An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Itchy on January 27, 2019, 08:37:13 PM
Quote from: Manning18 on January 27, 2019, 08:24:44 PM
Quote from: Itchy on January 27, 2019, 08:04:57 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 27, 2019, 04:08:29 PM
FT

Galway 0-13 Cavan 0-11

Bad first half.

Galway had the only two goal chances. The Cavan keeper (who was very good) saved both over the bar.

Cavan scored 0-3 in injury time to make it a tighter finish than it should have been.

5 black cards issued I think.

5 changes on Galway side.

Dublin defeat probably not ideal going up to play them next weekend in CP. Can't imagine some of the lads who togged today will be allowed to play again.

Cavan also had a goal chance in 1st half but  made a mess of it.

Referree deserve a mention, atrocious. Two of Cavans blacks were terrible calls. Galway also should have seen red for a forearm challenge on Cavan midfielder. Galway were much improved in the 2nd half. Cavan fitness looked way off where it needs to be too. I think Galway will struggle against the better teams and I am afraid I will have to re-assess our chances as I struggle to see us win against anyone after watching that.

The ref was atrocious but not sure how a Cavan person could see him in a negative light given the string of ridiculous calls in the first half giving Cavan scoreable frees. Shafted Galway until the half. 2 black cards were for tit for tat messing, one to either player, so which black cards did you have issue with? Surely not the one to your midfielder taking Shane Walsh out off the ball? The one for the contested catch was on the harsh side alright. Galway had a fairly legitimate penalty claim denied late on

Black card 1 - Galway player trips cavan man in front of ref with his hand. Stone wall black.

Black card 2- Galway player puts ball over Martin Reilly and intentionally runs into him and jumps on ground roaring. Not a black card but maybe replay will change my view.

Black card 3 and 4 - cavan and Galway player jostling and pulling off the ball, cavan player tries to run away and is tripped. Definite blsck card for galway player, no black card offense committed by cavan player but if the jostling was an issue it should have been a yellow.

Black card no 5- definite black to cavan player.

Peno was not a peno and you are not allowed pull jerseys, even in salthill so that's where the frees came from.

Just on the black cards, McDaid got a fully deserved one, and it was a stupid one to get as Galway were on the attack on the other side of the pitch, instead it resulted in a throw ball that Cavan won and Galway a man down for nothing. At least some of the Cavan cards were taking an attacking player out of it. Duggan got a yellow but it wasn't a black card offence, could have been a red.
Cavan could have easily have got another black card for a deliberate trip in the first half but it would be foolish to point to the black cards as the decisive factor in this match, Galway didn't exactly rack up the scores during the time when Cavan were down by one or two men, while Cavan had the man advantage after McDaid got the line for 10 minutes at the start of the second half and did nothing much with it.
Aside from not moving into a dominant position with the man advantage at the start of the second half where Cavan really torpedoed themselves was in the first 25 minutes when they were the better team out there, they had numerous chances to push themselves even further than 3 ahead but hit some dodgy wides and also in the first half had a few very poor free attempts, some them should really have been gimmes at this level.

Galway were very slow out of the blocks and poor in general in the first half. Some of the inaccurate aimless ball played into the FF line was hard to fathom, even Galway's top players like Burke and Walsh weren't immune to some hospital passes.

McDaid really looked a lad who had been away from top level football for a while, one good run in the first half but ended up going straight into traffic, his black card was a poor one to get but there's a lesson there for all Galway players in terms of when to take a black card. Overall didn't really get into the game but he's a big unit now compared to his U21 days and his ability at that level was unquestionable.

Sean Andy was unusually tentative on a number of high balls that he was really the favourite for, didn't cleanly catch or break it out where he wanted it to go. Nothing major happened as a result but against better opposition it could be a problem, something to watch as the league moves forward particularly with the defensive mark in play.

Bradshaw played well and the Galway turnaround began shortly after he was introduced which I don't think was a coincidence.

