Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TyroneClubs

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 09, 2022, 01:25:03 PM
Quote from: consigliere on August 09, 2022, 11:19:18 AMSlippery slope. Over time this will give soccer clubs all the power, the GAA clubs need to make a firm stance early.

If there's a slippery slope argument, then it was locally lost long ago. There's long been a due deference within GAA circles to get games that have been fixed changed to accommodate various matters beyond the general control of a club involved. OTOH in Junior soccer (Fermanagh & Western League, anyway) there is a much more rigid culture in sticking to fixture lists - it's rare for a club to get a fixture changed unless it is (a) made well in advance i.e. several weeks, or (b) due to weather conditions or bereavement postponing a game. Outside of that it's pretty much the case that your league game is down for 2.00 or 2.30 on a Saturday afternoon and if you can't gather up 11 players for it, then tough. You could argue that the GAA in Tyrone should adopt a similar stance, but it's highly unlikely to benefit them in the long run especially if you look at how Junior soccer clubs often fair themselves when they're often missing out on players at the beginning and end of their season because several of them give preference to Gaelic football (the defunct Ballygawley FC springs to mind). Also, compared to Gaelic football which is a summer sport and thus can have games usually easily enough moved to an alternative evening with sufficient daylight available, local junior soccer rarely has much headway to getting games played outside of Saturday mornings or afternoons on grounds that rarely have playable floodlights and where many are also council owned.

Also it's not just players involved with soccer that can throw a spanner into the works. Players from my own club past & present have also been involved in rugby, golf, snooker and even badminton etc. which have interfered with gathering players up for playing games or training.

Friday night ACFL games have proved popular in the county over the past three seasons but IMO if it's to continue then the reserve leagues/games will ultimately have to be split off to be played at another time, as is the case in the majority of counties in Ulster. If we were to play the remaining ACFL games as standalone fixtures without a corresponding reserve tie beforehand, we could easily keep them to running on Friday evenings until the end of the league at the start of September with throw-in's between 7.00-7.30.

Just on your final point re reserves fixtures. Only 3 games left for reserves in D1&2, no reason their league didn't start a month earlier and finish it off, thus allowing the Fridays as you mentioned

Throw It Up Ref

Quote from: consigliere on August 09, 2022, 11:19:18 AM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 08, 2022, 10:53:45 PM
Quote from: consigliere on August 08, 2022, 03:50:31 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 07, 2022, 10:31:44 AM
Four Sundays in the year isn't too much to ask. Fridays are good at the start but with light fading becomes a rushing match to fit them in. I'd say Sundays suit more people than Saturdays. Lot of boys work on Saturday evenings and there's a lot (particularly reserves) who play soccer on a Saturday.

The GAA should not be accomodating soccer when scheduling games.

All well in theory, but if you put players into a position where they have to choose between the two and in the end a significant amount decide to go with playing soccer over Gaelic football then it's likely some teams will fail to field, depriving game time not only of their own players that are willing to play but also their opponents. Communication between all involved is needed.

Slippery slope. Over time this will give soccer clubs all the power, the GAA clubs need to make a firm stance early.

What are you taking a stance against? Young athletes that want to play multiple sports?

sam03/05

Is there league play offs this year to win Div1
Or is it just who finished top

Under Lights

Quote from: sam03/05 on August 10, 2022, 08:00:39 AM
Is there league play offs this year to win Div1
Or is it just who finished top

League playoffs this year.

Next year it is changed to no playoffs for winners or relegation.

In hiding

Is it 2 relegated or possibly 3 ?

RedHand88

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 24, 2022, 02:28:05 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on July 24, 2022, 02:19:07 PM
i dont think the gaa should bow down to relgious services (assuming it was a religious wedding) would they call matches off if  a player wanted a match off because of ramadan i know its a hypothetical

Where would it end? What about a christening? An 18th birthday party?
A funeral I can understand because it's a mark of respect but a wedding? Not for me.
Heard there is a history with the 2 clubs so maybe that has clouded his judgement when posting it.
Also heard Pomeroy have applied to get their match with Gortin moved now after hearing about this. Hugh Pat getting married that weekend. Be interesting to see what Gortin do...

Update... to nobody's suprise they have refused the request. Hypocrites.

consigliere

Clonoe v Coalisland this Sunday.

This game is MASSIVE for Clonoe.

Under Lights

Under Lights

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 10, 2022, 08:15:23 AM
i dont think the gaa should bow down to relgious services (assuming it was a religious wedding) would they call matches off if  a player wanted a match off because of ramadan i know its a hypothetical

A funeral I can understand because it's a mark of respect but a wedding? Not for me.
Heard there is a history with the 2 clubs so maybe that has clouded his judgement when posting it.
Also heard Pomeroy have applied to get their match with Gortin moved now after hearing about this. Hugh Pat getting married that weekend. Be interesting to see what Gortin do...

Facebook rant looks very silly now.

Eire90

clarshack

Quote from: Under Lights on August 10, 2022, 09:52:44 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 10, 2022, 08:15:23 AM

Facebook rant looks very silly now.

very embarrasing to call people scum and then go and do the same thing.

GaelTheGael

Quote from: Under Lights on August 10, 2022, 09:52:05 AM
Quote from: In hiding on August 10, 2022, 08:14:08 AM
Is it 2 relegated or possibly 3 ?

That's correct/
Team who finishes bottom go straight down. Second and third bottom then play off with the third bottom having home advantage and loser going down. This leaves the third bottom team to play the team coming from the division below in a winner goes up game at a neutral venue.

Jim Bob

Quote from: consigliere on August 10, 2022, 09:23:22 AM
Clonoe v Coalisland this Sunday.

This game is MASSIVE for Clonoe.

McKernan and Devlin back from Amerikay

TyroneClubs

Quote from: Eire90 on August 10, 2022, 10:14:25 AM
not a fan if no playoffs

This year is strange, league will be done on 4th September, and championship will be done before play offs begin. Understandable this has to be done incase a team in play off spots wins championship etc, but a team could go out in first round of championship (scheduled for 15th-19th September) and then play offs won't start until after championship final so I reckon first round of play off will be weekend of 22nd October. A very long 5 week wait. Again, I understand and fully agree with league being over before championship but think it is a good idea to get rid of play offs if the ambition is to finish league every year before championship begins.

clarshack

Quote from: TyroneClubs on August 10, 2022, 11:29:51 AM
Quote from: Eire90 on August 10, 2022, 10:14:25 AM
not a fan if no playoffs

This year is strange, league will be done on 4th September, and championship will be done before play offs begin. Understandable this has to be done incase a team in play off spots wins championship etc, but a team could go out in first round of championship (scheduled for 15th-19th September) and then play offs won't start until after championship final so I reckon first round of play off will be weekend of 22nd October. A very long 5 week wait. Again, I understand and fully agree with league being over before championship but think it is a good idea to get rid of play offs if the ambition is to finish league every year before championship begins.

5 weeks is a long time to be waiting around therefore it makes sense to have the leagues completely wrapped up. it just means that there will be more dead rubbers towards the end of the league season.