RTE on Freeview

Started by Lazer, December 13, 2010, 11:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stpatsgael

I've just found a website that claims they can supply an Irish sky card to anywhere in Europe that will give you all the irish channels, the site is irishskycards.com. Does anyone know if this is legit/legal or if it would actually work? Apparently you dont need an irish address or bank account, they just send the card and box, arrange your subscriprion and you just need to have a dish fitted then activate the card! This seems a little too good to be true so was just wondering if anyone has any experience of this website. Mabe this is what the Irish pubs do to recieve the Irish channels?

omagh_gael

Wondering if someone could help me. Bought a new house at the end of last year and moved my sky tv  to this address. Have now decided to ditch the Sky as I have two kids under 18 months so never get a chance to watch much Tv  and I'm fed up paying the £30 direct debit each month.

Why queries are:

1. What are the best freeview boxes around that will receive RTE etc.

2. What aerial setup do I need? Are standard analogue aerials still required?

I have an LG lcd Tv that is HD freeview ready.

armaghniac

QuoteI have an LG lcd Tv that is HD freeview ready.

A Freeview HD set will receive RTÉ or a Freeview HD box will enable any other set.
Aerials haven't changed in general, bar a few areas with local relays, if you have a good analogue signal you should be good to go.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

omagh_gael

Quote from: armaghniac on September 21, 2012, 03:57:54 PM
QuoteI have an LG lcd Tv that is HD freeview ready.

A Freeview HD set will receive RTÉ or a Freeview HD box will enable any other set.
Aerials haven't changed in general, bar a few areas with local relays, if you have a good analogue signal you should be good to go.

This may sound extremely stupid but will you still need an aerial  for freeview even though there is no longer an analogue signal?

armaghniac

QuoteThis may sound extremely stupid but will you still need an aerial  for freeview even though there is no longer an analogue signal?

The signal hasn't changed, good or bad, only the encoding of the pictures. So you'll need the same aerial you'll always needed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

nrico2006

I bought a new TV a few months ago for the spare room.  It came with a Saorview transmitter built in, the model is an LG 32cs460.  hen it was originally set-up in February, I could get all my Sky channels from down stairs as well as the RTE, TV3 and TG4 channels.  However, since that I thought I had lost the Irish channels as they were appearing on my list of channels but nothing was coming up on screen (I since figured out that it was because for whatever way its set-up, I only get those 3 channels when my sky box is on downstairs.  I had then automatically tuned the channels back in, and I can access Sky and DTV but on my freeview list of channels the 3 Irish channels are no longer there and I cant figure out how to get them back.  Any ideas?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

T Fearon

If it has Saorview built in then you should be able to access all RTE Channels (and extras like RTE1+ etc) independently of the Skybox/dish. If you've tried retuning, to no avail, probably best at this stage to ring the supplier and/or tv manufacturer.