Meath vs Dublin - Leinster final - the day before the fair.

Started by thejuice, June 09, 2019, 11:42:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 25, 2019, 07:24:46 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 25, 2019, 06:56:17 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 25, 2019, 05:39:07 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on June 25, 2019, 10:57:21 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 25, 2019, 12:09:37 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 24, 2019, 11:31:36 PM
Some amount of Dub bashing all over the press since yesterday, it's become a bit embarrassing to be honest and I say that as a non Dub. It's aimed at taking away from what is an exceptional group of players who come along once in a lifetime. The Dubs will always be competitive due to sheer numbers alone and I think most people would think it only right that money be spread equitably across all counties but the timing of the drip drip media articles in a season when they are going for 5 in a row is no coincidence. Media hacks and ex players playing the populist card.

To be fair Dublin players and fans have been the pawns in all of this! Not that they are complaining. Why would they? What annoys most is their total denial that funds have helped them prosper. And there is a must try harder for the rest of us. But don't expect financial help.

Not at all, Money is a key component but its mutiple factors that contribute to the success of this team and stated above and forever and ever, the grant money recieved, which is peoples main argument, none of the current squad benefited from that money.

Dublin have advantages absolutley, some have always been there, some are new.

Also, Gents, you cant be taking KerryforSam for real, he/she is on the wind up, best ignored.

I have him/her on ignore.

How do you do that

Profile, account settings. There's an option to ignore posters if you want.

Thanks for that I did the same.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

kerryforsam19

Quote from: joemamas on June 25, 2019, 07:30:29 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 25, 2019, 07:24:46 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on June 25, 2019, 06:56:17 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 25, 2019, 05:39:07 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on June 25, 2019, 10:57:21 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 25, 2019, 12:09:37 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 24, 2019, 11:31:36 PM
Some amount of Dub bashing all over the press since yesterday, it's become a bit embarrassing to be honest and I say that as a non Dub. It's aimed at taking away from what is an exceptional group of players who come along once in a lifetime. The Dubs will always be competitive due to sheer numbers alone and I think most people would think it only right that money be spread equitably across all counties but the timing of the drip drip media articles in a season when they are going for 5 in a row is no coincidence. Media hacks and ex players playing the populist card.

To be fair Dublin players and fans have been the pawns in all of this! Not that they are complaining. Why would they? What annoys most is their total denial that funds have helped them prosper. And there is a must try harder for the rest of us. But don't expect financial help.

Not at all, Money is a key component but its mutiple factors that contribute to the success of this team and stated above and forever and ever, the grant money recieved, which is peoples main argument, none of the current squad benefited from that money.

Dublin have advantages absolutley, some have always been there, some are new.

Also, Gents, you cant be taking KerryforSam for real, he/she is on the wind up, best ignored.

I have him/her on ignore.

How do you do that

Profile, account settings. There's an option to ignore posters if you want.

Thanks for that I did the same.

fair play

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Dinny Breen

Andy McEntee, I thought he came across poorly on the TV after the game but he lost the plot completely with the local press

QuoteThe Meath Chronicle is asking Meath senior football manager Andy McEntee to apologise after threatening to "take the f**king head off" one of its sports reporters in the wake of Meath's dispiriting 1-17 - 0-4 defeat to Dublin last Sunday.
Andy McEntee clashed with Jimmy Geoghegan as he left the post-match press conference when Jimmy enquired if the Meath manager would be releasing players to line out in the county hurling championships this weekend. "Are you f**king mad? What sort of f**king question is that to ask me?" raged McEntee before moving off to do a TV interview. A legitimate one given that seven or eight players could be affected?

Given the nature of Meath's loss that saw Dublin ease to their ninth consecutive Leinster title, one could maybe have excused McEntee. That's if it had been left at that.

Shaken, but undeterred, our reporter made his way to the team bus to catch players for post-match quotes. Ben Brennan and Graham Reilly were, as usual, obliging and offered their insights into what went wrong for the Royals and their plans for recovery. Three other journalists were also present.

It was at this point McEntee came on the scene and confronted our reporter for the second time abruptly ending the interviews.
"I'll take the f**king head off you if I see you near the f**king dressing room again," he shouted at Geoghegan.

This was an extraordinary attack on one Meath's most respected writers and carried out in full view of the Meath squad sitting on the team bus.
"I couldn't believe it was happening. I could understand him being annoyed about the question but it was a valid question as the issue of releasing players has come up not just this year but in previous years," said Geoghegan. "But it was the second confrontation that really shocked me. He accused me of asking him a 'leading question' but it was never meant to be that."

