Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHEEDY

Quote from: clowry13 on June 05, 2016, 10:17:52 PM
Marty Clarke said on BBC at half time that he would have at least appreciated a phone call from burns to get asked onto the county panel. Why has this not happened. So many better players around the county than what was on display today.
apart from Clarke and Gordon who are the 'many better players around the county'???
nil satis nisi optimum

Centre 3/4

Awk if you're seriously saying that's the best we have you are completely clueless, there are far better players several of which have been mentioned here already who would make a big difference to that down team

Smurfy123

Conor Laverty
Ryan Boyle
Caolan Mooney
Shane Mcnamee
Daryl Brannigan
Paul Devlin

whitegoodman

Quote from: SHEEDY on June 05, 2016, 10:39:47 PM
Quote from: clowry13 on June 05, 2016, 10:17:52 PM
Marty Clarke said on BBC at half time that he would have at least appreciated a phone call from burns to get asked onto the county panel. Why has this not happened. So many better players around the county than what was on display today.
apart from Clarke and Gordon who are the 'many better players around the county'???

Clarke
Garvey
2 Brannigans from Kilcoo
Gordon
Eamon Toner

How many of them have been asked and turned it down I don't know but I know at least two were not asked.

Potential down team today from players currently playing club football in down if no one was injured

Cunningham
Brannigan
McGovern
O Hagen
Garvey
Turley
McArdle
Gordon
McKernan
R Johnston
Clarke
Toner
J Johnston
O Hare
Poland

May not have won today but would have put on a better show than that shambles.  Oh and with wee James back in charge too as our current management team are out of their depth, poor panel of players or not.

one day

Always look on the bright side of life

Centre 3/4

Mooney, Johnstons, branagans, Laverty, mcparland, Clarke, Gordon, Garvey, Devlin, benny mccardle , mcconville all capable of making a difference compared to some of shocking performances we had today

SHEEDY

Some of the posters on here show what is wrong with down. People think we have this magical group of players that weren't playing today and if they did play everything would be OK. Someone mentioned Ryan Boyle, Shane McNamee, eamonn toner, the brannigans, these lads are good players in poor down football leagues. No down club team has won a senior Ulster championship since burren in the 1980's. Down football is in a serious bad state.

The 2 Johnstons and Micky cunningham are injured and could make no difference today. Clarke and Gordon could have but the others mentioned are no better than what we already have. The sooner people realise down don't have the players then we might finally must some plan together at underage. The county board is a mess and have seriously neglected any sort of structure for our youth.
nil satis nisi optimum

whitegoodman

Quote from: SHEEDY on June 05, 2016, 11:07:45 PM
Some of the posters on here show what is wrong with down. People think we have this magical group of players that weren't playing today and if they did play everything would be OK. Someone mentioned Ryan Boyle, Shane McNamee, eamonn toner, the brannigans, these lads are good players in poor down football leagues. No down club team has won a senior Ulster championship since burren in the 1980's. Down football is in a serious bad state.

The 2 Johnstons and Micky cunningham are injured and could make no difference today. Clarke and Gordon could have but the others mentioned are no better than what we already have. The sooner people realise down don't have the players then we might finally must some plan together at underage. The county board is a mess and have seriously neglected any sort of structure for our youth.

All ya ask for is that the best players in the county are at least asked.  FFS there was a lad came on today who didn't even look like a footballer and was completely lost from the minute he came on.  Surely these things can be clearly seen on the training field as they are clear during the match.

Centre 3/4

There was a lad playing in the half forward line looked just as lost

Smurfy123

Surely we deserve a better management set up
Threw together from what I can gather
Whitegoodman 100% correct
Who can we get in the qualifiers?

snoopdog

whitegoodman

Would Antim have been beaten by 18 points today? I don't think they would have which would make us the worst team in Ulster.

There is a lot of good points on here about underage and structure and changes at county board level which is fair enough but if you take today alone, it was just not acceptable from players or management.

There was no leadership on or off the field, there was no fight, they seemed to just give up and the subs were strange bordering on ridiculous.  I don't think the management have picked the best players in the county and I don't think the players picked respect the management. We don't have the best players at the minute but surely we can muster a team together that doesn't get tanked by 18 points.  This was worse than Sligo and it was a low point!!

Smurfy123

2 players came on today that had not the basic skills of a club player yet they can make the county squad
Now if the management can't see this they should not be there

ardtole

My memory might be hazy but i think we only scored 4 pts that night against sligo and only one from play.

whitegoodman

They only scored 1-7, a 6 point defeat not 18....