The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

2 out halves on the bench as cover for the backs, I would have preferred if he had included Trimble than Wallace.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Capt Pat on February 11, 2010, 03:14:58 PM
2 out halves on the bench as cover for the backs, I would have preferred if he had included Trimble than Wallace.

Well Wallace isn't an out and out fly half - probably his versatility helped him get the nod
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Celt_Man

The Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys are at it again...

France's Morgan Parra says Irish 'cheat every weekend'

RBS SIX NATIONS - FRANCE v IRELAND

Scrum-half Morgan Parra has become the latest France player to hit out at Grand Slam champions Ireland in advance of Saturday's Six Nations clash.

Lionel Nallet cast doubts on Ireland's credentials earlier this week and Parra claimed that Declan Kidney's side "cheat every weekend".

"They have a great defence. (They're) cheating, but intelligently cheating. It's very well done," said Parra.

"If we did the same thing, we would be punished each time."

Parra added that he while he respected the Irish team, he had "little admiration" for last year's Six Nations champions.

The Grand Slam champions are undefeated in their past 12 matches but Parra is convinced that run will be brought to an end on Saturday.

"The Irish have a great team, with a Munster spine, but I am not impressed. We can be (impressed) by certain players but not in general by their team.

We dissected the video very well. There's not a moment when they're not cheating.

France scrum-half Morgan Parra

"How many matches have they gone without defeat? Twelve, 13? Well fine, that will finish at 12 this Saturday."

Ireland have the added motivation of revenge as the country is still smarting at the way the Republic of Ireland football team was defeated by France in the World Cup play-offs following Thierry Henry's infamous handball.

Ireland back Keith Earls said recently they would not hesitate to cheat on Saturday but Parra hit back by insisting that Irish do so all the time.

"That won't be a surprise. They have experienced players who can do so.

"We dissected the video very well. There's not a moment when they're not cheating.

"They're the least penalised team in the tournament, which is very impressive."

On Thursday, lock Nallet dubbed the Irish as "effective" but was far from gushing in his description of Declan Kidney's side.

"Their game does not make me jump," said Nallet.

"They are a European reference since they last won the tournament. But we're here, too. I do not see them as the best in the world."

Nallet acknowledge that he is expecting a sterner test than that produced by Scotland last weekend as the French clinched a comprehensive 18-9 win at Murrayfield.

"It will be a big fight to deliver face as we face stronger opponents than the Scots, especially up front," added Nallet.

Should Ireland prevail against the Six Nations favourites at the Stade de France, it will be only their third successful visit to the French capital since 1952.

Celt_Man

You just know comments like that are gonna be stuck up on the Irish Dressing Room wall, not that any extra motivation is needed!

lynchbhoy

Irish cheating ?
pot kettle and black mr parra !!!

then again EVERY team does - from forward passes, to closing too early in the line out, to messing with the binding an driving in scrum to being continually offside

the south africans are worst at it followed by the aussies (though Dinny will no doubt say NZ are the worst)

Dinny Breen

If you can slow down the ball in rugby you are giving your team a chance to organise their defence, Ireland are very apt a this and it's very much a Munster strength, it's not cheating per se much more pushing the boundaries of the law, Ireland will have their homework done on the ref and will know exactly what they can get away with - Ireland are a well organised team and it's a massive strength. If we can take it to the French early in the game, play the corners and territory, frustrate them we'll win especially as I feel Kidney will bring on Sexton in the last 20 when the game is looser. If France though get their noses in front and we have chase early we don't have the fire power to compete. Rugby intelligence is the most important factor in a game like this, with the likes of POC, ROG and BOD all on the Paddock Ireland are Einstein compared to the French leaders.

NZ are masters at cheating by the way, McCaw been the best cheater in the world.
#newbridgeornowhere

Olaf

One thing that he is correct on is that Ireland are not very entertaining to watch and haven't been so for a while. Last week's game was woeful. Mind you , O'Gara aside ,the Irish do have more creativity in the backs when compared with the likes of Bastareaud and Jauzion . This was certainly never the case in the 80s/90s.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Olaf on February 12, 2010, 04:06:41 PM
One thing that he is correct on is that Ireland are not very entertaining to watch and haven't been so for a while. Last week's game was woeful. Mind you , O'Gara aside ,the Irish do have more creativity in the backs when compared with the likes of Bastareaud and Jauzion . This was certainly never the case in the 80s/90s.

Hmmm I thought that the 3 games in the Autumn were very entertaining!!  Granted I didn't see last week's game but by most accounts it wasn't a classic!

Capt Pat

Blackrock college lost against Gerards of Bray, 7-0 yesteday  which might be of interest to those who know what it means. I had a neice born today and that type of result might never happen again in her lifetime.

Celt_Man

Quote from: Capt Pat on February 12, 2010, 04:18:29 PM
Blackrock college lost against Gerards of Bray, 7-0 yesteday  which might be of interest to those who know what it means. I had a neice born today and that type of result might never happen again in her lifetime.

I presume thats the Senior Cup?  I know feck all about it but enough to know that would be a shock at least going on history.  Are Blackrock out now?

AZOffaly

I actually think O'Gara has a lovely flat pass/skip pass. The problem with him is that he is a lot deeper than say Sexton, so the opposition can get up very quick if he decides to spin it out. Of course being a bit deeper helps with his kicking.

I don't buy into it that he is some sort of black hole.

Celt_Man

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 12, 2010, 04:28:35 PM
I actually think O'Gara has a lovely flat pass/skip pass. The problem with him is that he is a lot deeper than say Sexton, so the opposition can get up very quick if he decides to spin it out. Of course being a bit deeper helps with his kicking.

ROG gives a great interview here.  Having read his autobiography recently he really is a open and honest fella and this interview backs it up

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/8512507.stm

Capt Pat

Yup, back home in the castle crying into their dinners as if a relative had passed away. They really do have a castle.

Olaf

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 12, 2010, 04:28:35 PM

If an OH who  lies deep and with defences so well organised these days you will not see an entertaining game of rugby.

The excitement (and therefore risk) now comes from quick ruck/set piece  ball delivered to an OH who takes it close to the gain line. The risk in O'Gara taking the ball close to the gain line is obviously too great for Ireland as he is too easily turned over and not evasive enough .

Whilst he was awful in last season's 6 Nations (notwithstanding the DG v Wales) his performances this year (2010) have not been bad , in that he has played to Ireland's game plan and kicked his goals.

Celt_Man

Jaysus less than half an hour to go.... and I can't wait

I'd love to see them Hit the hitter ie Bastareud like Munster did for Chabal against Sale a couple of years ago...

Come on Ireland