Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiempo

Quote from: omagh_gael on March 30, 2018, 01:17:41 PM
Quote from: WT4E on March 30, 2018, 10:33:29 AM
Quote from: omagh_gael on March 30, 2018, 10:20:59 AM
Quote from: Tyroneforsam on March 29, 2018, 11:06:09 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on March 29, 2018, 10:44:16 PM
I'm afraid I can't answer. I'm a Loughmacrory man now, been out of the town for 7 years! I'll send my Mum over with a flask of tea, though ;)

How can you jump from one club to another. That wouldn't rest easily wiith me tbh!

To be honest, I never was the biggest OSE clubman. I played with them until minor then headed to Liverpool to university. When I came back I played F&W soccer with an Omagh club. I moved to the Lough 7 years ago have kids playing and I coach the 6s. This feels more like a 'club' than OSE ever did for me. My forum name is more of a reflection of where I'm from rather than my allegiance. I still lived in Omagh when I joined up here.

I think when someone changes club when they get married and start a family its the right thing to do - you want to integrate into the community and make sure your kids make friends in the area.

Its not as if your a young player who plays for say Stewartstown and decides one day that Cookstown are better and might win something so transfer and then maybe some day decide you know what Stewartstown have got better and might win something so i will transfer back!

Agree 100%. We had no connections at all in the Lough when we moved there and through school and football we've met a pile of people. I notice a huge difference in the community vibe in the Lough v my underage days in OSE. To be fair though there is serious work gone into Omagh over the last decade and their activities etc are through the roof. Must be all those missing half time draws ;)

What would the difference in Omagh volunteer levels be pre and post 2003? Much difference at all?

omagh_gael

To be fair I wouldn't be in a position to give a near accurate reflection as I was only 18 in 2003 so wouldn't have had a knowledge of numbers pre 2003 and wasn't involved with OSE when I moved back to Omagh in 2006.

However, there has been, without doubt, a huge difference in number of kids coming along. The AI wins significantly affected participation rates and interest in the GAA in general. Even Drumragh is getting big numbers in underage (still shite, mind you!! ;) )

skeog

Drumragh are a wonderful club very community minded less of the derogatory remarks.Sailing against the tide like the Tatts if a good player is noted he generally ends up with Saint Endas.

tiempo

Quote from: omagh_gael on April 03, 2018, 09:55:24 AM
To be fair I wouldn't be in a position to give a near accurate reflection as I was only 18 in 2003 so wouldn't have had a knowledge of numbers pre 2003 and wasn't involved with OSE when I moved back to Omagh in 2006.

However, there has been, without doubt, a huge difference in number of kids coming along. The AI wins significantly affected participation rates and interest in the GAA in general. Even Drumragh is getting big numbers in underage (still shite, mind you!! ;) )

If you weren't the biggest Omagh club man as mentioned before, then how are you in a position to say it didnt feel like a club?

I've quoted the answer in the above post for you if that helps.

omagh_gael

Quote from: skeog on April 03, 2018, 12:04:33 PM
Drumragh are a wonderful club very community minded less of the derogatory remarks.Sailing against the tide like the Tatts if a good player is noted he generally ends up with Saint Endas.

The wink face would indicate that that comment was in jest. Drumragh are, indeed, an excellent club. My brothers both play with them incidentally.

WT4E

Quote from: skeog on April 03, 2018, 12:04:33 PM

Ah come on - This is just rival club banter I'd say. I often give the Fr Rocks a good slating on here mostly for the craic - I know loads of people in  the club and they are good folk but you need to be able to create a bit of rivalry too.

omagh_gael

Quote from: tiempo on April 03, 2018, 12:17:29 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on April 03, 2018, 09:55:24 AM

If you weren't the biggest Omagh club man as mentioned before, then how are you in a position to say it didnt feel like a club?

I've quoted the answer in the above post for you if that helps.

Jaysus there are some delicate flowers around here. I'm simply saying that Omagh is a vibrant club now that is always flat out with events/activities. My memory from 15+ years ago is that there wasn't as much going on. I may be wrong and, to be fair, GAA clubs in general are far more activity/event focused with couch to 5ks, strictly dancing etc happening all over the place.

vallankumous

Quote from: RedHand88 on April 02, 2018, 11:41:19 AM
Quote from: longballin on March 30, 2018, 09:34:39 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on March 30, 2018, 09:03:54 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on March 30, 2018, 08:35:35 AM
Seen that alright. People yap about everyone should get behind mickey and the team but how can they when he is so divisive? If he is so interested in abortion/religion/politics then maybe he should stick to that and leave the football to someone else. No wonder he so keen to hang onto Tyrone job. Gives him a great platform to push his own personal agenda regarding political/religious views. Shameful stuff for a gaa manager to be honest.

If he was in favour of repealing the 8th would it be divisive??

is it really relevant what he thinks about it one way or other? What does Mattie McGleenan think about the abortion debate or Eamonn Fitzmaurice or Jim Galvin.. who cares?

Exactly.

Inter County managers without political views are as rare as Clubs Committees without political views.

Thebigdog

Yes and they generally keep them to their selves. Now that the manager is in fact  SDLP is this not appropriate since Tyrone is the most Republican county in Ireland. Not really one of our own is he?

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: Thebigdog on April 04, 2018, 01:46:47 PM
Yes and they generally keep them to their selves. Now that the manager is in fact  SDLP is this not appropriate since Tyrone is the most Republican county in Ireland. Not really one of our own is he?

I couldn't care less if Mickey Harte was a DUP supporter or what political views he aligns himself too as long as he is getting the results on the pitch.  I don't know how you gather stats to proclaim Tyrone as the most republican county in Ireland. An interesting statement that doesn't really belong on a County Football and Hurling forum
Living the dream!!!

southtyronegael

tyrone usually returns a higher number of republican candidates in elections than other counties and if you check the roll of honour again there has been a higher no. of volunteers killed in tyrone than other counties. not that mickeh harte would know much about that, he kept in with the church and a cosy wee teaching job while others done the dirty work during the troubles.

omagh_gael

Seriously STG, what the f**k is that all about? This is a fecking county football discussion board and you're posting personal shit like that. f**k off will you.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: southtyronegael on April 04, 2018, 02:11:18 PM
tyrone usually returns a higher number of republican candidates in elections than other counties and if you check the roll of honour again there has been a higher no. of volunteers killed in tyrone than other counties. not that mickeh harte would know much about that, he kept in with the church and a cosy wee teaching job while others done the dirty work during the troubles.

Just so I am up to date, is there anything I have forgot to add to the list of Things Mickey Did:

Hates East Tyrone
Plays overly defensive football
Didn't give Mugsy enough credit for his goal
Doesn't like abortions
Didn't contribute to the armed republican struggle

omagh_gael

He has also made personal financial allegations too, if memory serves me right.

Tyrone Dreamer

Beat Kerry playing his "friends and neighbours" the last day. Great achievement to be fair.