Flynn has turned into a much more consistent presence on the pitch compared to a few years ago, he turned it around last summer and I hope that he maintains that level into the rest of 2019. Cooke had a decent match without doing anything spectacular.

Heaney and Kelly played fairly well although Heaney should have buried his goal chance. Shane Walsh is going to get some more lads black carded with his direct running, if he's gone past it's either let him go or foul, there's no catching him.

I liked what I saw from Cunningham, deceptively quick and he got into some great positions. He fluffed a very easy point chance in the first half and really should have stuck his goal chance in the second but that bit more composure required will hopefully come with more game time moving forward. He's the type of player that Galway need to put the hand up this league campaign.

I assume that the Corofin lads will be gone for the duration of the club championship after yesterday but it was good to see them out there today, Silke will add a lot to that team this year, very steady.

Overall Galway were pedestrian enough even when they got going in the match but it was a game they ground out, once they got 3 points up I thought it was pretty much over as a contest. Cavan got the last 3 points and Galway didn't look great trying to see the match out in injury time truth be told. Galway tried a couple of killer passes to setup goals in the second half, none of which came off, given the way the match was playing out they would have been better off just sticking the ball over the bar.

McKiernan is clearly a big loss for Cavan at the moment but based on what I saw today Cavan will struggle to stay up unless they bring something very different or improve greatly in the subsequent league rounds.
It might be no different for ourselves in the long run but we've at least got the first must win game in the bag, it's a free shot match against the Dubs away next Saturday, anything out of it will be a very unexpected bonus.

NetNitrate

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 27, 2019, 11:50:33 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on January 27, 2019, 11:33:45 PM
Roscommon's Smith should get a year for that eye gouging.

Doubt it, after all there was no year bans for James McCarthy or Philly McMahon for similar eye gouging incidents.

You are forgetting about the unwritten GAA rule:
"If it's a smaller GAA county, be sure to make an example of them."

galwayman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 28, 2019, 12:13:25 AM
FT

Galway 0-13 Cavan 0-11

Bad first half.

Galway had the only two goal chances. The Cavan keeper (who was very good) saved both over the bar.

Cavan scored 0-3 in injury time to make it a tighter finish than it should have been.

Dublin defeat probably not ideal going up to play them next weekend in CP. Can't imagine some of the lads who togged today will be allowed to play again.

Referree deserve a mention, atrocious. Two of Cavans blacks were terrible calls. Galway also should have seen red for a forearm challenge on Cavan midfielder. Galway were much improved in the 2nd half. Cavan fitness looked way off where it needs to be too. I think Galway will struggle against the better teams and I am afraid I will have to re-assess our chances as I struggle to see us win against anyone after watching that.

The ref was atrocious but not sure how a Cavan person could see him in a negative light given the string of ridiculous calls in the first half giving Cavan scoreable frees. Shafted Galway until the half. 2 black cards were for tit for tat messing, one to either player, so which black cards did you have issue with? Surely not the one to your midfielder taking Shane Walsh out off the ball? The one for the contested catch was on the harsh side alright. Galway had a fairly legitimate penalty claim denied late on

Black card 1 - Galway player trips cavan man in front of ref with his hand. Stone wall black.

Black card 2- Galway player puts ball over Martin Reilly and intentionally runs into him and jumps on ground roaring. Not a black card but maybe replay will change my view.

Black card 3 and 4 - cavan and Galway player jostling and pulling off the ball, cavan player tries to run away and is tripped. Definite blsck card for galway player, no black card offense committed by cavan player but if the jostling was an issue it should have been a yellow.

Peno was not a peno and you are not allowed pull jerseys, even in salthill so that's where the frees came from.