In the aftermath of this incident, which was recorded on tape, an email was sent to both Meath PRO Ciaran Flynn and Secretary Mairead Delaney outlining the Chronicle's unhappiness at the treatment of its reporter at the hands of the manager.

The response, on Monday evening, bizarrely focused on the initial question that ignited McEntee's fury rather than the nature of the former Ballyboden manager's second, and far more serious verbal attack. This is that response in full.

"Coiste na Mí are aware of an incident involving the Meath Senior Football Manager and a reporter from the Meath Chronicle.

Meath manager Andy McEntee

"Our policy on the question asked by your reporter is, as always, in line with T.O 6.22 and our own Rialachain regarding same.

"All our Squad Managers and CCC Coiste na Mí respect that rule and indeed that fact is included in the Charter agreed with all Managers and GPA Representatives at the start of every year.

"On cross codes in the GAA individual players are encouraged to make their own decisions and "hearsay" talk of things being different is just that.

"Coiste na Mí will investigate internally the alleged comments. We trust that the Meath Chronicle will accept that in this delicate situation it is in both our interests to move forward and continue the excellent relationship with the Meath Chronicle that has remained for generations. We would hope to continue that relationship in a similar vein in the future."

Treating a senior reporter in the manner which the Meath senior football manager did last Sunday was unacceptable and two questions were put to Coiste na Mi on Monday evening. Has this matter been brought to the attention of Mr McEntee and will he apologise formally to our reporter who was carrying out his duties for the Meath Chronicle as he has done in a professional manner since 2002.
At time of going to press, no reply had been received.
#newbridgeornowhere

Hound

Before the match McEntee was very adamant that "this match won't define our season". I think he was expecting to lose something like 20 points to 10, shake hands, walk away and then get on with the real focus of R4.

But he was very shook after the match. I'd guess down to the fact that with Dublin being below par, they actually competed really well for 50 minutes, won their fair share of possession, but a return of 4 scores from 25 scoring chances was just horrendous. I'd say beyond his wildest nightmare.

So all he needed was some smart ass reporter asking him about hurling in the post match press conference. The fact that the reporter deemed it even a question worth chancing would indicate that McEntee is a lot more forthcoming regarding small ball activities than other managers. Imagine asking Jim Gavin if Con O'Callaghan is allowed play a hurling game for Cuala a week before the All Ireland quarter-final! Or Harte or Bonner or anyone else similar questions.

I'd say the reporter knew full well the reaction he would get. And the county board's half-assed explanation is exactly the response deserved. 

sid waddell

Andy McEntee seems to be a bit of a Neil Warnock type character.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Hound on June 26, 2019, 09:42:16 AM
Before the match McEntee was very adamant that "this match won't define our season". I think he was expecting to lose something like 20 points to 10, shake hands, walk away and then get on with the real focus of R4.

But he was very shook after the match. I'd guess down to the fact that with Dublin being below par, they actually competed really well for 50 minutes, won their fair share of possession, but a return of 4 scores from 25 scoring chances was just horrendous. I'd say beyond his wildest nightmare.

So all he needed was some smart ass reporter asking him about hurling in the post match press conference. The fact that the reporter deemed it even a question worth chancing would indicate that McEntee is a lot more forthcoming regarding small ball activities than other managers. Imagine asking Jim Gavin if Con O'Callaghan is allowed play a hurling game for Cuala a week before the All Ireland quarter-final! Or Harte or Bonner or anyone else similar questions.

I'd say the reporter knew full well the reaction he would get. And the county board's half-assed explanation is exactly the response deserved.

He's the leader, he didn't lead, he made an idiot of himself. Jim Gavin would never lose his composure like that.
#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/se%C3%A1n-moran-dublin-have-always-had-advantages-so-what-s-new-1.3937413

"From the GAA's perspective there is no ambivalence about the impact of the development work in Dublin. The games are holding their own in the most competitive environment in the country and its main urban area and year after year Croke Park has made it clear that they have no wish to make radical alterations to the Dublin project but instead to try to roll it out elsewhere.

The impact of this on the senior inter-county championship is, bluntly, a secondary consideration unless there is a revenue meltdown and although last year's football gates were down, they were offset by the rise in hurling figures"
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hound

Quote from: seafoid on June 26, 2019, 11:31:01 AM

The impact of this on the senior inter-county championship is, bluntly, a secondary consideration unless there is a revenue meltdown and although last year's football gates were down, they were offset by the rise in hurling figures"

Quote from: Rossfan on June 26, 2019, 11:39:04 AM
So it's fck the rest of us...... >:(

I know nobody has any interest in the this, but I'll keep saying it.

