Hurling Championship 2017

Started by seafoid, May 19, 2017, 10:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Limerick could all too easily beaten KK on Saturday evening IF some of their players had taken the right options at the right times. Sloppy passes when trying to close the gap meant lost momentum and allowed a lackluster Kilkenny to keep popping over the points.
Mick Fennelly proved to be the difference.

Onwards to Waterford who've also to find themselves this summer. 
Tipp to ease up another gear against the Dubs.

Are both these games in Cork?

AZOffaly

I'd imagine Tipp and Dublin will be in Portlaoise or maybe in Nowlan Park. Kilkenny and Waterford will probably be Thurles or Wexford.

Kilkevan

Quote from: johnneycool on July 03, 2017, 09:06:16 AM
Limerick could all too easily beaten KK on Saturday evening IF some of their players had taken the right options at the right times. Sloppy passes when trying to close the gap meant lost momentum and allowed a lackluster Kilkenny to keep popping over the points.

I heard they're in Thurles.

Strange how Kilkenny always get the trickier draws in qualifiers. Tipperary and Waterford in 2013, Limerick and Waterford this year. Tipp got the handy route.

tippabu

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 03, 2017, 09:17:36 AM

Strange how Kilkenny always get the trickier draws in qualifiers. Tipperary and Waterford in 2013, Limerick and Waterford this year. Tipp got the handy route.

Yep croke park are pushing hard to have a double header in thurles...no chance of getting to both football and hurling games. Hopefully both games will be on tv.  Couldnt have asked for a better draw

Kilkevan

Quote from: tippabu on July 03, 2017, 09:21:34 AM

Yep croke park are pushing hard to have a double header in thurles...no chance of getting to both football and hurling games. Hopefully both games will be on tv.  Couldnt have asked for a better draw

I heard that the only way they wouldn't be in Thurles was if Tipp drew Waterford. The GAA love Semple Stadium for some reason, maybe the geography. Personally I think it's a dung heap of a venue with the only thing going for it being its size.

tippabu

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 03, 2017, 09:26:45 AM

I heard that the only way they wouldn't be in Thurles was if Tipp drew Waterford. The GAA love Semple Stadium for some reason, maybe the geography. Personally I think it's a dung heap of a venue with the only thing going for it being its size.

The pitch isnt to worse!! and square is ideal for big games. Would be some irony if dublin came out giving out about tipp having home advantage given their footballers situation!! I wont get to the hurling, personally dont mind where its played, portlaoise would be the sensible option

Kilkevan

Quote from: tippabu on July 03, 2017, 09:33:01 AM
Quote from: Kilkevan on July 03, 2017, 09:26:45 AM

The pitch isnt to worse!! and square is ideal for big games. Would be some irony if dublin came out giving out about tipp having home advantage given their footballers situation!! I wont get to the hurling, personally dont mind where its played, portlaoise would be the sensible option

In terms of size, there's a reasonable chance Portlaoise wouldn't be big enough. I get the feeling there's a vibe in Kilkenny that the current team is finished and people are going to travel to support it. Waterford will probably come in numbers too because this is the best chance they've had in a long time of beating Kilkenny in the championship. Even if ten thousand travelled from both those counties it would be a squeeze to get the Dublin and Tipperary supporters into O'Moore Park.

tippabu

kilkenny waterford is def on in thurles, tipp dublin likely yo be there from whats being said, portlaoise would be the other option for tipp dublin stand alone game

Kilkevan

Quote from: tippabu on July 03, 2017, 09:46:37 AM
kilkenny waterford is def on in thurles, tipp dublin likely yo be there from whats being said, portlaoise would be the other option for tipp dublin stand alone game

The GAA want, and have had for the past few seasons, double headers for the second round of the qualifiers. The only problem is Tipp are in them but, as you said, if Dublin start moaning about home advantage it's a pure cheek. Much as I'd like to see them beat ye, and holding it in Semple Stadium negates whatever possibility of that there is, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

tippabu

Quote from: Kilkevan on July 03, 2017, 09:50:40 AM
Quote from: tippabu on July 03, 2017, 09:46:37 AM

The GAA want, and have had for the past few seasons, double headers for the second round of the qualifiers. The only problem is Tipp are in them but, as you said, if Dublin start moaning about home advantage it's a pure cheek. Much as I'd like to see them beat ye, and holding it in Semple Stadium negates whatever possibility of that there is, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

We played them in a hurling 1/4 final in thurles in 2014

AZOffaly

I love Thurles for big hurling matches. The pitch is beautiful and the capacity is good. They could do with renovating the stands alright, so if the GAA love it so much maybe they'll take that as their next capital project. For some reason they seem to want about 25 40,000 capacity stadiums in Munster alone.

tippabu

Another reason for double header in thurles, investment was made to use hawkeye there, in the end didnt make much difference but you see the wrong call from the umpire at the weekend in galway wexford that was overturned, in a knockout game could be crucial

clonadmad

Confirmed double header Saturday evening in Thurles. Tipp v Dublin at 5pm Waterford v Kilkenny at 7pm

Kilkevan

Quote from: clonadmad on July 03, 2017, 12:53:33 PM
Confirmed double header Saturday evening in Thurles. Tipp v Dublin at 5pm Waterford v Kilkenny at 7pm

Where are you seeing it's confirmed? I've gone to the usual websites and nothing there yet.

clonadmad

Tweet from Stephen Gleeson

Tipp Fm Sport in the last few mins

Surprised at Dublin TBH