Just on the black cards, McDaid got a fully deserved one, and it was a stupid one to get as Galway were on the attack on the other side of the pitch, instead it resulted in a throw ball that Cavan won and Galway a man down for nothing. At least some of the Cavan cards were taking an attacking player out of it. Duggan got a yellow but it wasn't a black card offence, could have been a red.
Cavan could have easily have got another black card for a deliberate trip in the first half but it would be foolish to point to the black cards as the decisive factor in this match, Galway didn't exactly rack up the scores during the time when Cavan were down by one or two men, while Cavan had the man advantage after McDaid got the line for 10 minutes at the start of the second half and did nothing much with it.
Aside from not moving into a dominant position with the man advantage at the start of the second half where Cavan really torpedoed themselves was in the first 25 minutes when they were the better team out there, they had numerous chances to push themselves even further than 3 ahead but hit some dodgy wides and also in the first half had a few very poor free attempts, some them should really have been gimmes at this level.

Galway were very slow out of the blocks and poor in general in the first half. Some of the inaccurate aimless ball played into the FF line was hard to fathom, even Galway's top players like Burke and Walsh weren't immune to some hospital passes.

McDaid really looked a lad who had been away from top level football for a while, one good run in the first half but ended up going straight into traffic, his black card was a poor one to get but there's a lesson there for all Galway players in terms of when to take a black card. Overall didn't really get into the game but he's a big unit now compared to his U21 days and his ability at that level was unquestionable.

Sean Andy was unusually tentative on a number of high balls that he was really the favourite for, didn't cleanly catch or break it out where he wanted it to go. Nothing major happened as a result but against better opposition it could be a problem, something to watch as the league moves forward particularly with the defensive mark in play.

QuoteBradshaw played well and the Galway turnaround began shortly after he was introduced which I don't think was a coincidence.
Flynn has turned into a much more consistent presence on the pitch compared to a few years ago, he turned it around last summer and I hope that he maintains that level into the rest of 2019. Cooke had a decent match without doing anything spectacular.

Heaney and Kelly played fairly well although Heaney should have buried his goal chance. Shane Walsh is going to get some more lads black carded with his direct running, if he's gone past it's either let him go or foul, there's no catching him.

I liked what I saw from Cunningham, deceptively quick and he got into some great positions. He fluffed a very easy point chance in the first half and really should have stuck his goal chance in the second but that bit more composure required will hopefully come with more game time moving forward. He's the type of player that Galway need to put the hand up this league campaign.

I assume that the Corofin lads will be gone for the duration of the club championship after yesterday but it was good to see them out there today, Silke will add a lot to that team this year, very steady.

Overall Galway were pedestrian enough even when they got going in the match but it was a game they ground out, once they got 3 points up I thought it was pretty much over as a contest. Cavan got the last 3 points and Galway didn't look great trying to see the match out in injury time truth be told. Galway tried a couple of killer passes to setup goals in the second half, none of which came off, given the way the match was playing out they would have been better off just sticking the ball over the bar.

McKiernan is clearly a big loss for Cavan at the moment but based on what I saw today Cavan will struggle to stay up unless they bring something very different or improve greatly in the subsequent league rounds.
It might be no different for ourselves in the long run but we've at least got the first must win game in the bag, it's a free shot match against the Dubs away next Saturday, anything out of it will be a very unexpected bonus.
Is there a more underrated player on that Galway team?
Honestly I don't get the flak that comes Brads way from a lot of people.
He's been a top quality player since he was a minor.
Was Wynne injured or was it a tactical switch?

Itchy

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 28, 2019, 12:13:25 AM
FT

Galway 0-13 Cavan 0-11

Bad first half.

Bradshaw played well and the Galway turnaround began shortly after he was introduced which I don't think was a coincidence.

I think that is fair. BTW - I am not saying the cards lost Cavan the game, they were not good enough on the day and I am worried about the very poor fitness levels they have.

Farrandeelin

Not at all. Sure he didn't make eye contact at all, a total non-issue.

According to those on stolensheep.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

TheGreatest

Well done to Monaghan, great win, decent folk up there too. Thought the crowd was a bit on small side.

