Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skeog

MH seems confident Cathal may not sign contract.

tyrone08

Quote from: skeog on January 05, 2020, 06:44:03 PM
MH seems confident Cathal may not sign contract.

What's that based on?

tyroneman

Dull enough first half overall although mcCurry lively, Rafferty lively and Coney lively - not a lot of decent ball into CmcC at to be honest so hard to evaluate today - he will need a few  more games at FF to settle (and to see if he is any sort of answer in the absence of mcShane)

Forward mark was really non existent, defenders just breaking the ball time after time (on both sides).

Kilpatrick had a very good debut. Moved well, caught plenty. Certainly worth a few more starts to see how he does. Looks to be a big strong fella which is what we need in MF

Armagh will be a much more difficult proposition. No fear of Tyrone and a very slick forward unit. Harte will need someone like mcNamee to look after RoN....never.mind Clarke and Campbell.

Decent enough game to start the season, but would worry about Tyrone having enough firepower to beat the top 3-4 teams this year (again)

Angelo

Quote from: tyroneman on January 05, 2020, 07:30:39 PM
Dull enough first half overall although mcCurry lively, Rafferty lively and Coney lively - not a lot of decent ball into CmcC at to be honest so hard to evaluate today - he will need a few  more games at FF to settle (and to see if he is any sort of answer in the absence of mcShane)

Forward mark was really non existent, defenders just breaking the ball time after time (on both sides).

Kilpatrick had a very good debut. Moved well, caught plenty. Certainly worth a few more starts to see how he does. Looks to be a big strong fella which is what we need in MF

Armagh will be a much more difficult proposition. No fear of Tyrone and a very slick forward unit. Harte will need someone like mcNamee to look after RoN....never.mind Clarke and Campbell.

Decent enough game to start the season, but would worry about Tyrone having enough firepower to beat the top 3-4 teams this year (again)

I think Armagh will probably beat us the next day out unless we bring back a lot of the big guns.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Pearse Blue

Harte's interview after the game was embarrassing.. Asked about McShane and he moreless said "I don't know what hes going to do but in my opinion his future is brighter here"

What's that Mickey? An 8-5 job for 35k a year then an hour drive home to Donegal border then a 45 minute drive to Gervaghy for training, or a professional contract in Australia worth maybe 100k or whatever a rookie makes.

It wasn't just what he was saying, but he genuinely sounded cold about it and I can only imagine the response he first got when he seeked "advice" from Harte 

southtyronegael

He wasn't advising him he was "enlightening" him. Harte raging because he knows Mc Shane leaving will hamper him staying on as manager. More self interest from Mickey.

bogball88

Is Mark Bardley on the panel at the minute? No sign of him yesterday and he is still tipping away for Mountfield on a a saturday

Angelo

Quote from: Pearse Blue on January 06, 2020, 08:23:32 AM
Harte's interview after the game was embarrassing.. Asked about McShane and he moreless said "I don't know what hes going to do but in my opinion his future is brighter here"

What's that Mickey? An 8-5 job for 35k a year then an hour drive home to Donegal border then a 45 minute drive to Gervaghy for training, or a professional contract in Australia worth maybe 100k or whatever a rookie makes.

It wasn't just what he was saying, but he genuinely sounded cold about it and I can only imagine the response he first got when he seeked "advice" from Harte

You find it embarrassing that the Tyrone manager would be trying to convince one of his best players to stick around and play for Tyrone?

Of course Harte will have a self interest here, it is of the interest of Tyrone GAA that McShane stays as he is an invaluable player. I wouldn't begrudge him a move but you must be some simpleton to think that the manager of an intercounty football team will not be acting in the interest of the team rather than the individual.

Did you see the furore down in Kerry when there was talk of Clifford going a few years back, it was pitchforks at dawn. Tomas O'Se was launching a number of broadside attacks and went for his ex teammate Tadhg Kennelly no holds barred.

"Let's make no bones about this. Right now, a lot of people in Kerry are cursing Tadhg. Cursing one of our own. That can't be right," he said.

"I'd say any focus on this story must be bothering him. If I met him tomorrow, I'd say straight up, "Tadhg, I've nothing against you personally. But I hate what you're doing."

"Because people in Kerry are sick of this. A lot of Tadhg's former team-mates are sick of this too, they just don't feel comfortable saying it. But I think Clifford leaving would be the straw that broke the camel's back."

And this from a person who was not actively involved with Kerry GAA at that time? If you find Harte embarrassing what would you find that?

If McShane wants to go that is his choice and I wouldn't begrudge him that but the fact that you would find it embarrassing that the county manager would be doing his best to try and convince his best player to stick around is a very bizarre stance to take.

