Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big balla

Quote from: Itchy on May 18, 2013, 04:09:22 PM
Quote from: Dirtyball on May 18, 2013, 03:41:36 PM
Quote from: Itchy on May 18, 2013, 09:41:17 AM
Quote from: Dirtyball on May 18, 2013, 06:13:25 AM
Quote from: Itchy on May 17, 2013, 05:03:06 PM
Funny thing is I tried posting something on hoganstand around same time as dirtbag and mine was censored! Please God he stays there and doesn't invade gaaboard.
mylestheslasher stop answering your own posts. It's a sign of madness taking to yourself. !!

I've better things to do than debate with you. Take Westsides advice.
so you not denying that you mylestheslasher then Itchy? You just have to read your posts on various threads to work that out. Sad really that you feel the need to debate issues with yourself!!!
Yes I am, now I'm done talking to you so do me a favour and direct your shite talk somewhere else.

Well said. Dirtyball you are an idiot with nothing insightful to say about Cavan football. That was a huge win for Cavan and one that was badly needed.

cavanmaniac

Fair play to all concerned today, two good victories for our minor and senior teams and badly needed.

There was lots of good things in that performance, mostly so the steady and cool-headed response to the goal. There's clearly a steely psychology underpinning our team now and it's very encouraging to see. Collectively we defended very well for most of the game, the goal was a bit of a slippy one that can happen to any team really. The response was excellent though.

Midfield looked very strange all through, quite isolated and we lost a lot of kick outs early on. In the crucial stages we won a lot more breaking ball though and that's when it counted most.

We should commend a young and learning Cavan team for this win, while being mindful of how poor Armagh were by contrast. If anything, Cavan should have taken them for more scores with all the space we had when the ball came in, and we left them in the game way longer than they deserved to be. Some wild shooting and selfishness from Keating didn't help but otherwise he had a big bearing on the result; he roasted his man and then got hands on a lot of ball at a crucial time when he moved out around the middle of the field.
Dunne was excellent but he will play a long time before he has such freedom again. But you can only beat what's put in front of you and in this lad we have an inside forward of real class who can develop and get even better.
Martin Reilly had a very positive impact when he came on, he carried a lot of ball out of defence and relieved a lot of pressure, Ronan Flanagan and Mackey got through a lot of work as well.
You'd have to be happy with our first Ulster championship win since 2009. There's a bit of mental toughness there, togetherness, team spirit, a clear plan and a great work ethic and pride in the jersey. In the bleak times of a few years ago, that's all any of us wanted to see in our players and now we have it.
Armagh can feel aggrieved at the decision to disallow the goal but they got the rub of the green for the goal that did stand so maybe it evened out. Bad decision or no, it would have been a travesty had they got anything out of that game. It's hard to see where they can go now and it looks like the suspicions about Grimley are proving to be true.

anglocelt39

start of the year I would have been happy with 1, going into the last day of a dangerous division three with status secured 2. three good championship days out and 3, not getting humiliated by anybody at senior level. Happy days. Absolutely super wins today, compliment players management and backroom teams for both seniors and minors. Of course Armagh were disappointing partly because our lads worked like dogs and didn't give them anything to work with. In addition to the lads singled out in the previous post I would comment on Fergal Flanagan who worked like a dog when the going was tough and also Niall McDermott. He has been  a lad who seems to get a small bit of a hard time from some of the keyboard experts, I'm delighted he is being stuck with and given the chance to develop into an inter county player. Too often in the past Cavan lads were getting one chance and if they weren't immediately the next Texas Brady or Charlie Gallagher they were getting dispensed with for somebody else.

Fermanagh next and we owe Canavan one for the league performance when let us say his "stamp" was on the Lake Mens team. What's the story with Givney two yellows??? Positive things are that the likes of Mossy Corr, McKeever, Barry Reilly, Hayes, McCutcheon and a few others are available to man up if needed.

Also delighted for our minors players and selectors. How nice to be bagging a late win, god knows it's been to opposite way too often in the past 10 years.

This site and Hogan should be mercifully free of some of the usual shitehawks over the next few weeks.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds

rodney trotter

Great win for both Minors and Seniors. Ryan Connolly was outstanding for the Minors, kicked some great scores with either foot from impossible angles. Ben Kiernan was very good too, and Tom Hayes worked hard inside. Grey McGoveren put in a good shit in the middle. Cavan were the better side for the majority of the game but kicked a lot of wides, Armagh seemed to make better use of the possession they had. Thankfully Cavan snatched a late win. Its a great boost after a poor minor League. They will fancy their chances against Fermanagh, Game will be in Clones asaik like the Senior

Great win for the Seniors too against the odds going by the bookies. hopefully that shut a few up.
Cavan tactics were spot on, and they nullified Jamie Clarke very well. Mackey was excellent limking attack and defence and took the goal very well. Good to see Mackey back on the panel, he was always a quality player since Minor. Martin Dunne will get all the plaudits and fair play to him. Missed a few poor free's in the first half, but then settled down and kicked some wonder scores. McEnroe was very good, looks very comfortable in the half back . Keating and McDermott were always lively and linked well with Martin Dunne. Thought Ronan Flanagan worked very hard too

Givney's 2 yellow won't mean anything. He will be available the  next day
Cavan will be ready for Fermanagh and the cynical shite that Canavan has them playing

PhilsJemmysField

Great stuff unbelievable that Armagh never dropped a Man back in front of the Full Forward line. We will never see that against Fermanagh, will be another dog fight and hopefully this time we will bite. We wasted a lot of simple chances should have been out of sight yet probably lost the midfield battle at times so a funny game in ways. Still just cannot understand how Armagh never dropped a man back so I would say Grimley will come under the microscope for that. We definitely out worked them so that is a good start. Is the next day in Brewster ?

rodney trotter

Quote from: PhilsJemmysField on May 19, 2013, 05:25:43 PM
Great stuff unbelievable that Armagh never dropped a Man back in front of the Full Forward line. We will never see that against Fermanagh, will be another dog fight and hopefully this time we will bite. We wasted a lot of simple chances should have been out of sight yet probably lost the midfield battle at times so a funny game in ways. Still just cannot understand how Armagh never dropped a man back so I would say Grimley will come under the microscope for that. We definitely out worked them so that is a good start. Is the next day in Brewster ?