In the long term, the defeat will benefit Dublin more than Monaghan, it will make them remember what it is like to lose and hopefully push on next week, long term its a long way off August!

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Farrandeelin on January 28, 2019, 09:36:17 AM

Not at all. Sure he didn't make eye contact at all, a total non-issue.

According to those on stolensheep.

According to 1 poster Farr. I don't think it was intentional but that doesn't excuse the fact that his hand was in that position. 1/2 game ban for me. There were incidents similar to this and no bans but that's no reason not to to this time.

macdanger2

Revised odds to win the league after week 1, Dublin probably the value bet now:

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 17, 2019, 12:01:33 PM
Dublin 8/15 11/10
Kerry 13/2 11/4
Tyrone 8/1 14/1
Mayo 9/1 6/1
Galway 10/1 8/1
Monaghan 16/1 7/1
Roscommon 40/1 150/1
Cavan 50/1 150/1

And to be relegated:

Quote from: Blowitupref on January 22, 2019, 12:59:47 PM
And the relegation odds

Roscommon 8/15 2/9
Cavan 4/7 2/9
Monaghan 11/4 15/2
Galway 7/2 7/1
Mayo 4/1 8/1
Kerry 6/1 20/1
Tyrone 11/2 3/1
Dublin 33/1 20/1

macdanger2

Was just looking at the winning margins there across the four leagues:

D1: 2.5 points
D2: 1.75 points
D3: 4 points
D4: 4 points (skewed a bit by a 13 point win for Leitrim)

It's a much better competition than the championship for the most part and should really be linked to the championship in some way

seafoid

The league is only a distraction. The big clash this year is Kerry vs  Dubs in the championship
Can Kerry stop the dubs becoming the greatest team ever ?
The biggest match since 1982 
Could they know each other out and them Monaghan sneak up and win Sam ?
That would also be acceptable.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/fault-lines-appear-for-kerry-in-a-kingdom-under-pressure-1.3769567

Fault lines appear for Kerry in a kingdom under pressure

Prospects of a Dublin five-in-a-row loom large over Kerry where winning is everything

Sat, Jan 26, 2019, 08:00

Keith Duggan

It's different for Kerry. The county moves further past the Ó Sé era of its history with a kaleidoscope of questions filling the sky. But in Kerry, all football questions boil down to one question: Can they win it this year?

The answer below in Kingdom country, thought if not voiced, is: we must.

Last September, in the days after Dublin sauntered through the closing minutes of their fourth successive All-Ireland win, Tomás Ó Sé put his thoughts together for his weekly column in the Irish Independent. His reflections were a de facto acknowledgement that the world in which he had grown up had vanished. Dublin had fallen into a 0-5 to 0-1 hole against Tyrone in that final. But in the end they had swatted the Ulster men away. Their wins over Mayo had been narrow, enthralling, incident laden. Here was proof of the new dispensation.

"I'd never go so far as to predict, six, seven, or eight All-Ireland finals in a row," Ó Sé wrote – a line that contained the inference that such a prospect is unthinkable rather than impossible – "but the fear is now, for anyone outside the capital at least, that there isn't a team emerging that can consistently beat them. They simply look unstoppable."

Few players-turned-analysts have been as consistently admiring of Dublin as Ó Sé: he likes how they play and how they keep their mouths shut. Under-statement is Ó Sé's calling card. If he wouldn't "predict" that Dublin can go eight years unbeaten, it doesn't mean he doesn't privately fear it. What if he nailed a truth that day? What if Dublin are simply unstoppable?

Dublin's transformation from 1970s nostalgia act to unprecedented juggernaut has forced Kerry football people – all Kerry people, in other words – to think differently about themselves. The old certainties have been stripped away with bewildering haste.

Mental barricades

Go back to that gripping day up in Clones last year if you want to feel, again, the moment when those mental barricades were stormed. Monaghan were hosting Kerry and loving every minute of it; champagne football, confidence to burn and a home crowd who had been waiting their entire lives for that hour. That Kerry salvaged a draw had as much to do with Monaghan blinking at the critical second.