The_Slug

Quote from: Angelo on January 06, 2020, 09:51:35 AM

You find it embarrassing that the Tyrone manager would be trying to convince one of his best players to stick around and play for Tyrone?

Of course Harte will have a self interest here, it is of the interest of Tyrone GAA that McShane stays as he is an invaluable player. I wouldn't begrudge him a move but you must be some simpleton to think that the manager of an intercounty football team will not be acting in the interest of the team rather than the individual.

Did you see the furore down in Kerry when there was talk of Clifford going a few years back, it was pitchforks at dawn. Tomas O'Se was launching a number of broadside attacks and went for his ex teammate Tadhg Kennelly no holds barred.

"Let's make no bones about this. Right now, a lot of people in Kerry are cursing Tadhg. Cursing one of our own. That can't be right," he said.

"I'd say any focus on this story must be bothering him. If I met him tomorrow, I'd say straight up, "Tadhg, I've nothing against you personally. But I hate what you're doing."

"Because people in Kerry are sick of this. A lot of Tadhg's former team-mates are sick of this too, they just don't feel comfortable saying it. But I think Clifford leaving would be the straw that broke the camel's back."

And this from a person who was not actively involved with Kerry GAA at that time? If you find Harte embarrassing what would you find that?

If McShane wants to go that is his choice and I wouldn't begrudge him that but the fact that you would find it embarrassing that the county manager would be doing his best to try and convince his best player to stick around is a very bizarre stance to take.

the way in which MH approached it was not good, basically saying its no benefit to him if mcshane leaves, made himself sound selfish. that was my view on it anyway, but everyone will have different opinions on it

Angelo

Quote from: The_Slug on January 06, 2020, 10:01:06 AM

the way in which MH approached it was not good, basically saying its no benefit to him if mcshane leaves, made himself sound selfish. that was my view on it anyway, but everyone will have different opinions on it

He's the Tyrone manager, of course he is going to try and convince him to stay. This is nothing inconsistent with Harte's views on the AFL and how they have poached the best talent away. He's certainly not the only prominent figure in GAA to share these views and you can understand his frustration in that we have lost Conor McKenna who was the biggest talent to come through Tyrone since Sean Cavanagh. If McShane goes and comes back I have no doubt that Harte would have him back in the set up at the drop of a hat.

It's a great opportunity for these lads to go and make a professional sports career for themselves but I would expect nothing less from people involved with the county team to fight tooth and nail to keep their best players involved.

The pressure GAA figures in Kerry exalted on Clifford managed to keep him from the reaches of the AFL.

Pearse Blue

Obviously he is going to want him to stay, as do the whole of the counties supporters but if the lad has an opportunity like that, why go through an interview with all the sly digs and remarks. Harte handled it very poorly, acted like a child in front of the cameras. To me, it felt like a last ditch approach to convince him or in a better word make him stay in Tyrone.

Reporter: If McShane went and came back in a few years would there still be a place for him?
"Well, erm, I don't know..." or whatever way he phrased that..

Also, didn't go into how his future is brighter at home? Maybe he hasn't thought that far ahead or maybe the future is simply better with this opportunity and Harte can't bring himself to say it..

southtyronegael

Mc Shane starting pre season training with Adelaide later in month according to twitter.

Angelo

Quote from: Pearse Blue on January 06, 2020, 10:16:52 AM

Obviously he is going to want him to stay, as do the whole of the counties supporters but if the lad has an opportunity like that, why go through an interview with all the sly digs and remarks. Harte handled it very poorly, acted like a child in front of the cameras. To me, it felt like a last ditch approach to convince him or in a better word make him stay in Tyrone.

Reporter: If McShane went and came back in a few years would there still be a place for him?
"Well, erm, I don't know..." or whatever way he phrased that..

Also, didn't go into how his future is brighter at home? Maybe he hasn't thought that far ahead or maybe the future is simply better with this opportunity and Harte can't bring himself to say it..

Harte is being consistent in his views on the AFL.

Here he is in 2017 on David Clifford.

http://www.irishnews.com/paywall/tsb/irishnews/irishnews/irishnews//sport/2017/09/20/news/mickey-harte-hopes-david-clifford-resists-afl-lure-1141395/content.html

Of course McShane will come back into the fold if he is available, that's a complete no brainer.

Pearse Blue

You and I both know that Angelo, but why does Harte stutter around when asked the question. Is he trying to make McShane think "If i go ill not get back in" which is complete nonsense

southtyronegael

I must add that I do agree with harte about the relationship between gaa and AFL. Too easy for them to come over here and cherry pick the best of our talent with no cost or work involved to them. All the time and work done by our club and county coaches.