The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

I wonder will Kidney shake things up a bit next week, just to keep players on their toes?

Maybe O'Gara and Kearney will both start, maybe Trimble too if Darce is anything less than 100%. Jennings, Cullen and Buckley might also have a shout of a start (in that order). If Sexton doesn't start I reckon Kidney will give him a good 20 minutes anyway.

Capt Pat

Sexton is a handy player but he is not the second coming of Christ. The reality is there is nobody else to take the goal kicks, so until Sexton gets his head back in that game he is off the team. The same would be true the other way round with O'Gara. There is a triple crown on the line next week which is something more important than the ego and confidence of the outhalf.

johnneycool

Quote from: Capt Pat on March 15, 2010, 02:19:53 PM
Sexton is a handy player but he is not the second coming of Christ. The reality is there is nobody else to take the goal kicks, so until Sexton gets his head back in that game he is off the team. The same would be true the other way round with O'Gara. There is a triple crown on the line next week which is something more important than the ego and confidence of the outhalf.

Does anyone other than Ireland give a f**k for this triple crown shite?

Would i be right in saying they didn't even have a trophy for it until a few years back?

AZOffaly

Quote from: johnneycool on March 15, 2010, 03:28:33 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on March 15, 2010, 02:19:53 PM

Does anyone other than Ireland give a f**k for this triple crown shite?

Would i be right in saying they didn't even have a trophy for it until a few years back?

I think it's a historical throwback from when it was the 4 nations. Then a triple crown was a de facto Grand Slam. Then France came in and spoiled everything :D

There was no trophy for it until the late 90s I think, or maybe even later. Then they robbed the Wimbledon Women's Singles trophy and awarded it to Ireland.

In fairness I think, for historical reasons, the Scots, Welsh and English (probably in that order) still care about it. It's a tangible version of local 'bragging rights'.

Hardy

Caid

Bit of a long shot I know but if anyone has any spare tickets (reasonably priced ones) for the match at the weekend would you should me an email (b1461402@qub.ac.uk)

Cheers
Caid
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

passedit

Quote from: Hardy on March 15, 2010, 03:46:00 PM
Think of it as a bit like the O'Byrne Shield.

That'd be the Calcutta Cup.

Treated with due respect by messrs Jeffrey and Richards back in the day.
Don't Panic

highorlow

Great win for Munster on Saturday.

Good warm up for the HC.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

trileacman

Alot of shite being posted on here. Firstly Kearny is not or nowhere near the Worlds best FB. Off hand I can think of Byrne and now poitranaud being better. That's not even considering Southern Hemisphere sides. Murphy's two displays have been superior to alot of Kearny's rugby in the past year and he should now be given the Full back shirt in my opinion.

Kearny has no attacking threat compared with any other world class full back and is only considered so highly because of his capable hands and strong boot which we all love coz it minds us of a GAA midfielder or FB.

Interesting to see the Sexton apolygists out in force. Had ROG produced these kicking displays the same men would have been twisting the knife in no time. But anyway we are going down this road so we'll have to stick with him. He does get the best out of the backs and aids the defence.

George Hook is also right. The triple crown is a losers trophy and means shite all. However we still have to win this match and cant afford to piss about with the team too much, starting trimble would be dabbling with defeat, he's an awful centre. The only change I would believe in making is starting Mushy to see if he can scrummage. We are now 12 months from a WC and we have an embarassment of a scrum. If Mushy is the way forward (which he isn't) then we need to bleed him quickly.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

ludermor

On current form Byrne is cack! And Poitranaud is still flakey as f**k. Kearney hasnt been great for the last 6 months but i wouldnt write off all his last years form when he was superb.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: trileacman on March 15, 2010, 10:29:52 PM
Alot of shite being posted on here. Firstly Kearny is not or nowhere near the Worlds best FB. Off hand I can think of Byrne and now poitranaud being better. That's not even considering Southern Hemisphere sides. Murphy's two displays have been superior to alot of Kearny's rugby in the past year and he should now be given the Full back shirt in my opinion.

Kearny has no attacking threat compared with any other world class full back and is only considered so highly because of his capable hands and strong boot which we all love coz it minds us of a GAA midfielder or FB.

Kearney's current form is only middling but you must not have seen him play last season at all if you think he has no attacking threat. Poitrenaud is currently playing fairly well but is always an accident waiting to happen and it will happen. Byrne's current form is much like Kearney's. Middling at best.

screenexile

Quote from: Capt Pat on March 16, 2010, 12:31:41 AM
Alot of shite being posted on here. .

Aint that the truth.

Sexton's shit. . . NO O'Gara's shite!! NO!! Kearney's shite! O'Leary's shite, Stringers shite, Hayes is shite, our scrum is shite, O'Callaghan's shite too and so is Trimble and Paddy Wallace, Murphy's shite as is Reddan and our whole scrum. . .

f**k me it's a wonder that we win a match at all!!!

ha ha derry

Quote from: screenexile on March 16, 2010, 12:58:28 AM
Quote from: Capt Pat on March 16, 2010, 12:31:41 AM
Alot of shite being posted on here. .

Aint that the truth.

Sexton's shit. . . NO O'Gara's shite!! NO!! Kearney's shite! O'Leary's shite, Stringers shite, Hayes is shite, our scrum is shite, O'Callaghan's shite too and so is Trimble and Paddy Wallace, Murphy's shite as is Reddan and our whole scrum. . .

f**k me it's a wonder that we win a match at all!!!

:D :D :D :D

It used to be better craic when every ten or so matches Ireland would win one.  ::)
Seriously though Declan Kidney knows what he is doing and will have the best available squad ready for the world cup.

Hound

No change!