Related GAA season springs into life as counties begin pursuit of perfect summer rhythms 
Expert view: National football and hurling league predictions 
Keith Duggan: Kilkenny and the case for the defence 

It proved to be Kieran Donaghy's last hour in a Kerry dressingroom. And it would mark the end of Eamonn Fitzmaurice's term in charge of Kerry football. After he stepped down, it became obvious that during last season, Fitzmaurice realised that he simply wouldn't be given sufficient time and breathing space to construct a team capable of matching Dublin.

If 2014's All-Ireland victory was one of the great Kerry guerrilla raids – it's very rare that you see a championship winning side materialising in such a short space of time – then the subsequent years were defined by the public anxiety over what Kerry could and should do about Dublin. Last summer, that nervousness was acute.

In Kerry, the pressure on managers to win has always been relentless and, at times, merciless. But not since the Mick O'Dwyer era has any Kerry manager been confronted with such an onslaught of excellence from Dublin. For three decades, the general rule was that if Kerry didn't win it, then some other county would. The joy was diffuse and, therefore, disappointment in Kerry was more palatable.

In the past four years, that has changed. Dublin aren't just building something in their dominance: they are also knocking down truths that were self-evident. Kerry's near-miss with the mythical five-in-a-row, denied by Séamus Darby's late All-Ireland final goal for Offaly in 1982, has always been a tolerable and even romantic failure because, until this year, only Kerry could come that close.
Kerry players celebrate after their All-Ireland minor football championship final win over Galway last year – their fifth title in a row at the grade. Photograph: Tommy Dickson/Inpho Kerry players celebrate after their All-Ireland minor football championship final win over Galway last year – their fifth title in a row at the grade. Photograph: Tommy Dickson/Inpho   
They were denied by what has become the most famous football goal of them all, along with a dash of hubris and interference from the gods. All of those comforts will be washed away if Dublin sweeps the board this year.

"For me, the only team with the potential to beat Dublin is Kerry," Ó Sé said in that same column. "The question is: will the Kerry team be ready next year? And are they going to get their houses in order and build a defensive unit that makes it hard to score?"

There, in a nutshell, was the prospect facing whoever the next Kerry manager would be. Peter Keane wasn't officially appointed until early October. His guidance of three Kerry minor teams to the All-Irelands titles of 2016, '17 and '18 completed a stunning five-in-a-row for Kerry at that grade. Now, his task is to somehow cobble together a team capable of preventing Dublin of doing just that at senior grade.

Tyrone, the All-Ireland finalists and recent McKenna Cup winners, visit Killarney on Sunday. You can bet they will be in a mood to test the credentials of the new Kerry set-up. David Clifford, the one dazzling light for Kerry last year, heads a substantial injury list and won't be seen until halfway through the league. David Moran, the senior partner on Kerry's unsettled midfield board, is away on honeymoon. Kieran Donaghy is playing basketball for good now. The Dr Crokes contingent are still in club competition.

Retaining values

At best, Keane will be fielding a deeply inexperienced senior side to face Tyrone. They meet Dublin in Tralee as soon as February 9th for what will be a hotly anticipated Saturday night match. Even then, they will be looking for a sign that Kerry will be up to the task in summer.

Advertisement

But in Kerry, it is always different. In a terrific interview with Radio Kerry before Christmas, the three-time All-Ireland winner Dara Ó Cinnéide identified the fine line between merely winning and retaining values.

"First and foremost, the game is more important than the players; the game is more important than the infrastructure around it. It is not attractive to people of an older generation specifically. It is not as attractive to me. I still love to watch the game. In Kerry we are playing some very nice football. Maybe not successful . . . I see Eamonn Fitzmaurice recently was asked to give advice to Peter Keane. His own word of advice was – 'win'."

