People you admire

Started by armaghniac, May 20, 2021, 10:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Sometimes on TV etc you see people that you can only admire.
I remember thinking this a couple of years ago when there was a woman from Tallaght who was campaigning for an old person, her connection with this person was that she had been hired as a cleaner.

Tonight, I am watching the father of those 3 children who were killed by their mother and I do not think that I would have the composure and strength that he has.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Armagh18

Quote from: armaghniac on May 20, 2021, 10:03:27 PM
Sometimes on TV etc you see people that you can only admire.
I remember thinking this a couple of years ago when there was a woman from Tallaght who was campaigning for an old person, her connection with this person was that she had been hired as a cleaner.

Tonight, I am watching the father of those 3 children who were killed by their mother and I do not think that I would have the composure and strength that he has.
Read the first paragraph and immediately thought of that poor man. Amazing strength and composure to speak the way he has.  Heartbreaking story.

An Watcher

Read the story today and remember it happening but going to stay away from it now. Terrible tragedy

brokencrossbar1

Bernadette Devlin, there's someone to admire

From the Bunker

Not many to admire the last 15 months.

History is not going to be kind.

Angelo

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 20, 2021, 10:25:24 PM

+1

Inspirational figure.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Milltown Row2

I was never one for politics, though growing up Hume was hard to beat, and as BC1 said Devlin was something else.

For me on a personal note, my parents are hard to beat, my club mentors, who brought me to the club and steered me away from the madness going on around me. My wife who (slowly  ;D) educated me on many things.

I've admiration for certain sports people both amateur and professional from GAA, Teddy McCarthy was immense and the Galway hurling team of the late 80's

The professionals,  I've always admired Keane, Roy. His drive his standards, while he'd have been so hard to deal with he'd be the one that you'd need in a battle.

During the troubles there are certain things that stick with you, the news regarding the deaths on all sides, and the families that were interviewed, praying for forgiveness to the killers! That's strength

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jeepers Creepers

Her face to face show with Eamonn Mailie was a great hour of TV if you can get the chance to watch. Incredible stories. 

seafoid

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 20, 2021, 10:25:24 PM
She is a laoch.
Eamonn Ryan, the Cork ladies GF coach who died recently

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

bennydorano

Mickley Harte, I've said it before on a similar thread years ago. It's been open season on Mickey by twitter gobshites for a few years, mainly for giving character references to people in trouble with the authorities, and while I understand people have every right to object to that, it has only increased my admiration of him, being prepared to put his reputation and whatever else on the line to help a person out knowing the flack that was coming his way. There's no Religion in me, hasn't been since I was a child, but when I see the undoubted faith that Mickey wears like a shield I feel envious sometimes.

Substandard

An interesting thread, looking forward to this as a break from the usual sniping on other threads.
Some characters will be divisive- Mickey Harte would be one, and for what it's worth,  I do admire him.
Mandela would be my choice,  but I think we often attach aspirations to figures we admire that they may or may not live up to: Roy Keane would be another for me, but I would tend to focus on what I would consider the ideals he represents for me, and consequently downplay or ignore the negatives.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: bennydorano on May 21, 2021, 10:05:31 AM
Mickley Harte, I've said it before on a similar thread years ago. It's been open season on Mickey by twitter gobshites for a few years, mainly for giving character references to people in trouble with the authorities, and while I understand people have every right to object to that, it has only increased my admiration of him, being prepared to put his reputation and whatever else on the line to help a person out knowing the flack that was coming his way. There's no Religion in me, hasn't been since I was a child, but when I see the undoubted faith that Mickey wears like a shield I feel envious sometimes.

Can't wait to Trailer reads this.

johnnycool

Quote from: Substandard on May 21, 2021, 10:14:21 AM
An interesting thread, looking forward to this as a break from the usual sniping on other threads.
Some characters will be divisive- Mickey Harte would be one, and for what it's worth,  I do admire him.
Mandela would be my choice,  but I think we often attach aspirations to figures we admire that they may or may not live up to: Roy Keane would be another for me, but I would tend to focus on what I would consider the ideals he represents for me, and consequently downplay or ignore the negatives.

I think we can admire aspects of a person and dislike other aspects of them for instance I admire greatly Micky Harte for the way he's dealt with the murder of his daughter, the strength he has shown throughout all that is inspirational. Some of the other things mentioned he's been involved with are questionable.

Individuals are more complex than that but I do love Bernadette Devlin for the way she articulates with a deep passion the struggles of the downtrodden.
Her speech she gave about the Irish having no right to be racist needs taught in all Irish Schools..

Itchy

Robert Fisk who sadly passed away last year. A legend of a journalist.

trailer

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 21, 2021, 10:19:34 AM
Quote from: bennydorano on May 21, 2021, 10:05:31 AM

Can't wait to Trailer reads this.

You know what I Harte is to be admired he has had huge personal tragedy befall him and yet was able deal with it with huge grace. So I admire that about him.
I just disliked his football and felt he held Tyrone back and that ended up costing them more than he won with them.