doubt backed by rich and powerful owners and friends

bennydorano

Quote from: Nanderson on August 11, 2022, 07:49:22 PM
https://twitter.com/MichaelLCrick/status/1557478057833017344?s=20&t=QXkRsPUqNA2Gz3mHRRg2Ag

Came across this tweet. Its scandalous the amount of businesses that came from nowhere and really benefited from the pandemic. No doubt backed by rich and powerful owners and friends
Wonder did Private Eye do a cross reference investigation with Tory donorship?