GAA World Coverage

Started by Hereiam, July 26, 2013, 02:09:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

Last week on the national radio stations they were giving out the results of the English Cricket team (who pushes the media to report this?). Got me thinking do any other countries around the world report GAA results.

rosnarun

All the private school educated boys in RTE just love their Cricket
same reason why Rugby is the most important sport in the world
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

armaghniac

Giving out the results of International games in Cricket is one thing, but why do they endlessly talk about internal soccer games in England?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Syferus

Because the LoI is a bit shite, honestly.

J OGorman

its the reporting on every 2 bit golfing tournament that takes up half the sports news. 'and to golf, last night, local 32 handicapper and constant slicer, Seamy Hendrix carded a 2 over par in The Football Special Open 3 ball at Ramelton'...etc

Hereiam

I can understand the golf been reported on as there are Irish men taking part in most tournaments. Has the beeb CNN ABC etc ever reported on an AI final during their news, if not why not.

johnneycool

Quote from: Hereiam on July 26, 2013, 02:59:17 PM
I can understand the golf been reported on as there are Irish men taking part in most tournaments. Has the beeb CNN ABC etc ever reported on an AI final during their news, if not why not.

Is there not a few paddies on the Engerland cricket team now?

Eamonnca1

English Premiership has built up a worldwide audience, I suppose the presence of foreign nationals on the teams helps that.

Celtic and Rangers have so many supporters in Ireland I wouldn't be surprised if there's more of them in Ireland than in Scotland.

Man U draws most of its support from outside the city and from around the world, they say there's more Man City supporters in Manchester than United fans, and they're probably right.

It's usually international competitions that attract attention that spans international borders,  but Intra-national competitions can attract outside interest too if they get big enough, competitive enough, and have foreign players on its teams.  The GAA is just not there yet.

No Soloing

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on July 26, 2013, 06:20:13 PM

Man U draws most of its support from outside the city and from around the world, they say there's more Man City supporters in Manchester than United fans, and they're probably right.

AFAIK Old Trafford isnt even in Manchester itself - it is in the City of Salford - so there probably are more City fans in Manc. But if you look beyond such peculiarities and take it to be Greater Manchester then from my experience of living there, there would be more Utd fans. Thats not to say there are millions of 'fans' outside Manchester

Qwerty28

If there was were 2 sporting events in Western Europe with 82,000 people attending I think a lot of Irish sports fans would know what was taking place and want to know the score, yet do either All Ireland finals even get their results published in the scoreboard section of papers, esp the English ones, when everything to from local cricket to greyhound results will get a mention?

No mention of London on Sky sports news last weekend either!

Eamonnca1

It's actually in Trafford Metropolitan Borough, not Salford. Part of the same urban area though. You have to go as far as Stockport before people stop considering themselves Mancunian.