Cost Of Living

Started by Olly, July 03, 2022, 05:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

And prisons!! Scandinavian prisons best .. well there was a documentary on it with some aul Tory mp visiting them
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Pound at it's lowest ever against the dollar today  :(

RedHand88

Quote from: lenny on September 26, 2022, 06:03:19 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on September 26, 2022, 05:22:13 PM
Quote from: Franko on September 26, 2022, 04:11:09 PM
Quote from: trailer on September 24, 2022, 06:32:46 PM
Quote from: Eire90 on September 23, 2022, 06:09:10 PM
is tax cuts not good

They absolutely are. This is a good budget for intelligent people.

This aged well.

Maybe trailer is in the 1% and rolling in it and won't be relying on the NHS or social care in his twilight years...

Scandanavian countries have the highest taxation rates in the world and yet they regularly are rated the best countries to live in with regard to contentment among citizens.  That's because people know their taxes are going to provide really high quality public services including excellent health care systems and care for the elderly.

They also have an excellent work ethic. If you applied their tax structure to here there'd be nobody in work.

seafoid

Quote from: lenny on September 26, 2022, 06:03:19 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on September 26, 2022, 05:22:13 PM
is tax cuts not good

This aged well.

Maybe trailer is in the 1% and rolling in it and won't be relying on the NHS or social care in his twilight years...

Scandanavian countries have the highest taxation rates in the world and yet they regularly are rated the best countries to live in with regard to contentment among citizens.  That's because people know their taxes are going to provide really high quality public services including excellent health care systems and care for the elderly.
Swedish citizens are not very happy bunnies these days. The far right is in the ascendant.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

toby47

The shopping bill is going up a tenner a week at this rate.

RedHand88

Banks are starting to pull mortgages. It's starting. I have a few friends and family members house hunting at the moment and I'm pleading with them to wait a year until after the inevitable crash.

trailer

is tax cuts not good

This aged well.

We sell a fair bit overseas so that has worked for me to be honest. The Euro took a tumble as well against the dollar so it's not just a UK problem. Turn off the news. It'll be ok.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: toby47 on September 27, 2022, 09:12:44 AM
The shopping bill is going up a tenner a week at this rate.

A tenner? Its wild the amount has changed so much over the last year... Lidil is even getting expensive
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: trailer on September 27, 2022, 09:23:40 AM
is tax cuts not good

This aged well.

We sell a fair bit overseas so that has worked for me to be honest. The Euro took a tumble as well against the dollar so it's not just a UK problem. Turn off the news. It'll be ok.

Unless whatever you make is sourced purely from the local market then you'll feel the devaluing of the £ when you go to bring in materials outside the UK which I'd hazard a guess most businesses do then plus with oil being priced in $'s expect your transportation costs, energy costs to take yet another hike upwards..

yes, if you sell your product priced in £ vrs € or $ then it'll look more competitive to those markets.

trailer

Quote from: johnnycool on September 27, 2022, 09:39:22 AM
is tax cuts not good

This aged well.

Unless whatever you make is sourced purely from the local market then you'll feel the devaluing of the £ when you go to bring in materials outside the UK which I'd hazard a guess most businesses do then plus with oil being priced in $'s expect your transportation costs, energy costs to take yet another hike upwards..

yes, if you sell your product priced in £ vrs € or $ then it'll look more competitive to those markets.

Ours is a service so no manufacturing inputs.

johnnycool

Quote from: trailer on September 27, 2022, 09:48:02 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on September 27, 2022, 09:39:22 AM
is tax cuts not good

This aged well.

That's the modern way and if you're a multinational with HQ outside of the UK you'll be easier to pay now as well    ;)

seafoid

Sterling has fallen one third since Brexit. UK disposable income per head is 2,000 lower than French now. 
At least the North is still in the Single Market.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

AustinPowers

Quote from: seafoid on September 27, 2022, 02:20:44 PM
Sterling has fallen one third since Brexit. UK disposable income per head is 2,000 lower than French now. 
At least the North is still in the Single Market.

Second year in a row that's happened, with  almost disastrous consequences

Franko

is tax cuts not good

This aged well.

"Intelligent people" and "Exporters" are not the same thing.

As you have proven  ;D

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: trailer on September 27, 2022, 09:48:02 AM

Of course that makes you completely immune to the effects of power & energy costs... and of wage inflation. Also, in the longer term, your completely isolated from the education system - and don't need to provide health insurance to employees as the NHS is there.

If your "services" are reliant on software licences, then their base price usually isn't in GBP - even if what you were quoted is.

But its a budget for the intelligent.  ::)

-----------------------------------------

Sinn Fein need to get someone that is not directly connected to them to show how much better off someone in NI would be looking back 6 months and looking forward 6 months if they were part of the Republic than the UK.

If it's a significant amount - you'd expect it to give floating voters something to really think about.
i usse an speelchekor