That's the dilemma facing Kerry as the new season begins. They are second favourites for the All-Ireland, even if it is a distant second right now. They feel morally obliged to uphold the tradition of expansive, kick-passing, attacking football. But the need to win – the need to beat Dublin in a championship match –has become paramount. The five-in-a-row song is coming back to haunt them. Again.

Either way, 2019 will be a fault line year for Kerry football.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Manning18

FT

Galway 0-13 Cavan 0-11

Bad first half.

You can hardly have written that last line with a straight face given the penalty incident was a jersey pull for about 5 yards. The frees were all of the soft variety, all 50/50 decisions but every single one went against Galway and we were lucky ye missed a few of them. I'll take your word on the trip for black card 3 and 4, I didnt see a trip and it looked like just the usual wrestling you see by both to me

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: galwayman on January 28, 2019, 03:46:51 AM

He didn't look injured leaving the field and wasn't involved in any heavy collision prior to the switch, you'd have to assume it was a tactical move made by the sideline.

Quote from: Itchy on January 28, 2019, 09:00:30 AM
I think that is fair. BTW - I am not saying the cards lost Cavan the game, they were not good enough on the day and I am worried about the very poor fitness levels they have.

I definitely wasn't trying to insinuate that either to be honest, just pointing out for people not at the match that although the headlines will make the Cavan 12 men in the 2nd period look like the clear reason for the defeat, it was more down to Cavan not clinically building a bigger lead when they had multiple opportunities in the first half. Galway improved and played better after HT but for most of the initial period they were not really at the races, the likes of a Dublin or Monaghan would have put that game to bed before the half.

mouview

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 28, 2019, 10:36:33 AM

He didn't look injured leaving the field and wasn't involved in any heavy collision prior to the switch, you'd have to assume it was a tactical move made by the sideline.

I definitely wasn't trying to insinuate that either to be honest, just pointing out for people not at the match that although the headlines will make the Cavan 12 men in the 2nd period look like the clear reason for the defeat, it was more down to Cavan not clinically building a bigger lead when they had multiple opportunities in the first half. Galway improved and played better after HT but for most of the initial period they were not really at the races, the likes of a Dublin or Monaghan would have put that game to bed before the half.

It was much better overall than v Roscommon last week. Agree with your summation. Galway have the pace to create incisive moves that open up defences, and should look to play like this all the time, instead of going lateral so often. Cunningham did plenty to suggest he'll get a few more chances. Sean Kelly good again, Flynn in fairness is now starting to show what he can do. Cooke is better and more mobile than Duggan but his distribution is often poor.

A vital 2 points. I'd say KW did a bit of horse-trading with Corofin beforehand to get the 2 players released.

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on January 28, 2019, 11:37:42 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 28, 2019, 10:36:33 AM

It was much better overall than v Roscommon last week. Agree with your summation. Galway have the pace to create incisive moves that open up defences, and should look to play like this all the time, instead of going lateral so often. Cunningham did plenty to suggest he'll get a few more chances. Sean Kelly good again, Flynn in fairness is now starting to show what he can do. Cooke is better and more mobile than Duggan but his distribution is often poor.

A vital 2 points. I'd say KW did a bit of horse-trading with Corofin beforehand to get the 2 players released.

The footballers are exciting when the forwards start moving towards the goal with pace
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

TheClubman

You know with all the talk of rules the highlights and games I saw over the weekend confirmend what I've always thought. If we can't enforce the rules about the basics of the game then we've no business tinkering with other rules. Reape's goal for Mayo - took at least a dozen steps before playing the ball, turning and shooting. None of the commentators on Eir said a word during the game or during the analysis. Neither did Gooch or Mr Rules himself on RTE last night. Everyone just accepts it now.

The handpass is another one. I would say that 30-40% (and perhaps more) of handpasses are fouls. Lads are just throwing the ball.

Proper enforcement of these two rules would change the game for the better in my view.