The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cookstownblue

Met Geordan murphy, in a pub in London Sunday night, must have been pretty late, and a guy comes up to him,
"Gordon, great game yesterday, well done Gordan!"
To which he replies,
"Gordan? Me name's not f**kin Gordon, Call me Gordon again and I'll F**k yee down them stairs!"

lol I laughed! He prob gets this a lot!

Real nice guy too, he was full of banter ( and jaigermeister)

Celt_Man

Looks like Kearney  will be grand for Saturday

Rob Kearney came through a full session with Ireland today but is not guaranteed to slot straight back into the first XV against Wales.

Kearney completed a full session in Greystones today prior to tomorrow's selection announcement for Saturday's RBS 6 Nations clash with Wales.

Captain and centre Brian O'Driscoll and number eight Jamie Heaslip all took a full part in the session.

But Kearney is not guaranteed to come straight back into the starting line-up having missed the match against England with Geordan Murphy impressing in his absence.

Speaking to RTÉ Sport's Michael Corcoran, Ireland attack coach Alan Gaffney said:' 'Rob Kearney trained today and came through the whole session. It looks like he'll be okay. We've got to go through the selection process.

'Obviously Geordan played very, very well against England and he played extremely well on the weekend (for Leicester) against London Irish, which we kept a close eye on.'

But Kearney is available and his speedy recovery may play a role in the selection debate, while Ireland will have a full deck to select from in the other positions.

Gaffney added: 'Kearns is back and he hasn't been out for that long since he got hurt in the first 20 minutes against France. Everybody else is available apart from the long-term injuries.'

O'Driscoll was forced off in the final quarter of the 16-20 victory against England after being struck on the head by Paul O'Connell's knee.

Gaffney added that O'Driscoll has 'recovered well' from the blow, which clearly staggered him.

O'Driscoll subsequently described England centre and Lions team-mate Riki Flutey as 'the villain of the piece' for his part in the clash.

The Ireland captain wrote in his IRFU blog: 'As for the blame game, I'm beginning to come round to the suggestion that Riki Flutey is the villain of the piece.

'If he had not tripped me, I think I would have collected the chip ahead comfortably and not found myself scrambling around unaware that I was about to become road-kill.'

O'Driscoll was also the victim of a late hit by Flutey when Ireland beat England last year.

Heaslip completed 80-minutes against England but was seen to be limping in the aftermath of the game but he has now made a full recovery and is available for selection.
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Donnellys Hollow

Team unchanged from Twickenham. Kearney replaces Trimble on the bench.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on March 09, 2010, 01:33:48 PM
Team unchanged from Twickenham. Kearney replaces Trimble on the bench.

Delighted for Geordan Murphy. Kearney will be back obviously, but Murphy did nothing wrong at Twickenham, so it's right that he retains his place.

Aghdavoyle

Haven't seen murphy other than the england game since he returned from injury. He dropped one dolly in that one. how has he been playing and particularly, how has he been tackling?

Archie Mitchell

Always great to see big John Hayes show so much emotion during the anthems.

AidyMac

stuck at work

anyone got a link to the game?

cheers

sorry - found a link on rte

Hoof Hearted

poor start by both teams, but yet again in this tournament, it shows that you cant afford to be a man down at this level. Ireland scored 2 tries when Lee Byrne was sin-binned. Good tries by Earls and O'Leary.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Capt Pat

Just back from the game. It was a strangely muted atmosphere at this game, double agent Lee Byrne won it for us with the sin binning and penalty in the second half. Nice performances from O'Leary and Earls amongst others.

Premier Emperor

Quote from: Capt Pat on March 13, 2010, 05:01:24 PM
Just back from the game. It was a strangely muted atmosphere at this game, double agent Lee Byrne won it for us with the sin binning and penalty in the second half.
He must be from Wicklow with a name like that!

thewobbler

That was impressive enough from Ireland today. Patient, committed and clinical.

Sexton had on off-game yet our backs still look much livelier for his presence than they normally do with ROG pulling the strings.

O'Leary was very good, even if some of his passing was dreadful. I would have usurped him for man of the match though by any of Wallace, O'Connell, Earls, and even Rory Best - whose defensive effort was superb. In fairness, it's nice to have that many contenders for MotM.

Capt Pat

With the missed kicks of Sexton and a lot of balls kicked straight into touch by the Irish team and a lot of very handy penalties given to the Welsh today I though it was a very poot effort by Wales to be 15 points behind at the end. they were never really at the races today. The Irish team is stronger than ever as of this moment in time. Stronger than it was last year and just had a bad day at the office against the French. Some players are aging though and the world cup can not come soon enough.

mackers

Ireland seem to be happy to trust their defence and hit teams on the break. O'Leary should be to stop box-kicking cause he can't do it, always too long but that aside he played well. Thought Rory Best was MOTM myself. As an aside, I've noticed that ROG belts out the anthem but NEVER sings Ireland's Call, good number of the players sing the anthem and not Ireland's Call.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

gallsman

Good win considering how little ball we had. Great to see a killer instinct in some of our play at long last. Several outstanding displays as mentioned above. BOD didn't have the greatest of days on his century what with penalties, missed tackles and poor kicks, but considering the guy's achievements and standing, I think he can be allowed one bad day!

On a more serious note, Sexton remains to convince that he's the real deal. Yesterday had some flashes of ability with the drop goal, but both his place kicking and from hand were very poor. I've discussed this with a few people and they've said "he's young" or "he needs time" but it's not as if the guy is a baby, he's nearly 25. I think he's very much the "next best" after O'Gara instead of a true replacement. For all the depth in several positions Ireland ave these days, with a lot more promising players at the various under-age levels, we've a shocking lack of out-halves.

Capt Pat

Sexton kicked well last year, but this year he has gone back to what he was like when he first came on the Leinster team as a goal kicker. He needs to get refocused at his goal kicking. At this point in time he should be dropped. Kicking the ball straight into touch is not good enough at this level either. I do expect him to be Irelands first choice outhalf in the world cup in 18 months