Iconic sporting images

Started by Eamonnca1, March 01, 2014, 03:34:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hardy on March 04, 2014, 11:48:44 PM
Quote from: ballela-angel on March 04, 2014, 12:27:40 PM
"If ballela-angel is right and that's the Longford captain, then it's Longford v Dublin (looks like the late 50s early 60s) and a quick check of the records shows the 1965 Leinster final was between these two counties.  The Dublin captain sporting an early skin tight geansai...John Timmons??"

I checked with Brendan Barden overnight and here's his e-mail to me "That was the Leinster final 1965 against Dublin John Timmons was Dublin captain we were beaten by two points having missed a penalty and Timmons scored two goals with two high lobbed kicks which went straight over the keepers head, keeper never played again - I think the ref was from Louth  maybe mcardle"

Spot on ballella (and AQMP and Brendan - good to hear from him). John Timmons was a tremendously skillful player, even if he carried a fair bit of condition. He had great midfield duels with one of the greatest Meath players ever, Mick Dunican from my own club, who is not remembered today because he was unfortunate enough to play in the middle of the 13-year period between Meath's second and third All-Irelands. I'd name Mick and Ken Rennicks as the best Meath players never to win a championship medal.

Timmons had a most unusual, but effective dummy technique that I haven't seen used by anybody else. He'd shape to kick the ball but instead of dropping the ball on his foot, he'd drop it beside it, on the outside while following through with the full leg swing. The dummy happened so late in the swing that the opponent trying the block was out of the game as Timmons collected the hop and carried on.

Out of the game with a broken jaw I'd say if he went to block a kick with no ball.

BennyHarp

"If ballela-angel is right and that's the Longford captain, then it's Longford v Dublin (looks like the late 50s early 60s) and a quick check of the records shows the 1965 Leinster final was between these two counties.  The Dublin captain sporting an early skin tight geansai...John Timmons??"

I checked with Brendan Barden overnight and here's his e-mail to me "That was the Leinster final 1965 against Dublin John Timmons was Dublin captain we were beaten by two points having missed a penalty and Timmons scored two goals with two high lobbed kicks which went straight over the keepers head, keeper never played again - I think the ref was from Louth  maybe mcardle"

Spot on ballella (and AQMP and Brendan - good to hear from him). John Timmons was a tremendously skillful player, even if he carried a fair bit of condition. He had great midfield duels with one of the greatest Meath players ever, Mick Dunican from my own club, who is not remembered today because he was unfortunate enough to play in the middle of the 13-year period between Meath's second and third All-Irelands. I'd name Mick and Ken Rennicks as the best Meath players never to win a championship medal.

Timmons had a most unusual, but effective dummy technique that I haven't seen used by anybody else. He'd shape to kick the ball but instead of dropping the ball on his foot, he'd drop it beside it, on the outside while following through with the full leg swing. The dummy happened so late in the swing that the opponent trying the block was out of the game as Timmons collected the hop and carried on.

Thats class - would have loved to see that in action.  :D
That was never a square ball!!

amallon

Great thread, but a few captions would be great for some of the less well known photos.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

ardtole

There is a great photo of Benny Coulter in one of the aussie rules games fielding a ball above a couple of aussies. His knees are around their shoulders. I cant remember where i seen it, maybe the pub in mayobridge, do you know the pic im on about A Mallon?

5 Sams

Quote from: ardtole on March 05, 2014, 01:49:34 PM
There is a great photo of Benny Coulter in one of the aussie rules games fielding a ball above a couple of aussies. His knees are around their shoulders. I cant remember where i seen it, maybe the pub in mayobridge, do you know the pic im on about A Mallon?

This one?

The Aristocrat Years

NAG1

Quote from: 5 Sams on March 05, 2014, 02:08:49 PM
Quote from: ardtole on March 05, 2014, 01:49:34 PM

This one?

No doubt it is a great picture but in fairness you couldnt get an Irish News below the aussie lad  ;)

nrico2006

Never liked McGeeney, but has anybody got a picture of him putting manners into one of the aussies a few years ago?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

Jaysus, did he never hear of a jockstrap or cycle shorts?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 05, 2014, 02:51:59 PM
Jaysus, did he never hear of a jockstrap or cycle shorts?

Was guilty of this once before!!! Nightmare lol thankfully no pictures
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

nrico2006

Know a fella that had his picture (an action shot) in the lurgan mail with the old circa 1993 gaelic shorts and the boyoo on full display.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Eamonnca1

Ovett, Cram and Coe in the 1500 M final in the 1984 LA Olympics.

Gabriel_Hurl

Bobby Murdoch of Celtic squaring up to Rangers' Alex Ferguson in an Old Firm match

Hardy

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 05, 2014, 09:21:31 AM

Out of the game with a broken jaw I'd say if he went to block a kick with no ball.
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 05, 2014, 09:21:31 AM

Y'all callin' me a liar, hombre?

Asal Mor

Joe Sheridan's winning goal against  against Louth

The Louth fans react badly.

Meath county board official responds to calls for a replay

seafoid

Quote from: Asal Mor on March 06, 2014, 02:01:57 AM
Joe Sheridan's winning goal against  against Louth

The Louth fans react badly.

Meath county board official responds to calls for a replay

Very good

I really liked Colm O'Rourke's PR effort "Meath people weren't happy with it either. No, we won't give a replay"
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU