Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

RadioGAAGAA

Check out the virtual flythrough of the new Casement Park/Páirc Mhic Asmaint stadium.

As expected, a complete f**king nightmare.

In a 3 minute 30 second video, it was 2 minutes in before we got a look at the pitch. Then after 2 minutes 40 seconds they were away from the pitch.

Indicative of where the priorities actually are. If it was their own money they wouldn't be so wasteful.

Build a new main stand. Stick a roof over the existing terrace that runs down the side of the pitch. That means those that want to be seated for 99% of matches are dry and those that want to stand for 99% of matches are dry.

Job done and millions saved. Maybe the money saved on the monstrosity could then have been spent on reducing the queues at A&E in the Royal. Or something similarly useful.
i usse an speelchekor

Redhand Santa

Quote from: our_fella on December 22, 2013, 09:52:25 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 22, 2013, 09:51:34 AM
There's a lot of backward thinking in here. The gaa is being given a fortune to build a 21st century stadium and would be crazy not to take it. Every stadium currently in ulster is out of date and not family friendly. There is no doubt that the modern croke park has helped transform the gaa and attract more people to the games. I'm not sure about the location but I can see the thinking of putting it in the second largest city in the country. Parking etc will be an issue but hopefully plans can be put in place to make it run smoothly. I do have doubts on the size as well and maybe 30,000 would be enough but then I can see a case of making it big enough to hold ulster finals.

With a stadium filled with comfortable seats and ability to offer family tickets far more families are likely to go compared to the alternative of going to stand on a terrace. The facilities can be used as a selling point in our games and provide a wonderful venue for the players. It doesn't have to be packed either to host games in it. I've seen great atmosphere's in croke park for All Ireland Junior and Intermediate finals with a few thousand in it.

However, there is no point in having it if they don't sit down and see exactly how it can be used to attract large crowds and really promote the games (hopefully can be used for other things but selling our own games is most important). With a bit of marketing perhaps one or 2 big league double headers could be played in it under lights. If got the right combination of games and counties there's no reason it couldn't work - for god sake they were able to attract nearly 20,000 for a friendly between Donegal and Ulster last year. Depending on the draw a double header of first round games could go there including the Antrim one. Both ulster semi's no doubt will go to it and obviously the final. They would need to push for a quarter final as well. If they got the right facilities and access to the ground it really could be built into a great day out like Croke Park.

Clearly you havent been to the Athletic Grounds since its been done up?? Muppet

I do think Armagh is a good stadium and I was maybe over the top in the above comment. However, I think it has to be considered that on days when it isn't full the vast majority of the crowd go the stand. I've been numerous times where there is over 4,000 in the stand and just a few hundred on the other side. This is replicated in croke park where the vast majority of the crowds choose to go to the stands as opposed to the hill. There is no doubt that the availability of family seating in croke park has helped to increase attendances and bring out more families since it was done. A good environment, cheap family seats and marketing can no doubt help to attract more people to our games.

On a separate note calling someone a muppet for giving an opinion doesn't reflect very positively on yourself.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on December 30, 2013, 12:42:35 PM
Every stadium currently in ulster is out of date and not family friendly. There is no doubt that the modern croke park has helped transform the gaa and attract more people to the games.

With a stadium filled with comfortable seats and ability to offer family tickets far more families are likely to go compared to the alternative of going to stand on a terrace. The facilities can be used as a selling point in our games and provide a wonderful venue for the players.

However, there is no point in having it if they don't sit down and see exactly how it can be used to attract large crowds and really promote the games (hopefully can be used for other things but selling our own games is most important). With a bit of marketing perhaps one or 2 big league double headers could be played in it under lights.

That selection must be amongst the biggest pile of shite I've ever read on this board.

I go to a match to watch the teams and the sporting competition, not observe the seat my arse is on.

I played in games to win, not look around me at the big stands.

The GAA already has by far the highest percentage of children at its games (relative to soccer/rugby), despite their (supposed) dilapidated stadia.

Sh!te like that above will be what will drive finances into the red - chasing needless white elephants to satisfy eejits who are living in a little dream world of their own.

There is no doubt that a modern stadium if used correctly and with good facilities can help to create a good match day experience and attract more people to the games. Personally I be at games from January to December from club venues to croke park and the venue wouldn't put me off. But there's a lot of people who could easily be swayed and attracted by the experience.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 30, 2013, 04:20:18 PM
I've been numerous times where there is over 4,000 in the stand and just a few hundred on the other side.

Much of that will be to do with car parking being on the side of the main stand...

By preference I would stand rather than sit. Of course, when kids get involved, having a seat (you could chain them to) would then take preference.

QuoteBut there's a lot of people who could easily be swayed and attracted by the experience.

Those same people are much more likely to be put off by men and women getting caught in the passion of the moment and using industrial language.

If you want to try and remove that passion - you'll kill the game as it is largely those that care so much that make it run.