Orginally fixed for Brewster but the G8 meeting will be on in Enniskillen, in that period. Clones asaik

mylestheslasher

Super stuff from our lads. Delighted with the effort that went in and the way we were set up with a definite game plan which worked a treat. I am particularly delighted for Feargal flanagan about whom a lot of shit is written about him being a favourite of the manager and undeserving of his place - he was outstanding today and gave a big two fingers to his detractors. He also has college exams tomorrow - thats they level of commitment these lads give. We won by 4 and should have won by more. There is plenty we can work on and improve. But for now well done lads, you did Cavan proud as did the minors.

rodney trotter

Ryan McCluskey played the sweeper role well against Cavan in the League game. Martin Dunne was fairly quiet in that game from play, It will be interesting to see how Cavan deal with that. Fermanagh carry the ball well at good pace, hopefully more of the same from
Fergal Flanagan in the defensive half forward role. Shane McCabe is a very good player at centre forward, uses the ball very well and has great pace. Alan Clarke struggled against him I thought in the league game. Although it was tougher when Fermanagh had the extra man for long periods.

tommysmith

Great win and delighted for the lads, i didn't know Armagh were so poor.

Big day in Brewster next so hopefully everyone stays fit and Mossy is back he is badly needed to help out in midfield.

Westside

Fermanagh will be very tough, as much as I enjoyed the win yesterday Armagh were just awful. When it was so obvious that we could score at will up front it seemed like a forgegone conclusion. Had Cavan needed a goal was there any doubt that we could have got it?

Keating is immense, his physicality is just quality. He can and will outmuscle most players if he's left in an individual battle. I'd like to see him really press home that advantage and start going through players for goals. His selfishness for the goal is outweighed by the dirty work he did out the field in to the second half.

Similar to what Myles said about F. Flanagan, I think Niall McDermott's performance warrants a mention. He didn't make many people's expected line ups but he was quality yesterday. All in all a great team performance but we won't get away with kicking easy frees and shots wide v Fermanagh. The number of chances we will have will be much much smaller. As someone over on HS said, we need a high conversion rate free taker.

Who was the Number 13 in the Minor game? I thought he was top class, best Cavan player by a mile. Big Greg McGovern was excellent, Fortune was very good. Hopefully Ben Kiernan will get a bit more space v Fermanagh, his point was as good as any scored in Breffni yesterday.
I'd be worried about them though, we've seen what having a powerhouse in the FF line can do, it's why we won Ulster in 2011 with Finnegan and O'Donnell and it's why we were beaten by Donegal last year. We've gone for the light fast lads inside this year, hard to know if it will bring us far.
Also I heard today that at least 1 player was dropped from the Minor Panel on Friday night.. If so that is disgraceful from Gary Donohoe and Co. A lad trains all year, takes time away from his leaving cert studies, and doesn't even get to be with the team on the day of the game. 

rodney trotter

N13 was Tom Hayes Cootehill, he was excellent last year in the Intermediate final drawn game and replay. He showed very well inside

Ryan Connolly was the pick of the players I thought at Centre forward

BallyhaiseMan

I was delighted with yesterday,One guy who wasn't mentioned i don;t think who started for Jack Brady,Killian the gunner,i thought put in an outstanding shift as did Fergak Flanagan.
Conor Gilsenans handling was top notch.Alan Clarke played the sweeper role to perfection in front of Clarke. Ronan Flanagan was a great outlet throughout and big James McEnroe had a stormer,Givney and Damien were outtstanding in general play,but Cavan did lose the aerial exchances at centre field,which will be a worry against Fermanagh,Killian Clarke made a difference though when he switched out in the second half. Niall McDermott as Westside said was outstanding as was Mackey. Keatings all round play was terrific,and while i feared the worst for Martin Dunne's confidence after he missed that easy free,he was simply brilliant afterwards. Martin Reily also made a big impact when he came on  and his ball carrying and distribution was top notch, As some of you have said however,Fermanagh will be a different kettle of fish, they will put 12/13 men behind the ball and ask questions off Cavan which we will have to answer. Delighted with the Minor win also.

CC1

Great display from our lads. We played with much more composure than previous years, we are gradually getting better. The lads that performed well had those performances in them and a special mention must go to Givney and Martin Reilly for their ball into Keating and Martin Dunne right through the game. Every pass was perfect for the forward. Every back was tenacious and cool on the ball apart from a ten minute spell in the second half. Half forwards worked like madmen too! Great to watch such hunger and heart from the boys in blue.

Armagh on the other hand reminded me of how we've played at times in this past decade. Very poor.
"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."

Itchy

Delighted with performance and result. Great to see Cavan so fit and hungry and finally beating one of the big names in Ulster. Thought McEnroe was brilliant but unfair to single anyone out. Early night for me to recover from this hangover.

rodney trotter

Killian Brady done alright, but has a habit of getting booked. He put in a very rash tackle in the first half yesterday and was on a booking for the rest of the game.

McEnroe is a quality footballer, playing great stuff with Ramor. He was a loss last year, - working in London