The Whiskey Thread

Started by gallsman, December 08, 2014, 03:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Given there's a beer thread, thought I'd try and get the ball rolling on this one after the flurry of whiskey posts a few days ago. Any whiskey drinkers here?

Flying through Duty Free today so picked up the following:

Green Spot - a favourite, that is great value in Duty Free.

Writer's Tears - another favourite.

The Irishman - came highly recommended. Got it for €19!

Town Branch - I bought this as a present on Saturday in the CWS for €60. Coming through duty free today, it comes in a presentation case with two glasses for €45  :-[ . Phoned the CWS and they said they'll happily let me exchange. Hopefully they'll have some Yamazaki in by the time I get back!

Curiously, and I was a bit upset at this, Powers John's Lane was one price for all destinations. Any idea why this might be?!

blewuporstuffed

Looking to geta  bottle of Green spot for someone for christmas, is it much cheaper through the duty free?
it seems to be around 40 quid everywhere ive seen it.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

5 Sams

Excuse my ignorance lads but I've heard loads of people speak highly of green spot. Who makes it? My whiskey experience consists of the odd Jameson or Gentleman Jack at Chrimbo.
The Aristocrat Years

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: 5 Sams on December 08, 2014, 03:46:54 PM
Excuse my ignorance lads but I've heard loads of people speak highly of green spot. Who makes it? My whiskey experience consists of the odd Jameson or Gentleman Jack at Chrimbo.
its made in the Middleton distillery AFAIK, the same place they make Jameson
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

gallsman

36 euro in duty free. Actual duty free as opposed to just airport shopping. Retail price on the high Street in the south these days is just shy of 60.

5Sams, Green Spot is whiskey from the midleton distillery but is handled and matured in their own casks, some of which are wine casks by Mitchell & Son. It's delicious.

tyroneman

Is there a real noticeable difference between green spot and yellow spot whiskey?? I have only tried green (which was very nice)??

CD

Quote from: tyroneman on December 08, 2014, 07:34:25 PM
Is there a real noticeable difference between green spot and yellow spot whiskey?? I have only tried green (which was very nice)??
About £30 a bottle! Never had yellow spot but the green is lovely! Got a bottle as a gift two years ago and savoured every drop! This chat has put me in the notion. Half way through a bottle of powers but think I'll treat myself to something nice for Christmas  ;)
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Tony Baloney

No fan of the stuff but I had a swig of a Japanese whisky (Yamazaki) at a wedding a couple of weeks ago and it was incredibly smooth.

gallsman

Nothing to justify the price difference.

ONeill

This is my tipple: http://www.islaywhiskysociety.com

Ardbeg probably the stand out. Makes ye wince.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

gallsman

Quote from: gallsman on December 08, 2014, 11:18:40 PM

Nothing to justify the price difference.
Quote from: ONeill on December 08, 2014, 11:36:30 PM

I have the Ardbeg 10. Smoky to say the least.

aontroim abu

was thinking of getting her dad a bottle for Christmas - best place in Belfast anyone??

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: aontroim abu on December 09, 2014, 03:28:49 PM
was thinking of getting her dad a bottle for Christmas - best place in Belfast anyone??
The vineyard on the ormeau road has a decent selection

deiseach

The thread is about whiskEy ;)

How long would ye lads buying the likes of Green Spot make it last? Once a bottle is open in our house, it will be gone within the fortnight. Are we alcoholics?

muppet

Quote from: deiseach on December 09, 2014, 04:16:58 PM

The thread is about whiskEy ;)

How long would ye lads buying the likes of Green Spot make it last? Once a bottle is open in our house, it will be gone within the fortnight. Are we alcoholics?

A whole fortnight! Are you trying to sniff it out?
MWWSI 2017