The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insane Bolt

Quote from: Orior on April 01, 2019, 11:31:19 AM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on April 01, 2019, 11:21:15 AM
Quit playing 10 years ago, played off 5, fed up with 5 hour rounds and scoring in com
petitions.

You mean not scoring?

No I mean 46 points to win stableford or nett 60 in stroke play.....if I had been able to compete with that then I should have been on tour.

Puckoon

Net golf is a great idea for mass participation but it is pure shit for fair and equitable competition. It would be nice to have a large enough club to group the participants into handicap like groups (0-5, 5-10, 11-15 etc) and have those groups play flat for sectional prizes - but then even that gives an advantage to the lower end guys. We're currently implementing a tournament point system at our club that will collate points based on wins and places in competitions. After X number of points, your handicap is adjusted in addition to the handicap adjustments that your stellar play has commanded naturally. It's a lot of work to track and a pain in the arse, but it's the only way we think we can deal with the sandbaggers.

There is no discernible way to mitigate the net factor. And for those of us who won't be scratch golfers - trying to have a fair playing field is important.

The ladies issue on the weekends is another tough one. And it's not even solely a gender issue. Applies to novices, the very serious golfers, and younger and older players as well - everyone in fact. Pace of play is insane and getting worse. Usually our first hour of times on Sat/Sun are booked by a group of men at the club and one of the rules is that we play fast (Handicaps range from +2 through to 14 and we play in 3.50-4.20). Last week two couples managed to get out on the first time of the day on Saturday and one of the ladies is quite militant about equality and point blank refused to let anyone play through them (our Marshall doesn't start to work the course until April). The course was empty in front of them but we had 8 players on most tee boxes waiting for them. The entire course got backed up and every round the rest of the day took over 5 hours. Shocking stuff. Bottom line, if you are taking a premium time on the course, you need to keep the thing moving. Irrespective of Gender/ability etc. I'd recommend courses back home revisit this gender issue and just ensure anyone going out keeps up with the group in front of them at all times.

screenexile

What does letting someone through have to do with equality??

If you're that slow and the course is empty in front then you have to let the faster group through!!

Puckoon

Quote from: screenexile on April 01, 2019, 05:07:35 PM
What does letting someone through have to do with equality??

If you're that slow and the course is empty in front then you have to let the faster group through!!

I get it, most others get it, she didn't get it. For years they weren't allowed out and now they are going to enjoy their Saturday morning and not be rushed. I am fine with anyone getting the time they want and the time they pay their significant money for. They just gotta not be the bottleneck.

It's not helped by our course being brutal for anyone who likes to play the ground game. Lots of forced carries.

Gabriel_Hurl

Lowry got confirmed for Augusta over the weekend

David McKeown

Currently renovating my house (have been for two years and I have a small bit of ground between a garage and an extension (both predate me) which I have little to no use for. Thinking of maybe looking at a three hole putting green. Has anyone any experience of these home greens or know anyone who does them?  What kind of cost are they? Area is about 3m by 7m so might not even be big enough with a longest putt of about 20 feet.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Insane Bolt

cornerback

Quote from: Insane Bolt on April 01, 2019, 03:36:34 PM
Quit playing 10 years ago, played off 5, fed up with 5 hour rounds and scoring in com
petitions.

You mean not scoring?

No I mean 46 points to win stableford or nett 60 in stroke play.....if I had been able to compete with that then I should have been on tour.

Was there no divisional prizes? Or best gross? Thought that would be fairly standard.

Saturday results from my club:
https://twitter.com/kmoongc/status/1112787750997123077?s=21

Insane Bolt

Quote from: cornerback on April 01, 2019, 08:50:25 PM
petitions.

You mean not scoring?

Was there no divisional prizes? Or best gross? Thought that would be fairly standard.

Yes there were gross prizes, and category prizes.....something that I disagree with(category) ...if there are 5 prizes then give them to the best 5 scores. Used to crack me up when someone got a prize in category 3 for a nett 70+......is that the point of having handicaps?
Those scores are very reasonable and give everyone a chance.

trailer

Quote from: Insane Bolt on April 01, 2019, 08:58:36 PM
Quote from: cornerback on April 01, 2019, 08:50:25 PM
petitions.

You mean not scoring?

Yes there were gross prizes, and category prizes.....something that I disagree with(category) ...if there are 5 prizes then give them to the best 5 scores. Used to crack me up when someone got a prize in category 3 for a nett 70+......is that the point of having handicaps?

If I played only to win, I'd give up as well.

Rois

Did you not just like playing for the craic? Was there ever a time when you enjoyed it, and didn't get annoyed by silly things like divisional prizes? I'm honestly interested, because you were obviously very good at it and must have liked it at one point.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: Rois on April 01, 2019, 10:53:34 PM

Did you not just like playing for the craic? Was there ever a time when you enjoyed it, and didn't get annoyed by silly things like divisional prizes? I'm honestly interested, because you were obviously very good at it and must have liked it at one point.

I loved the craic.....loved the banter, but spending 5+ hours on the course was too much. I started playing in 1974 when you were talked about if you took longer than 3hrs 15 to play.....and that on a course that had rough where the cry was 'did you get a line on that?' Every AGM from about 1990 talked about slow play.....but did nothing.....it was the same few offenders all the time. Anyway I had a great time playing......and would still play the odd round if I was back in Ireland.....the best courses in the world IMHO. To those of you starting off or struggling......nothing beats a few lessons from your club pro. The smell of cut grass.....The Masters days away......golf season is upon us. Enjoy👍

TheOptimist

Got my first round in today for my handicap
Off the tee and putting I was shocking. Keep this up it will be a big one. Have to say though the two guys I played with at the club  were absolute gents and accommodating to my lack of class. Really made me enjoy it
Things I done well and was happy with but didn't give myself a chance.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: TheOptimist on April 06, 2019, 06:34:24 PM
Got my first round in today for my handicap
Off the tee and putting I was shocking. Keep this up it will be a big one. Have to say though the two guys I played with at the club  were absolute gents and accommodating to my lack of class. Really made me enjoy it
Things I done well and was happy with but didn't give myself a chance.

Putting is the easiest to fix through practice as you can always go to the putting green for a half hour....as for driving my advice would be to try a 3 or 5 wood to build up. In my experience too many beginners were trying to hit driver.......you are better off being 150 yards down the fairway than 250 into the trees or rough. We all had to start somewhere....if I remember correctly my first score returned in a competition was a gross 148😩.

Rois

Thankfully now you can pick up at five over even in gross competitions.

I need to find a few others who will take me out to get my handicap. I am about to buy a house with access to a back gate into the golf course so will hopefully make it easier to get a few volunteers.