Managers - "outside" versus "inside"

Started by magpie seanie, February 24, 2015, 11:30:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Was having a chat the other evening with a good friend of mine and he brought up something that Sligo surely has a record that cannot be beaten in. Since 1993 the Sligo senior football team has been managed by Sligo natives a total of only 2.5 years. James Kearins in 2004 I think (which ended with the Tommy Murphy Cup debacle), Tommy Breheny in 2007 (which ended with the Nestor Cup  ;D ) and Breheny did another half a year after the Dom Corrigan "white van sacking."

Can any other county match that record for supporting outside managers?

tippabu

Hardy

We've never had an outside manager. Some claim we had one between 2010 and 2012 but  that was just a rare example of a hallucinatory nightmare that affected a whole community.

(And anyway, to call him a manager ???)

magpie seanie

Quote from: tippabu on February 24, 2015, 11:33:37 AM
County London maybe?!!

I'd imagine the London or New York managers were living there although granted they are not native to those counties. Let's omit for the sake of this discussion. 

deiseach

The Offaly hurlers? All their All-Ireland titles, won between 1981 and 1998, were won by outside managers. There might have been a local or two for a couple of years in that time - pretty sure Pad Jo Whelehan and Padraig Horan both had a stint - but outsiders served them well.

blewuporstuffed

I dont think tyrone have ever had an outside manager, have they???
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

seafoid

Quote from: deiseach on February 24, 2015, 11:59:51 AM
The Offaly hurlers? All their All-Ireland titles, won between 1981 and 1998, were won by outside managers. There might have been a local or two for a couple of years in that time - pretty sure Pad Jo Whelehan and Padraig Horan both had a stint - but outsiders served them well.
The Deise hurlers had the 2 McCarthys and Davy Fitz for a good while as well
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Sidney

Pat Fleury was manager for one year in 2000 when they reached the All-Ireland final. Joe Dooley also managed them for three or four years in the recent past.

Waterford hurlers were managed by outsiders from 1997-2011 inclusive which coincided with their rise as a genuine force.

Kildare and Wexford footballers have tended to rely heavily on outside managers.

deiseach

Quote from: seafoid on February 24, 2015, 12:13:34 PM
The Deise hurlers had the 2 McCarthys and Davy Fitz for a good while as well

We've had a quite a few all right. Bringing in Joe McGrath led to civil war.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 24, 2015, 11:30:21 AM
Was having a chat the other evening with a good friend of mine and he brought up something that Sligo surely has a record that cannot be beaten in. Since 1993 the Sligo senior football team has been managed by Sligo natives a total of only 2.5 years. James Kearins in 2004 I think (which ended with the Tommy Murphy Cup debacle), Tommy Breheny in 2007 (which ended with the Nestor Cup  ;D ) and Breheny did another half a year after the Dom Corrigan "white van sacking."

Can any other county match that record for supporting outside managers?
1994 surely, weren't Laffey and Stenson in charge for that year, then PJ Carroll came in that autumn.

AZOffaly

And what is the opposite? What teams have never had an outside manager?

Dublin hurlers have obviously had a few, but has there ever been an outside Football Manager? Tommy Lyons is Mayo I know, but he was a Dub to all intents and purposes.

Kerry footballers haven't had an outside manager I believe, and it's even relatively recent that they've had outside back room staff like Liam Moggan and Cian O'Neill.

Kilkenny Hurlers? Tipperary hurlers? Cork hurlers or Footballers?

twohands!!!

Cork outsider - Larry Tompkins  as manager ;D

can open. Worms everywhere  ;D

AZOffaly

Has there ever been a Ballaghadreen manager of Roscommon, or Mayo? :D 

To Do List - Divert Thread to another bout of Mayo/Roscommon sledging. - Check/.

deiseach

I seem to recall Breheny, taking a break from bemoaning the emptiness of Croke Park on big rugby days in D4, saying that Tyrone have never had an outside manager. In football.

macdanger2

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 24, 2015, 01:05:12 PM
Has there ever been a Ballaghadreen manager of Roscommon, or Mayo? :D 

Mayo - John O'M
Roscommon - no, I believe Evans is their first outside manager   ;D