FBD 2024

Started by Farrandeelin, November 08, 2012, 05:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

I can't answer that im afraid although if it was a last chance saloon for caff and Regan like some were saying , it could be the last game they play .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Syferus

Regan is more than welcome to switch to his father's county if he wants a fair crack of the whip.

From the Bunker

moysider

Quote from: larryin89 on January 06, 2019, 09:53:53 PM
I can't answer that im afraid although if it was a last chance saloon for caff and Regan like some were saying , it could be the last game they play .

No point reading too much into anything right now. I haven't a clue what is going on in Horan's head but I would take a lot of his utterances right now with a pinch of salt.
Maybe lads will be given a chance to play themselves off the team. I remember Tom Parsons was given a chance to play himself off the team/panel even, in Horan's first coming. He managed to do so, even though I thought he did well in the games I saw him play. One of the daftest decisions I've ever seen and that is not just in hindsight. What Horan would do for a fit Parsons now. The one player we cant replace at this time imo.
Forget about 2019 being written off larry89. It will be hell-for-leather when it heats up. This building-a-team for the future is a load of bollix. There is continuous development and wastage. Look back at the old team sheets. The players that were good enough arrived fast and stayed a while. Others were hawked a bit, but when you look back, you wonder what-de-f**k was that about?!

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on January 06, 2019, 11:46:22 PM

No point reading too much into anything right now. I haven't a clue what is going on in Horan's head but I would take a lot of his utterances right now with a pinch of salt.
Maybe lads will be given a chance to play themselves off the team. I remember Tom Parsons was given a chance to play himself off the team/panel even in Horan's first coming. He managed to do so, even though I thought he did well in the games I saw him play. One of the daftest decisions I've ever seen and that is not just in hindsight. What Horan would do for a fit Parsons now. The one player we cant replace at this time imo.
Forget about 2019 being written off larry89. It will be hell-for-leather when it heats up. This building-a-team for the future is a load of bollix. There is continuous development and wastage. Look back at the old team sheets. The players that were good enough arrived fast and stayed a while. Others were hawked a bit, but when you look back, you wonder what-de-f**k was that about?!

Is there anything to be said for singing another Gareth Brooks song, Moysider?

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on January 06, 2019, 11:53:01 PM

Maybe lads will be given a chance to play themselves off the team. I remember Tom Parsons was given a chance to play himself off the team/panel even in Horan's first coming. He managed to do so, even though I thought he did well in the games I saw him play. One of the daftest decisions I've ever seen and that is not just in hindsight. What Horan would do for a fit Parsons now. The one player we cant replace at this time imo.

What do you suggest? Dont know any Gareth Brooks songs?

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on January 07, 2019, 12:19:07 AM
Quote from: Syferus on January 06, 2019, 11:53:01 PM

What do you suggest? Dont know any Gareth Brooks songs?

Friends in Low Places would suit

Duine Eile

So Galway and Mayo in Tuam next Sunday, was it last year we had the red cards in the muck on a Friday night in Castlebar after a postponed game the previous Sunday? We're meant to have the Corofin lads for the FBD, it'll be interesting to see how they get on.

seafoid

Quote from: Duine Eile on January 07, 2019, 12:27:01 AM
So Galway and Mayo in Tuam next Sunday, was it last year we had the red cards in the muck on a Friday night in Castlebar after a postponed game the previous Sunday? We're meant to have the Corofin lads for the FBD, it'll be interesting to see how they get on.

A lot of things have changed since 2014

https://youtu.be/9In3bD0D4n8
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

I was looking at All stars

Roscommon have 15

1972: M. Freyne
1974: Dermot Earley
1977: P. Lindsay
1978: Harry Keegan
1979: T. Heneghan, D. Murray, Dermot Earley
1980: Harry Keegan, G. Connellan, D. Murray
1985: Paul Earley
1986: Harry Keegan
1989: T. McManus
1991: E. Gavin
2001: F. Grehan

1970s 7
1980s 6
1990s 1
2000s 1
2010s  0

In science this sort of shape is called a FRED process. Fast rise. Exponential decay
When are Ros going to win another all Star?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Maroon Manc

Any news on the Galway panel apart from the two Sweeney's opting out?

Suppose a few lads will get a chance to stake a claim for a place during the league with the absence of the Corofin lads. Is John Daly good enough to be part of the panel this year?

An Fhairche Abu

Looking at the evolution of the Galway (championship) panel over the last few years there has been a lot of turnover, 11 players on the 2017 squad were gone for 2018 although some of those like Liam Silke and Cillian McDaid will surely return in 2019. Armstrong and the two Sweeneys are gone from last year already, Conroy will be absent for the foreseeable and there's a number of fringe panellists who may or may not get the call again for 2019.
Apparently the Corofin players are in with the squad for the duration of the FBD, it makes it a bit of a nuisance that the league format was ditched this year for knockout, as at least there were a number of guaranteed games in which to try players out under the previous structure. The maximum number of FBD matches Galway can play this year is only two and we could easily end up having only just the one next Sunday. That said at this time of year and with these conditions it's hard to know how much you can take out of it all the same, the league is the best place to see how players will go but even then there are the new rules in place which could flummox even experienced players, not to mention anyone trying to make the step up to Senior.

Going by his performances at club level for Corofin I'd like to see Molloy given a serious chance at half back this year, it remains to be seen how McDaid will fare after his Aussie rules sojourn but he has bags of potential, the HB line is the biggest weakness in this Galway team imo and if that can be overhauled into a better unit then Galway will be in a much better place. Cathal Sweeney is a loss because despite some harsh criticism at times you couldn't fault that man for effort, commitment and application. Bradshaw is surely moving towards purely impact sub territory as well. It'll be interesting to see who is lining out in the 5-7 jerseys in the summer.
Some players who might look out of their depth initially in a Senior jersey (for instance I wouldn't have given Sean Kelly a prayer of making the championship starting 15 after the Tyrone match last January in Tuam) can grow as the league goes on, it is a shame that some Corofin players such as Leonard will miss out on that chance to stake a claim in the Spring.

Great to have a match this weekend to look forward to even if it doesn't matter that much in the overall scheme of things, although given James Horan's loathing of Galway I'd expect his charges to be more than well up for a potentially spiky encounter.

sligoman2

How did the new rules work?  Was there a lot of confusion? 

Well done Leitrim on pushing mayo all the way. 
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

weareros

Quote from: seafoid on January 07, 2019, 10:25:27 AM
I was looking at All stars

Roscommon have 15

1972: M. Freyne
1974: Dermot Earley
1977: P. Lindsay
1978: Harry Keegan
1979: T. Heneghan, D. Murray, Dermot Earley
1980: Harry Keegan, G. Connellan, D. Murray
1985: Paul Earley
1986: Harry Keegan
1989: T. McManus
1991: E. Gavin
2001: F. Grehan

1970s 7
1980s 6
1990s 1
2000s 1
2010s  0

In science this sort of shape is called a FRED process. Fast rise. Exponential decay
When are Ros going to win another all Star?

Does not necessarily correlate to success. in the 2010s, we already have won 2 Connacht titles, whereas we just won 1 in the 2000s and 1 in the 1980s. Plus the All-Stars are at best branded content for a sponsor. I thought the two Murtaghs were easily two of the best forwards in Ireland last year (kicking points other forwards can only do in their dreams) and neither even got a nomination.

larryin89

That's just selective using decades , where as it really does correlate if you simply say Roscommon golden generation in all star period was 77-80 and they won eight all stars in that period .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .