Connacht SFC 2020

Started by Rossfan, October 26, 2020, 01:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Best team won that Connacht final but were very close to counting the cost of a very wasteful 1st half display. It was Sean Cavanagh like against Monaghan by Eoghan McLaughlin late on and if he didn't do it we could be talking about Galway win right now.

Shane Walsh the clear stand out forward on display 0-7 scored 3 top points from play but he and his team mates will be very disappointed with those two missed frees. As stated already the Kelly brothers performed well and Conroy showed some decent leadership. No Tom Flynn,John Daly proved to be big losses.

Tommy Conroy was Mayo best forward today and i'm surprised he was subbed off with 10 mins to go.  A O'Shea was very good first half faded somewhat 2nd half, Ruane had his best game for a while. Barrett is Mr Dependable at full back.

I'd expect Mayo to go on and reach another All Ireland final now and with 3 weeks to prepare should beat the Munster champions more comfortably than Galway today.

macdanger2

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on November 15, 2020, 03:43:49 PM
Special word for Sean Kelly there, what a player and unlucky to be caught for the tackle at the end, another two steps and it was a penalty, such are the margins.

He was brilliant today, like a young Keith Higgins

WhoDat

weird game. i felt galway's lack of games really showed with their touch being a bit off etc but it looked like mayo were feeling the run of consecutive games they've been on too, looked a bit leggy in places. if it had gone to extra time, i would have fancied galway to nick it just based on freshness. mayo will be thankful for the break, i think. they need that time to get the bodies back in order. they'd fancy their chances against the Munster champions, but their midfield looks suspect. was surprised they gave motm to the Ruane lad, thought he was very hit and miss and wasn't really catching much ball in the middle. would have given it to the lad with the cynical foul at the end - you need that bit of badness. or barrett.

what was the logic in bringing on comer? didn't look fit and galway went backwards when he came on, i thought.

highorlow

QuoteWill RTE focus on that bit of outright cynicism from Mayo....hmm.....

Should have been a free out in the build up anyhow, watch it again.

Anyhow Tipp have nothing to worry about after that.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

highorlow

QuoteThe free out Hurson gave to Mayo just before all that after Higgins clambered all over the Galway forward was mind boggling though.

What's the story with the advantage rule? We were clear on goal there and Hurson blew for the free at a vital time. I think the decisions balanced up and Galway had a phantom point awarded also.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

galwayman

Quote from: highorlow on November 15, 2020, 04:36:06 PM
QuoteThe free out Hurson gave to Mayo just before all that after Higgins clambered all over the Galway forward was mind boggling though.

What's the story with the advantage rule? We were clear on goal there and Hurson blew for the free at a vital time. I think the decisions balanced up and Galway had a phantom point awarded also.
I wouldn't say they balanced up at all to be honest.
I think ye deserved the win but he was brutal.
What phantom point was that? Genuinely don't remember there being a dubious one?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: galwayman on November 15, 2020, 04:38:16 PM

What phantom point was that? Genuinely don't remember there being a dubious one?

I can't remember a contentious point either. Was there one?

weareros

Enjoyable though error ridden game. Mayo started like they would have a similar style victory as that over Roscommon, and a 6 point half time lead looked likely. Galway's handling errors were shocking and the lack of games was telling. But they never lacked for effort and had a warrior out there in Conroy and a class forward in Walsh. Mayo were fortunate that Ruane finally found a bit of good  form and his points proved vital. I thought once Galway finally got to the pitch of game, they had the winning of it and in the end I think the ref cost them. He let Coen foul all day to compensate for a lack of pace and gave a shocking free out when Clark bungled another kick out and Higgins had clearly lost ball and fouled. He stopped their momentum other times. I suppose overall Mayo were best for 50 mins but definitely used a get out of jail card from what began brightly enough. They do have room to improve. If it's Cork, I'd still see that as 50/50. They would beat Tipp with a bit to spare.

macdanger2

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 15, 2020, 04:40:28 PM
Quote from: galwayman on November 15, 2020, 04:38:16 PM

I can't remember a contentious point either. Was there one?

There was one from Ian Burke in the 2nd half that looked very tight on TV

An Fhairche Abu

Ian Burke didn't score all game iirc, I cannot remember any contentious score in the match myself, what is this phantom point ye are on about?

galwayman

Ian Burke hadn't a shot not to mind a point.

GaillimhIarthair

Well done to Mayo, got the win and that's all that counts - best of luck for the remainder of the championship.
As said elsewhere, it took us 20+ minutes to get to the pitch of the game and our turnovers, mostly self inflicted, were criminal at times.
Some huge performance and especially from Walsh, S Kelly and Conroy.
Never was John Daly as badly missed as the second half today - needed him in the middle of that half back line. 
Eoghan McLoughlin was Mayos standout player - Ruane wasn't in the top 5 players on the pitch and no idea how he ended up with MOTM.

An Fhairche Abu

They felt they couldn't give MOTM to the lad after him cynically taking a player out, only plausible reason.

GalwayBayBoy

Any reason Sice didn't take those last 2 frees? They would have suited the left footer. Not that he was good after he came on. Both himself and Higgins made big errors after coming on but Higgins was bailed out by the ref for his one at least.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on November 15, 2020, 05:04:42 PM
They felt they couldn't give MOTM to the lad after him cynically taking a player out, only plausible reason.
Yeah, that was probably the reasoning alright. He carried some great ball for Mayo today in fairness to him.  Shot selection is a bit suspect but he's a big addition to that HF line.  His overall performance highlighted the loss of John Daly even more unfortunately for us.