250,000 State employees on strike

Started by sammymaguire, November 24, 2009, 09:48:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 25, 2009, 09:53:50 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 24, 2009, 05:04:29 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on November 24, 2009, 05:02:12 PM
Taxi driver on Joe Guffy earlier talking about Coppers and a few other clubs and pubs in Dublin being flat out last night. He said it was like Christmas Eve....he even said that he overheard a  few punters in the back of his cab saying that they hoped that the strike would be on a different day next time as Monday night wasnt the best night to be going out!!

I know this is going to probably get up everyone's noses, but my teaching friends were going daft in Coppers last night. I can see where the private sector anger is coming from, but the private sector were laughing at anyone who took a public sector job a couple of years ago.

Let me spell this out for you "BULLSHIT".

You're some rude C*** of  a B***** you *******.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Rossfan on November 25, 2009, 06:25:59 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 25, 2009, 09:53:50 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 24, 2009, 05:04:29 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on November 24, 2009, 05:02:12 PM
Taxi driver on Joe Guffy earlier talking about Coppers and a few other clubs and pubs in Dublin being flat out last night. He said it was like Christmas Eve....he even said that he overheard a  few punters in the back of his cab saying that they hoped that the strike would be on a different day next time as Monday night wasnt the best night to be going out!!

I know this is going to probably get up everyone's noses, but my teaching friends were going daft in Coppers last night. I can see where the private sector anger is coming from, but the private sector were laughing at anyone who took a public sector job a couple of years ago.

Perhaps, but at least i'm not from Roscommon.

The point is that this is a total bullshit lie. There is no evidence to support it except if you are talking about the real big wigs. I stated on these pages before that I worked in a factory once where everyone was on a list to join the civil service cos they would double their wages. They all got sequential numbers, some of them were listed above 10,000. This lie has been spouted here before, I have asked for proof to back up the assertion that the PS was ever making less than the private sector in recent times and surprise surprise I get no reply.

Farrandeelin

Sorry there myles, I meant those who were working in the building private sector. They wouldn't touch a public sector job a couple of years ago and they had wages as high (higher) as the public sector back then.

However, the Unions did push for too much and they got their wishes and won't accept a pay cut when everyone wants them to. Now they are redundant and it has a domino effect on the rest of the private sector with others losing jobs. The public sector (who had security and still do, most of them) are blamed for all the ills of the country and are made look bad.

The only ones who are laughing are the government as they don't seem to be taking much blame for anything IMHO.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Gnevin

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 25, 2009, 08:49:41 PM
The public sector (who had security and still do, most of them) are blamed for all the ills of the country and are made look bad.

Is this true? I mean not one is blaming the public sector for getting us into this mess. However the facts of the matter is 1.3 bl needs must be saved from the public sector wage bill and the options are wages cuts or jobs. Is there an option C. The private sector has taken these hits over the past 2 years.

Do you think the IMF will be any fairer?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Rossfan

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 25, 2009, 07:33:03 PM

[/quote]

Perhaps, but at least i'm not from Roscommon.

The point is that this is a total bullshit lie. There is no evidence to support it except if you are talking about the real big wigs. I stated on these pages before that I worked in a factory once where everyone was on a list to join the civil service cos they would double their wages. They all got sequential numbers, some of them were listed above 10,000. This lie has been spouted here before, I have asked for proof to back up the assertion that the PS was ever making less than the private sector in recent times and surprise surprise I get no reply.
[/quote]

Well I know two people who thought I was daft to apply for a public job in 2007.
One is now on the dole and the other has gone to Oz or NZ.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

My proposal would be to bring in a MAXIMUM wage of €100000/annum for government officials. The rest of the country should be forced to live with less than this. And bring down the cost of living to suit people's needs (if that could be done) :-\.

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 25, 2009, 10:03:57 PM
My proposal would be to bring in a MAXIMUM wage of €100000/annum for government officials. The rest of the country should be forced to live with less than this. And bring down the cost of living to suit people's needs (if that could be done) :-\.

Every multinational and anyone of talent would be gone in the morning.
MWWSI 2017

RMDrive

Quote from: Rossfan on November 25, 2009, 09:39:56 PM
Well I know two people who thought I was daft to apply for a public job in 2007.
One is now on the dole and the other has gone to Oz or NZ.