To date, the Games Development Funding has had no affect on Dublin winning 6 All Irelands and 14 out of 15 Leinsters. All the players involved were already in the system and beyond the reach of GPOs and the development funds.

Dublin dominating Leinster isn't unique. There have been other cycles when rest of Leinster weren't great. Dublin won 9 out of 12 Leinsters in the 70s and 80s, when Heffo got them fit and organised. And that might have been 12 out of 12 but for Eugene McGee  ;)
I genuinely think Kildare especially will be challenging Dublin soon (they should very soon have a strong, deep panel. They need one or two players to also become the best in the country in their position. )

If the games development funds are to have any impact on the Dublin senior intercounty team, it'll be future teams. So beware!
(Although whether there'll be that many talented lads who only went to the GAA because of the GPO, remains to be seen).

There are plenty of real advantages we do actually have, some of which might even be unfair, that should be the focus. (There should should be some move to disburse sponsorship funds more equitably, in a way which still encourages Dublin to go out and find sponsorship. If the provincial winners who are in Dublin's Super 8 group would prefer to play their Super 8 game in a neutral province rather than Croke Park, they should be given that option).

As for rolling out GPOs outside Dublin, GPOs will only make a real difference outside Dublin in places where they are losing youngsters to other sports, or places where they don't have experienced coaches/ex-players to give parents who are taking on teams some pointers in how to teach kids the basics. The "soccer towns" are the ones which should be a benefit if you got a good GPO making a sustained effort.

But really county boards should be running "Coach the coach" type courses anyway, then that alone will cover off a big chunk of what needs to be done (if the bulk of the sporting inclined kids in the town already go up to the GAA club).

thejuice

2010's : "Dublin's dominance is ruining the game"
2000's : "Ulster football is ruining the game"
1990's : "Meath have single handidly saved football"
1970's & 1980's : "Kerry's dominance is ruining football"

It seems in the GAA we need something every decade to rail against and it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel but all things come to an end.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

thebuzz

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 26, 2019, 10:16:39 AM
Quote from: Hound on June 26, 2019, 09:42:16 AM

He's the leader, he didn't lead, he made an idiot of himself. Jim Gavin would never lose his composure like that.

Jim Gavin will never be in a similar losing position for us to know how he would conduct himself  :) :)

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Hound on June 26, 2019, 01:00:26 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 26, 2019, 11:31:01 AM

Quote from: Rossfan on June 26, 2019, 11:39:04 AM
So it's fck the rest of us...... >:(

I know nobody has any interest in the this, but I'll keep saying it.

To date, the Games Development Funding has had no affect on Dublin winning 6 All Irelands and 14 out of 15 Leinsters. All the players involved were already in the system and beyond the reach of GPOs and the development funds.

Dublin dominating Leinster isn't unique. There have been other cycles when rest of Leinster weren't great. Dublin won 9 out of 12 Leinsters in the 70s and 80s, when Heffo got them fit and organised. And that might have been 12 out of 12 but for Eugene McGee  ;)
I genuinely think Kildare especially will be challenging Dublin soon (they should very soon have a strong, deep panel. They need one or two players to also become the best in the country in their position. )

If the games development funds are to have any impact on the Dublin senior intercounty team, it'll be future teams. So beware!
(Although whether there'll be that many talented lads who only went to the GAA because of the GPO, remains to be seen).

There are plenty of real advantages we do actually have, some of which might even be unfair, that should be the focus. (There should should be some move to disburse sponsorship funds more equitably, in a way which still encourages Dublin to go out and find sponsorship. If the provincial winners who are in Dublin's Super 8 group would prefer to play their Super 8 game in a neutral province rather than Croke Park, they should be given that option).

As for rolling out GPOs outside Dublin, GPOs will only make a real difference outside Dublin in places where they are losing youngsters to other sports, or places where they don't have experienced coaches/ex-players to give parents who are taking on teams some pointers in how to teach kids the basics. The "soccer towns" are the ones which should be a benefit if you got a good GPO making a sustained effort.

But really county boards should be running "Coach the coach" type courses anyway, then that alone will cover off a big chunk of what needs to be done (if the bulk of the sporting inclined kids in the town already go up to the GAA club).

The funding came into place in 2005 and roughly €1m a year since.

Primary school ages 2005  1st Class age 7 to 6th class age 12
Those kids ages now 21 - 26

Yep no affect at all, move along folks nothing to see here...just coincidence the ladies picked up a senior AI as well.
#newbridgeornowhere