[I've not even mentioned the eejits that would question the parentage of the referee, the eyesight of the linesmen and the basic abilities of players on both teams using crude means!]
i usse an speelchekor

our_fella

There's a lot of backward thinking in here. The gaa is being given a fortune to build a 21st century stadium and would be crazy not to take it. Every stadium currently in ulster is out of date and not family friendly. There is no doubt that the modern croke park has helped transform the gaa and attract more people to the games. I'm not sure about the location but I can see the thinking of putting it in the second largest city in the country. Parking etc will be an issue but hopefully plans can be put in place to make it run smoothly. I do have doubts on the size as well and maybe 30,000 would be enough but then I can see a case of making it big enough to hold ulster finals.

With a stadium filled with comfortable seats and ability to offer family tickets far more families are likely to go compared to the alternative of going to stand on a terrace. The facilities can be used as a selling point in our games and provide a wonderful venue for the players. It doesn't have to be packed either to host games in it. I've seen great atmosphere's in croke park for All Ireland Junior and Intermediate finals with a few thousand in it.

However, there is no point in having it if they don't sit down and see exactly how it can be used to attract large crowds and really promote the games (hopefully can be used for other things but selling our own games is most important). With a bit of marketing perhaps one or 2 big league double headers could be played in it under lights. If got the right combination of games and counties there's no reason it couldn't work - for god sake they were able to attract nearly 20,000 for a friendly between Donegal and Ulster last year. Depending on the draw a double header of first round games could go there including the Antrim one. Both ulster semi's no doubt will go to it and obviously the final. They would need to push for a quarter final as well. If they got the right facilities and access to the ground it really could be built into a great day out like Croke Park.

I do think Armagh is a good stadium and I was maybe over the top in the above comment. However, I think it has to be considered that on days when it isn't full the vast majority of the crowd go the stand. I've been numerous times where there is over 4,000 in the stand and just a few hundred on the other side. This is replicated in croke park where the vast majority of the crowds choose to go to the stands as opposed to the hill. There is no doubt that the availability of family seating in croke park has helped to increase attendances and bring out more families since it was done. A good environment, cheap family seats and marketing can no doubt help to attract more people to our games.

On a separate note calling someone a muppet for giving an opinion doesn't reflect very positively on yourself.

When you come out with things that a muppet would say, be prepared to be called a muppet. Simple

red hander

'Clearly you havent been to the Athletic Grounds since its been done up?? Muppet'

And how long did it take them to do the Athletic Grounds up? There's your muppets. Simple  ::)

Redhand Santa

Quote from: our_fella on December 30, 2013, 10:59:53 PM

When you come out with things that a muppet would say, be prepared to be called a muppet. Simple

Approximately 75% of the Athletic Grounds is terrace. I have no problem with that and think its a good ground. However, if your building a new stadium to host ulster finals and big games the majority of it should be seated. There is plenty of evidence to suggest that people and families in particular prefer to sit. People don't want to bring their wives or children to stand on a terrace where they can't see and whether some of you like it or not the majority of people prefer to sit.

When games aren't full and people have a choice I would say 90% plus choose to sit. Look at any games held in Omagh,Newry,Armagh,Croke Park,Portlaoise etc - the vast majority of the crowd always go to the stand even when it involves a worse viewing point than the terrace. And I have no doubt that the availability of family seating in Croke Park helps to attract extra people to the games.

Maguire01

I'd hardly call the Athletics Grounds a modern stadium. One half decent stand with a lopsided building in the middle of it and an oversized TV. After about 20 year's work.

Jeepers Creepers

Any stadium that serves tea and confectionery on two fold up tables is not modern.

Dougal Maguire

It all depends on what standards you set. I agree with the 2 previous posters as regards the Athletic Grounds, it's ok, much improved on what was there, and as good as there is after Clones. It's about adequate for the present but not up to what we should expect in the future.  Ravenhill, which is almost complete is functional, but it won't win too many design awards.  The new Casement, however, will be an iconic structure offering top class facilities for years to come.  The only drawback is that it couldn't be fully covered
Careful now

mackers

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on December 31, 2013, 01:02:39 PM
Any stadium that serves tea and confectionery on two fold up tables is not modern.
One throwaway remark by a poster and now it's open season on the Athletic Grounds.  Tea and confectionary are sold out of two shops which are an integral part of the new stand. Comments regarding a "lop-sided building" and the length of time it took to build it are irrelevant to the point being made.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Redhand Santa

The Athletic Grounds is probably currently my favourite ground in Ulster. However, if a fortune is going to be spent on a new stadium to help drive the gaa forward more seating and modern facilities should be included.

Feckitt

The new stand in the Athletic Grounds is very poorly laid out.  You cannot walk from one end to the other.  It's not a patch on the stand in Pairc Esler in Newry.

Dougal Maguire

The Armagh County Board really did spoil the ship for a ha'porth of tar when they decided to build the new stand around the Ceannarus Building. It was already a poultice before the stand was built and it remains one of the 3 worst structures at a GAA ground in Ireland, the other 2 being the concrete box at the rear of the Nally in Croke, which masquerades as a control room, and the pylon at McHale Park which is supposed to be a commentary box
Careful now