Yes but do you know anyone who laughed at you which was the original point made? There's an image being protrayed of people joining the PS having to walk through a gauntlet of private sector millionaires all lined up in their Range Rover Sports laughing and jeering at them. A PS job was a good one when I entered the labour market in 96 and it's still a good one.

Treasurer

The government have played an absolute blinder in turning it into a public versus private debate.

I'm non-union public sector and didn't agree with the strike but didn't pass the picket.  If it escalates it's going to get very messy - I can't afford to be losing pay over something I don't even agree with, but it's a rotten thing to have to walk in past colleagues.

The biggest problem in the sector was the policy of closed promotions over the years meant SOME people are in very well paid jobs that they aren't properly qualified for and would never have got in open competition.  Wage cuts might relieve some of the immediate pressure but that's a far bigger problem that needs to be addressed in the longer term.

Just a small point on the shopping queues - I'd say a large portion of shoppers were parents forced into taking the day off to stay with school going children.

And yes friends of mine were shocked when I went into the public sector 4 years ago because the wages were so low (half what I'd had in my previous job), but  I needed a job and was limited by location etc. 

trileacman

Quote from: Treasurer on November 25, 2009, 11:11:06 PM
The government have played an absolute blinder in turning it into a public versus private debate.

I'm non-union public sector and didn't agree with the strike but didn't pass the picket.  If it escalates it's going to get very messy - I can't afford to be losing pay over something I don't even agree with, but it's a rotten thing to have to walk in past colleagues.

The biggest problem in the sector was the policy of closed promotions over the years meant SOME people are in very well paid jobs that they aren't properly qualified for and would never have got in open competition.  Wage cuts might relieve some of the immediate pressure but that's a far bigger problem that needs to be addressed in the longer term.

Just a small point on the shopping queues - I'd say a large portion of shoppers were parents forced into taking the day off to stay with school going children.

And yes friends of mine were shocked when I went into the public sector 4 years ago because the wages were so low (half what I'd had in my previous job), but  I needed a job and was limited by location etc.

Rubbish. The unions played this on thier own. Firstly because I think the government are too incompetent to play it as well as it working out and secondly no-one would take their side if they waded in.

As napoleon said "dont interupt your enemy whilst their making a mistake". The government need to cut 1.3 billion. The unions tried to get their revenge in first, and muster up support from others. It backfired, badly, and all the government did was sit and grin. Don't attempt to credit the incompetent gobs with this.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Tankie

the public v private battle was always going to happen, the private sector took wage cuts, pay freezes and lost jobs (166k in a year) as the companies they work for have no money to survive. while the public sector wont accepts cut in wages, jobs and I woul dlove to know if there is actually a pay freeze in place for people who get promotions - all theis why their employer is broke......so this battle was always gonna take place.
Grand Slam Saturday!

Zapatista

Quote from: Tankie on November 26, 2009, 01:15:21 AM
the public v private battle was always going to happen, the private sector took wage cuts, pay freezes and lost jobs (166k in a year) as the companies they work for have no money to survive. while the public sector wont accepts cut in wages, jobs and I woul dlove to know if there is actually a pay freeze in place for people who get promotions - all theis why their employer is broke......so this battle was always gonna take place.

This has f all to do with public V private. Public V private is the ultimate infighting. It's about time we stopped fighting across eachother.

Gnevin

Quote from: Zapatista on November 26, 2009, 08:33:57 AM
Quote from: Tankie on November 26, 2009, 01:15:21 AM

This has f all to do with public V private. Public V private is the ultimate infighting. It's about time we stopped fighting across eachother.

Ok no problem tell the Private sector to get real and tell us how we will save 1.3bl if wage cuts and jobs cuts are out.   ::)
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: muppet on November 25, 2009, 10:10:58 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 25, 2009, 10:03:57 PM

Every multinational and anyone of talent would be gone in the morning.

Why? They'd have less to pay their employers.

Zapatista

Quote from: Gnevin on November 26, 2009, 08:50:15 AM
Ok no problem tell the Private sector to get real and tell us how we will save 1.3bl if wage cuts and jobs cuts are out.   ::)

I'm telling you that I won't get bogged down in a manufactured public - private divide and you keep quizzing from that stand point.