Heaney blasts BBCNI

Started by bennydorano, November 06, 2007, 09:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

passedit

QuoteAudience figures for radio listening across the UK are collated by Rajar and are subject to analogous contractual constraints. We believe that such information is not covered by the Act and will not be making it voluntarily available in response to this request.

The above is an extract from the reply to Donagh, yet yer man stated that if coverage was based on audience figures then there'd only be Motorcycling and soccer on. How can we check the veracity of that statement if they won't publish the figures?

Donagh a copy of your correspondence and that question to Dunseith would be no harm.

BTW everyone should keep complaining, the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

I'm told the BBC gets the most complaints when they actually do show GAA so maybe thats why they're so reluctant to show it.
Don't Panic

ziggysego

Quote from: Bensars on November 06, 2007, 02:15:20 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on November 06, 2007, 02:13:10 PM
Quote from: Bensars on November 06, 2007, 02:07:53 PM
My apologies ziggy, ailsa.orr@bbc.co.uk.    Typo on my part.

Greencastle got another mention. !     Its all your fault ziggy. We're paying for you' un's basking in the glory of croke Park ! ;)

Another mention? What you mean? Didn't hear the radio this morning.

Shane Glynn is the Executive Producer of Sport, said that the BBC followed Greencastle to Croke park, and to cut a long story short, no money in the budget for any other coverage

Just listened to it now.

Greencastle got a passing mention on the news. Stephen Watson couldn't wait to get that mention out of the way.

On Season Ticket, it was a programme dedication to the Portugese Manager of English club Chelsea. There was also a large part about how the GAA let go of their "bigotary" to allow the IRFU into their new "home".

At the end of the show there was a 4 minute report about how Greencastle, Owen Roe and Ahoghill at All-Ireland Finals in Croke Park. Was nice to see, but I wouldn't be using it as a bench-mark as how good GAA coverage is on the BBC.
Testing Accessibility

Pangurban

Have just registered complaint with BBC, but dont expect any rational or meaningful reply. However a large enough volume of complaints should place the issue on their Radar screens and raise it up their agenda. If you have not as yet complained, please do so now

snatter

Ziggy,

re
QuoteThere was also a large part about how the GAA let go of their "bigotary" to allow the IRFU into their new "home".

What exactly did they say? Who said it - an interviewee or a presenter?
Did anybody record it? Is there a transcript / recording online.

If a BBC presenter said it, or the interviewee wasn't challenged on this "bigotry", then there are clear grounds for a wave of new complaints of anti-GAA bias.

It takes a real anti-GAA bias to equate not allowing rival sports to use your own private property with "bigotry".

ziggysego

Quote from: snatter on November 07, 2007, 09:07:46 AM
Ziggy,

re
QuoteThere was also a large part about how the GAA let go of their "bigotary" to allow the IRFU into their new "home".

If a BBC presenter said it, or the interviewee wasn't challenged on this "bigotry", then there are clear grounds for a wave of new complaints of anti-GAA bias.

It takes a real anti-GAA bias to equate not allowing rival sports to use your own private property with "bigotry".

Watson was the presenter, the interviewee was some auld timer.
Testing Accessibility

snatter

Quote from: ziggysego on November 07, 2007, 11:57:20 AM
Quote from: snatter on November 07, 2007, 09:07:46 AM
Ziggy,

re

Watson was the presenter, the interviewee was some auld timer.

So which one mentioned bigotry?

