Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

Quote from: J70 on November 12, 2019, 11:55:57 AM
Quote from: Hound on November 12, 2019, 10:14:55 AM
Quote from: Taylor on November 12, 2019, 09:57:17 AM
Quote from: Hound on November 12, 2019, 08:43:59 AM
Quote from: laoislad on November 12, 2019, 08:01:44 AM
My money would be on Gomez in a fight against Sterling.
Some sympathy going around for Sterling, but whatever he did it must have been pretty bad to get thrown out of England camp!

In fairness to him, he had a really good game on Sunday, but thankfully (and very surprisingly) De Bruyne and Aguero were awful.

I have a feeling both teams will drop a higher than usual amount of points between now and early Jan.

If it had been a game against a top team there is no way he would have been thrown out
Still a massive statement to throw him out. A very public admonishment. No attempt to dress it up as something else. It would have been easy to say he's picked up a minor niggle and for Southgate to just privately tell him not to do whatever he did again.

Idiotic from Southgate.

Two young, highly competitive lads in a very significant and emotional game have a brief go at each other and there is minor spillover afterwards. Shocking stuff I tell ye!

FA can confirm Raheem Sterling will not be considered for Thursday's EURO 2020 qualifier against Montenegro as a result of a disturbance in a private team area at St. George's Park today,' a statement read. 'He will remain with the squad.'

Sterling had clashed with Gomez towards the end of the dramatic top-of-the-table clash at Anfield which left City lead points behind leaders Liverpool, and the bad blood spilled over yesterday. The City winger is understood to have reacted aggressively after being greeted warmly by Gomez in the players' canteen at St George's Park in front of the rest of the squad, with the Liverpool defender stunned by Sterling's outburst.

Sterling was sat down in the canteen when Gomez arrived and leant over from behind to shake his hand, leading to him to attempt to grab his team-mate by the neck. The rest of the England players initially thought Sterling was joking, but it soon became clear that he had lost control and the pair were separated. The incident was particularly surprising to the other Liverpool players present as Sterling and Gomez had made the peace following the game at Anfield with an embrace following the final whistle. The cause of Sterling's eruption yesterday was unclear, although England sources were speculating last night that he may have reacted badly to being widely lampooned on social media for coming off second-best physically in the initial confrontation with Gomez.

The heated exchange plunged the FA into crisis talks last night, with manager Gareth Southgate giving serious consideration as to whether Sterling should be sent home before opting to drop him for one game. The 24-year-old is England's most creative player and has been spoken of as a future captain because of the leadership skills he has developed over the past few seasons, a notion encouraged by Southgate.

New mark under Gomez's eye

laoislad

Jamie Carragher has a new podcast show, the episode with Jordan Henderson is well worth a listen.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: laoislad on November 15, 2019, 10:07:18 AM
Jamie Carraghers has a new podcast show, the episode with Jordan Henderson is well worth a listen.
Just been listening to it. Both big fans of Roy!
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

laoislad

Quote from: gerrykeegan on November 15, 2019, 02:16:17 PM
Quote from: laoislad on November 15, 2019, 10:07:18 AM
Jamie Carraghers has a new podcast show, the episode with Jordan Henderson is well worth a listen.
Just been listening to it. Both big fans of Roy!
Sure aren't we all  ;)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

supersub

Quote from: J70 on November 12, 2019, 11:55:57 AM
Quote from: Hound on November 12, 2019, 10:14:55 AM
Quote from: Taylor on November 12, 2019, 09:57:17 AM
Quote from: Hound on November 12, 2019, 08:43:59 AM
Quote from: laoislad on November 12, 2019, 08:01:44 AM
My money would be on Gomez in a fight against Sterling.
Some sympathy going around for Sterling, but whatever he did it must have been pretty bad to get thrown out of England camp!

In fairness to him, he had a really good game on Sunday, but thankfully (and very surprisingly) De Bruyne and Aguero were awful.

I have a feeling both teams will drop a higher than usual amount of points between now and early Jan.

If it had been a game against a top team there is no way he would have been thrown out
Still a massive statement to throw him out. A very public admonishment. No attempt to dress it up as something else. It would have been easy to say he's picked up a minor niggle and for Southgate to just privately tell him not to do whatever he did again.

Idiotic from Southgate.

Two young, highly competitive lads in a very significant and emotional game have a brief go at each other and there is minor spillover afterwards. Shocking stuff I tell ye!

Hardly idiotic. Try and contain your anti England bias lads.

He did right, it would have got out eventually. Obviously serious enough aggression shown. Out of line and rightly disciplined. Not too many rivalries in recent years between clubs which could spill over into England camp, but he has nipped this straight away, fair play.

Boycey

Did he nip it in the bud though or pour flames on a situation that would have died a death otherwise.... I read that Gomez was booed by some when he came on the other night, probably the same knuckleheads that were booing Sterling a while back in fairness....

under the bar

What's up with big VVD then? Doubt if he's been around Merseyside long enough to get affected by shameful typical Scouse stuff Fowler/Rodgers/Firmino made their names for.  Expect it's something more family orientated?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50453770

Gabriel_Hurl

J70

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 18, 2019, 05:51:26 AM
A village is missing it's idiot

I didn't even have to scroll back to the previous page to know who you were talking about.

dec

Quote from: J70 on November 18, 2019, 08:55:21 AM

I didn't even have to scroll back to the previous page to know who you were talking about.

"You are ignoring this user." is a wonderful feature

Dire Ear

Salah, Robinson and Matip out for Palace game but should still win.... yes ?  2-0

t_mac

He is from Tyrone, one idiot gone wouldn't be missed.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: Dire Ear on November 22, 2019, 08:22:44 AM
Salah, Robinson and Matip out for Palace game but should still win.... yes ?  2-0

Salah and Robertson took some part in training yesterday so not ruled out yet.