Who was this ould timer? Did Watson challenge the bigotry opinion, if it was the ould timer that said it?

ziggysego

The auld timer said it, Watson said nothing. Don't remember who he was.
Testing Accessibility

winsamsoon

If they are making a case for motorcycling and soccer then i can only imagine it is based on ignorance and a sheer lack of knowledge. The Irish league is played on a weekly basis, and the biggest attendance would be maybe 1,000 at a top game. Then there are all the amateur clubs that play which would probably total 1000 between them. The reason they see Gaelic as a sport that is not popular is because they don't come from a gaelic background. If they had someone who came from a gaelic background they would know that there are hundreds of fans who follow club, county and provence each week in the GAA circles. Motorcyling attracts one big crowd a year and in no way should get a bigger budget than the GAA. People can skate around the issue if they like but lets call a spade a spade . We don't have the coverage because we are an all Ireland body which would stick in the throats of the people who call the GAA bigoted. This is why we don't hear or see any mention of the GAA because the powers that be have decided that it needs to be opressed.  On how many occasion have we witnessed coverage of the GAA portrayed in a negative view? It was a big deal when the where discussing rules 21 an 42 because these spin doctors where waiting for the GAA to fail. But when it comes to promoting the game we all love and know it is simply swept aside.Fair play to Paddy Heaney because we need more people with a higher profile than just an ordinary GAA member to fight the corner. Everyone on this board should write a letter to the bbc and let them know of ourdisgust.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Feckitt

bailestil

Quote from: ziggysego on November 07, 2007, 12:08:15 PM
The auld timer said it, Watson said nothing. Don't remember who he was.

You can watch all the Season Ticket shows here
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/season_ticket/6479719.stm

Leo

Quote from: winsamsoon on November 07, 2007, 04:08:36 PM
If they are making a case for motorcycling and soccer then i can only imagine it is based on ignorance and a sheer lack of knowledge. The Irish league is played on a weekly basis, and the biggest attendance would be maybe 1,000 at a top game. Then there are all the amateur clubs that play which would probably total 1000 between them. The reason they see Gaelic as a sport that is not popular is because they don't come from a gaelic background. If they had someone who came from a gaelic background they would know that there are hundreds of fans who follow club, county and provence each week in the GAA circles. Motorcyling attracts one big crowd a year and in no way should get a bigger budget than the GAA. People can skate around the issue if they like but lets call a spade a spade . We don't have the coverage because we are an all Ireland body which would stick in the throats of the people who call the GAA bigoted. This is why we don't hear or see any mention of the GAA because the powers that be have decided that it needs to be opressed.  On how many occasion have we witnessed coverage of the GAA portrayed in a negative view? It was a big deal when the where discussing rules 21 an 42 because these spin doctors where waiting for the GAA to fail. But when it comes to promoting the game we all love and know it is simply swept aside.Fair play to Paddy Heaney because we need more people with a higher profile than just an ordinary GAA member to fight the corner. Everyone on this board should write a letter to the bbc and let them know of ourdisgust.

Ther is little point in making complaits unl;ess backed up by facts.
As far as I am aware Sports Council statistics confirm that GAA is by far the biggest spectator sport in N. Ire.
Motorcylcing is second but interestingly its flagship event (NW200) is free to spectators and anyone who goes to it will know it is more of a Portrush drinks fest than anything else with the majority being casual follow-the-crowd revellers.
I repeat my point that the GAA authorities are seriously neglectful in this area and should have marshalled an irrefutable argument long ago. They're too busy cosying up to the RTE mandarins in D4 with expensive (liquid) lunch accounts).
Fierce tame altogether

zoyler

There are rumours in Belfast that a number of prominent GAA going barristers & solicitors are preparing a writ to be slapped on the BBC dor 'discriminatory practices' in reporting sport. 
What happened last week can only make their task a lot easier.  If there are budgetary constraints they should be shared. 

How did they find out the scores anyway?  To they have some one listening out for them on local radio stations so they can avoid the cost of telephone calls?

passedit

QuoteIf they are making a case for motorcycling and soccer then i can only imagine it is based on ignorance and a sheer lack of knowledge.

Its not ignorance, they have the ratings figures they just won't share them.

QuoteTher is little point in making complaits unl;ess backed up by facts.

Facts that are being withheld as far as i can see. 
Don't Panic

winsamsoon

They may have viewing figures but it is sheer ignorance as regarding treatment of the GAA because they clearly do not know how many follow it, when they drop programmes and fail to report on key games on the grounds of figures.

winsamsoon

ok i have the link for the season ticket thing but what episode was it.?????